Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

wetting pants

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
Hi, Im a guy 22 years old and have a problem with wetting myself. The urge just hits me all of a sudden and I just cant hold it. Its like my bladder muscle just shuts down when I try to retain it. It happened most recently when I was standing in line at a conveneince store to get a pack of cigarettes. All of a sudden I felt a sensation in my bladder sort of like a twitch, then a powerful urge to go. I was about the 3rd or 4th person in line, and the line was long, so I just tightened up the best I could but the urge kept getting worse. I felt it start to travel up my urethra so I cupped my hand over my goin to try to hold it better then I felt a tiny small bit of warmness and I knew some had came out. I was still trying to hold on to keep it in but finally an urge hit me like a title wave and then a high pressure stream had started and I couldnt stop it. People were staring and snickering because of the huge wet area on my pants. I bought the cigarettes any way cause after that really needed one. Im glad I was out of town so no one knew me. This happens alot in my life, not this particular incident but similar. The doctor told me its just an overactive bladder, he prescribed medication, and it cleared up for a while but now its starting again. Has this ever happened to anyone before, if so how did you deal with it, because its put a damper on my social life.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2008
Community Volunteer
What type of doctor did you see? Family physician or a urologist and what type of tests were done to establish that you have an overactive bladder? What type of medication?

I've had issues with my bladder and my urologist checked urine for bacteria and looked inside the bladder (out patient basis not painful), reviewed kidneys, etc. There are a number of things that could cause the sudden urge and eventaully leakage of urine. It is a matter of identifying the culprit and taking the necessary action to correct the problem.

I know being 22 you may not want to do this however to keep from having others witness another leakage would you consider wearing something like Depends? They have come a long way and they are not bulky like one would think (I've never used them but I have seen them in my day).
|

replied August 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi

Follow up with your doctor. Are you off the medication now? Some people end up on the medication for a long time.
I agree with zigemyster.....see a urologist if you are ask him/her about doing a urine test, scans, a cystoscopy (which looks into the bladder and they can go further up and check out the kidneys).

They do make Depends or Poise for men, I know it's not something you want either as zigemyster said but for now it might be the best option until you see your doctor.

I don't know if the kegal exercise work men (I found articles online and it says it does help). Here's a link: (you might want to try this as well)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegel_exercis e

It's still important to follow up with your doctor.
Keep us posted....All the Best.
|

The doctor was a physician and he prescribed the medication, and the urologist I went to said the same thing due to the symptoms I was having, but he tested my urine anyway and said it was clean. I have been having this problem for a long time so if it was something terminal I would have been dead along time ago. I had to end the relationship I was in because I didnt want her to find out when the accidents started again. I wasnt mean to her or anything like that , I just told her I needed some space. And my friends from college all want to go and have some beers and go to concerts and they are wondering why Im so distant now. Im just trying to deal with the emotional aspect of this, forgive me if Im rambling I appreciate the both of you zigemyster and Serenity trying to help
|

could this be a problem with dating, I mean I have never had trouble with the relationship its self, but since my accidents started again Im just affraid to even try.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I would recommend a follow up with one of your doctors.

I think once you find out the underlying cause you will be more confident in dating and having a relationship. Don't give up hope...you will get answer.
Call your doctor, please.

Let us know how you are and what the doctor says.
|

replied January 1st, 2009
Hi
I am 24 and I was born without the muscels closing bladder and bowels. That´s why I never came out of diapers. Believe me I understand you very well. There have been MANY very embaressing situations to me and starting kindergarten till finishing high school life was really hell to me!

My family always stood and stand now beside me and although both of my brothers are much younger they never laughed at me. That helps me so much and gave me the strenght to take me how am I.

I hope things will come clear for you and wish you all the best things for this new year!!

Greetings
GREGOR
|

replied July 20th, 2009
I am a 46 year old male. I suffer from OAB. It started in my late twenties with sudden urges and wet spots on my pants. Accidents and Bedwetting started within 5 years. With the help of my urologist I have regained some control of an almost uncontrolable bladder. My dayis much easier with Detrol and Depends Underwear,I have very few accidents. Nightime I still have accidents, so I wear Diapers in the evening and to bed. Its not every night. It changes day to day.
|

replied November 29th, 2009
I am having the same exact problem for the last 2 months that is how it is for me iv been peeeing every hour or sooner cuz I dont even feel like i need to go at al tehn it hits me then a few min later im bending in diffrent directions trying to stop the warm flow of pee and its a lot of pee like it leaves a very pig puddle even if i peed 30 min ago, Im really shamed of this nobody knows exept thows who seen me have an accident. Sad
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
I've had the same problem for about a month. I've been having side-effects from chemo & radiation (I have GBM brain cancer, stage 4).
My legs and ankles & feet swelled up to almost twice their normal size. The cancer docs at Duke Brain Cancer Center in Durham said it was likely water-retention caused by the other drugs they were trying on me. I now take about 50 pills a day. So, they added a diuretic which makes me pee all the time, uncontrolled 1/2 of the time. The diuretic did reduce the swelling in my lower extremities. Now I wear 2 pairs of Depend for Men all day every day. They are always completely sodden and very uncomfortable and since I cannot lean over, near impossible to change to fresh pairs. GBM cancer is normally inoperable and completely incurable. The only good news is that GBM does not spread or metastasize, and is generally described as "easy death" because it leaves the lungs and liver alone. It would seem one option would be to cut back the diuretic, but the swelling is too dangerous, per docs, due to possible pulmonary embolisms (which I've been hospitalized for several times since my initial brain operation last Oct.16th. (I"v already survived 4 months longer than the initial diagnoses)
Anyway, this situation is anything but "easy", if there was only SOME way to avoid the constant wet-pants, life would have such a better quality. Now, I'm just miserable, all the time. I probably raved on for too long, but I'm getting desperate, and thinking about dropping the diuretic on my own. Right now my main focus is staying DRY for just part of the time.
|