Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

What are the side effects of Vyvanse?

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
About a week and a half ago my doctor wrote me a prescription for 60mg of Vyvanse to be taken once daily. Prior to this I had been taking Adderall (15mg) but he wanted to see if Vyvanse would any better. The first few days I took Vyvanse I felt fine. A little more wired than I would have felt on Adderall but nothing crazy. About four days ago I started having shortness of breath that gradually increased in severity. Last Sunday I actually thought I was going to die because I simply couldn't breathe but when the paramedics arrived they said I was just (just? really?) hyperventilating. What is the deal here? Is this normal for this drug? Now even on a lower dose of Vyvanse I'm getting heart palpitations and shortness of breath. Why would Vyvanse do this and not Adderall? Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2010
I take Vyvanese because i simply tear up everything in my path. I get overly hyper and i cant set still its ADHD (Attention Deficite Hyper Disorder). I take vyvanese 50 mg. I used to take 100mg. But it would make me concentrate too much and i would go crazy and have to fix everything. so im down to 50mg. The side effects of Vyvanese are more concentration on what you should be concentrating on like school or work. Also you wont wanna talk to your friends as much until your out of school. I also lost 80 pounds on Vyvanese it keeps you motivated and helps you but it can also reduce your eating activities and make you feel nausiated. That feeling will eventually go away though and you will gain weight back. I am currently on Vyvanese for about three years. Right now i just took it about a hour ago actually but one thing i do know is your body will respond in different ways. When you first take it for a few months i had bad dreams and i thought i was going crazy but i wasint its just a side effect and those go away also taking another medication if perscribed by a doctor shouldint do anything taking into consideration if it effected u in any way that might hurt you the doctor wouldint have perscribed it to you. So the side effects your feeling will go away i promice. if your having a shortness of breath it might be because your overwhelmed and you need something to do. When you take Vyvanese you have to do something to keep your brain active or else you might hyperventilate. this medicine helps you do stuff even on a day you feel lazy just take one pill a day in the morning with water!! Wright something do something and you should get by fine.. if not maybe your having a reaction to Adderall. Anyways (ADHD) is a very difficult thing to go through i like burning things breaking things and ripping things apart no matter what it is. When i take Vyvanese it helps me clean make things spotless it helps me understand things around me more and i get less distracted. This medicine wont effect someone who dont really have ADHD. So be careful. You might not even have it. *IMPORTANT* This drug may impair your ability to drive or operate machinery. Use care until you become familiar with its effects. Make sure to only take Vyvanese in the morning or you will be up all night trying to do something to keep your attention. Also, make sure to take this medication every morning even on weekends or every Monday it will be like your effects start over. NEVER!! miss a day trust me.
|

replied August 14th, 2010
Vivance Tics
I am trying to seek information about tics, anybody know about tics on this medication, my 14yr adhd daughter was put on vivance a month ago, and all of a sudden she has developed this annoying little cough
|

replied May 21st, 2012
Tics are kind of common. I have a friend on Adderall XR who plays with his hair constantly. I am on Vyvanse 50mg and I chew on and pick at the skin next to my fingernails until my fingers bleed and can't seem to stop unless I keep bandaids on them. I don't even notice I'm doing it until my fingers begin to sting and bleed....it's like I get into hyperfocus mode. Sometimes, depending on the tic, if you bring it to the individual's attention, they will be more conscious of it, and try to do it less.
|

replied May 21st, 2012
Tics are kind of common. I have a friend on Adderall XR who plays with his hair constantly. I am on Vyvanse 50mg and I chew on and pick at the skin next to my fingernails until my fingers bleed and can't seem to stop unless I keep bandaids on them. I don't even notice I'm doing it until my fingers begin to sting and bleed....it's like I get into hyperfocus mode. Sometimes, depending on the tic, if you bring it to the individual's attention, they will be more conscious of it, and try to do it less.
|

replied October 30th, 2012
ADHD medications, side-effects and abuse potential
The first posting on this string, holy crap I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been working with my doc to figure out an effective medication. It has been a while since I've taken meds. Ritalin used to work until I stopped taking it, tried taking it again and caused bad side-effect(rage!) Adderal was just yucky feeling. Straterra was just so expensive and it made me wet myself, but it help with ADHD. Now I've got great insurance and it would be nice to be able to not drive other people crazy with all this off the wall hyper stuff and getting so distracted. I started taking Vyvanse 40mgs for about half a couple of weeks. It wasn't making any difference really. So I doubled the dose. There was a noticable difference. I didn't have to chase my thoughts around in my head and I was able to finish a sentence without forgetting what the hell I was talking about. However, about a week or so after I upped the dose I began to feel tight chested and as if I couldn't take in enough air. I would black out when I stood up sometimes. Oh and it just so happened that I had an Army PT test. I normally get anywhere from 280-300+ (300 is a perfect score). This time I failed my run time....like failed it as if I were one of the fat boys...bad bad. I didn't take my vyvance for the next few days, I ran again and did fine, too bad it didn't count. Anyways I had run out because I had double dose(doctor recommended) and I was too busy to get a new script. So I went back to the doc, reported the results and decided on a 70mg capsule. We also talked about the random running problems.....we both were thinking allergies or something. So now I've been taking the 70mgs of vyvance for just over a week now. Been getting very dizzy when standing up. I was able to run yesterday. Later in the day yesterday I felt like couldn't breath. I treat anxiety disorders and I know I won't die and that I am in fact getting enough air but holy cow. I went running again today I couldn't last any longer than a minute without almost blacking out. Oh and it gets better, I've got another PT test coming up in a few days, I plan on not taking anymore and hopefully I can breath.
On a different note. I want to caution users of stimulant medication to help with attention and focus. It used to be taboo for people to be taking medications like ritalin/adderal. But now concerta, focalin, the snri straterra, and vyvance has come into the world. It has now become taboo to talk about academic doping. Especially when there is so much weight on school success. Who doesn't want a more efficient brain...? Put that thought aside for now. If you are experiencing a euphoric(highly pleasurable)sense of brilliance and/or motivation to complete tasks, then more than likely you don't have ADHD. ADHD is an organic brain disorder, which is why insurances will no longer pay for counseling for someone with a primary Dx of ADHD. ADHD brain underproduces select neurochemicals, dopamine is one of them. The stimulants cause more dopamine to be produced. For ADHD people, that brings them up to normal. For non-ADHD individuals, this causes something similar to mania. Typically ADHD people don't crash when they skip a day, its just not addictive psychologically or physically because they have been at a normal level. Typically non-ADHD will most definitly crash from skipping a day, because they have been operating at a much higher level. If you are experiencing positive side-effects (things that appear when on the meds, like hair pulling, scratching or picking skin, tics, coughs...) this is a good indicator that the medication is innappropriate for you. There are many causes for symptoms that mimic ADHD. Kids are super sensative to any issues at home or at school. It is important to always work with an experienced mental health provider in order to rule out other possible causes before seeking a diagnosis of ADHD in order to get meds.
|

replied October 30th, 2012
Experienced User
Okay I finally got a posting from the people who are throwing Vyvanse at us. So I am going to put their link below. I notice they have erased all the comments they used to have. - To save themselves from problems I would suspect, but honestly I am not afraid to tell the truth about these disgusting meds. My son takes the Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids in a chewable form and he is doing fine. He won't touch medication ever again!. Yes and he still hears voices from the darn Vyvanse. Nothing is better than the medications you get. Nutrition is the key to all the crap we have with mental conditions and our food in this country is just plain garbage and full of things to kill us all off (Genetically Modified, transfats, high fructose corn syrup, refined everything to name just a few). Anyway I hope this link will show up and you can vent your frustration to them as well. Good luck. "Vyvanse - The New Medicine for ADD/ADHD".
|