Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

What are symptoms of myelofibrosis or AML

Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
I am writing on behalf of my father, who is 60 years old. I am with him in hospital right now with no answers to his condition. He has been sick now for about 15 years. It started off initially back than as sore legs apon exercising, throughout the years it took less and less exercise to cause the pain which was extending to other appendeges. Than it became accompanied with swelling and very little exercise as well as red sores under the skin, and in his mouth when an attack of this sort would come on. We have now been in the hospital for the past week, he has had 2 blood transfusions, which have been complicated because he has an allergic reaction to the proteins in the blood. He has lost 30bls in past 5 weeks and his spleen is 23 cm and his liver is 22cm. His blood shows low red blood cell count, low platelets and his white blood cells are elevated. The dr's have been scratching there heads because the swelling and pain and red sores come and go and their is no continuity with it. A ct scan was done which showed the enlargement of the spleen and liver, but there was no visible signs of any masses. He is suppose to get his bone marrow extracted tomorrow, which i am hoping will produce a diagnosis. Through my own research i was thinking that his condition sounded abit like myelofibrosis or AML. If you have any advice or direction on this could you please get back to me. My email address is brandy_howard@hotmail.com
Thanks for your time
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 28th, 2011
Symptoms of myleofribross include splenomegaly,bone pain,pancytopenia which cause easy infection,pallor and easy bleeding.A bone marrow aspiration and biopsy should be done to diagnose the disease and AML.Chromosone examination also shoud be done to make the diagnosis.Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?