Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

What are the best cures for kidney infection?

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years and over that period I developed a lot of kidney infections. The more sex we have the worse the kidney infections are. Is there a link between the two?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Females have a higher risk for UTIs than most males, probably because of their anatomy, because their urethra is short and its exit (or entry for pathogens) is close to the anus and vagina, which can be sources of pathogens.

In addition, females who become sexually active seem to have a higher risk of UTI. This is due to the fact that during sexual intercourse, bacteria in the perineal region (Vaginal Introitus, Anal opening) can be propelled into the urethra. The resultant friction associated with sex also creates urethral tissue damage increasing the severity of infections.

Adopting a few precautions and important measures will help prevent recurrent urinary infections. These include -

1. Good hygiene - for females, wiping from front to back helps keeps pathogens in the perineal region away from the urethra;

2. Complete bladder emptying and avoiding the urge to resist normal urinary urge is important.

3. Washing and urinating before sexual intercourse and soon after sex, also helps to reduce the chance of urethritis / cystitis.

4. Avoiding factors that irritate the genital area also is helpful. For example, tight clothing, deodorant sprays, or other feminine products like bubble bath should be avoided as they may encourage UTI development.

5. Wearing absorptive underwear (for example, cotton instead of those made with synthetic material) may help wick away urine drops that otherwise may be areas for pathogen growth.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.