Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Wellbutrin dosage ?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I've been depressed for about nine months now, triggered by a breakup. I finally decided to see a doctor. She prescribed Wellbutrin for me. She prescribed the regular Wellbutrin 150mg per day to be taken in the morning. Based on everything I've seen online, I don't think this is a correct dosage for this form of wellbutrin. I've been on it for only a couple of days, but I'm really anxious for it to start working cause this depression is starting to affect my life very badly.

What do you guys think?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2009
Experienced User
I think depression has to be treated at the cause, medicine can only take away the physical acing, not the mental stability.

What caused your depression, is it a trauma?
Are you unhappy with yourself or your life? Is there something you desire in life, but haven't been able to grasp?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2009
Experienced User
Then ask her. But I think it is a correct dosage. I think it is a lower dosage. If you are really depressed then get a higher one.
|

replied December 29th, 2009
Wellbutrin question if correct dosage
I appreciate that Depression is miserable to live with; and now that you have made the step to go on medication you are eager to be sure you are on the right dosage. I can understand your uncertainty about whether you are on the correct dosage, because Wellbutrin/bupropion is particularly confusing because it has a number of regarding its number of forms.
If you are on the trade name Wellbutrin you could be on the form that generally is taken 3 times a day; or the SR (sustained release) form which, due to the longer half-life (how long it stays in the body before breaking down by the liver) is taken twice daily; while the XL (extended release), with the longest half-life is taken once a day. Since every medication has side effects, most physicians start their patients on the regular or immediate release to see if they have any negative effects, before increasing the dosage or changing to those with a longer half-life. So I agree with the individual who encouraged you to ask your physician about the dosage if you have a question. I also, in a way, agree with the person who suggested that medications aren't the ideal treatment. Though they do more than cover symptoms--actually helping your brain shift back into functioning like it is supposed to; they way they work is complex and take time (4-8 weeks) before you will see the effects of a particular dosage; and may require a change in the dosage or particular medication before good effect is seen. In general, after it is fully effective, the individual suffering with their first depressive episode should take the medication at the same dosage regularly for 9 to 18 months to give their brain a full chance at recovery. This will minimize the likelihood they will need to take them again later in their lives. In addition, research has shown that the combination of medications and counseling is more effective than either alone in reducing recurrance. Good luck - and hang in there valerie
|

replied April 19th, 2011
dosage
What if my doctor won't listen? He has me on 150 sr 1 time a day. I asked him to increase the dosage to the recomened level and he refuses too. I am not challenging him I just want to feel better! Dawn
|

replied September 20th, 2011
I just recently was put on the same dosage and was wondering if this is the normal amount that doctors put their patients on when starting this prescription. I thought it seemed like a high amount, but after reading the comment above, it must be what is a general dosage? Is this true? If so, I feel better about that but would like to know for sure.
|