Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Wellbutrin and alcohol (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I just started on wellbutrin yesterday. I noticed many warnings about alcohol consumption. Has anyone drank on this med? What is the biggest problem with drinking and wellbutrin? I start out 150mg for a week, then 150mg twice a day. I really want this medication to work for me. But I do enjoy social drinking. I'm willing to stop social drinking, if the meds will make the panic , mild-depression, and racing thoughts go away. I have never been on medication before. I feel like a nut job. Just any good advice would be great.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SFLouis
|

replied April 22nd, 2008
Experienced User
I am not saying this is a good thing, but my brother has been on Wellbutrin for years for depression and has several drinks each night. He is a very successul business man and has a lot of stress in his job, (who doesn't) and alcohol seems to relax him each night. He was having severe depression and had an anxiety attack approximately 8 years ago. The Wellbutrin and Buspar for anxiety work great for him. My doctor recently prescribed Effexor for me and told me that a glass of wine or two each night is acceptable. In fact, he recommended it, if alcoholism did not run in my family. The Effexor did not work for me, but I understand it is a great antidepressant/anxiety medication for many. Good luck - I hope this works for you.
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
As far as light, social drinking, that's probably something to ask your doctor how much is considered ok. However, I would NEVER recommend drinking as a substitute for proper treatment of a mental illness, because anxiety/depression/bipolar are huge precursors to addiction.

check this out http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepre ssants-and-alcohol/AN01653
|

replied April 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
You are sooo correct - alcohol only helps temporarily! Why can the antidepressants/anxiety medications not do what the alcohol does (as far as calming the nerves due to stress and anxiety)? I think a lot of people that become dependent on alcohol have not had success with prescription meds, so they turn to alcohol.
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I agree that it's so hit and miss with prescriptions. I'm just really wary of people self-medicating with alcohol or drugs, having seen so many people in my own life do it and end up addicted. Yikes!!
|

replied April 25th, 2008
Experienced User
How true - a lot of people do not even seek medical advice for these symptoms and just turn to drugs or alcohol. However, a lot do and still do not get relief. Anxiety/Depression is different for everyone and so are the effects of medication prescribed. Hopefully, if one keeps trying they will find one that works for them - so far, I have not. Still trying - even desperate enough after 7 different doctors, to try acupuncture.
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Interesting, let us know how that works for ya.
|

replied April 28th, 2008
Experienced User
I don't know about Wellbutrin but you seem to get more drunk on antidepressants I think.

The first time I drank on Prozac I didn't think it would affect my alcohol tolerance but I ended up getting way too drunk and blacking out. It was a huge creeper, I was drinking and having fun then next second I know i'm awake in my room after a night of drinking and having no idea how I got home.

I can hold my alcohol fine especially if I drink just beers but this other night I went to a party and ended up getting really drunk after just beer which was weird. I usually only get really drunk if I drink hard liquor.
|

replied April 29th, 2008
Experienced User
That is true! The label on the medication prescription bottle does say that alcohol may intensify the effect.
|

replied July 11th, 2008
ive been on wellbutrin (450mg) for three or four months now. most of the time, i havent had problems when i drink. however, there have been a few instances where they have not mixed well. one was because i went on vacation and had a four day "binge", which was followed by a four or five days of depression. but anyway, just be more careful. wellbutrin can increase the effects of alcohol, meaning you should drink a lot slower, and you may not be able to intake as much as you normally would.

as for the warnings on the label about seizures, your risk increases if you take a higher dosage (like 450mg, as opposed to 150mg)
|

replied February 17th, 2009
Alcohol Cravings and Wellbutrin
My psychiatrist actually prescribed Wellbutrin to help me stop having alcohol cravings. She said having a couple drinks a night is okay, but that I should listen to my body and stop if I don't feel like I need it (which is what I usually feel). She said many of her patients who usually have a couple drinks a day will have half a glass and then find that they don't care to have anymore. So, I hope it works, but I wouldn't suggest drinking more than one or two drinks a day.
|

replied February 28th, 2009
The site
There are all these quesions people posted but not responses to the questions how is this suppose to be helpful??
|

replied February 28th, 2009
Community Volunteer
In answer to the original question, drinking should not be done with Wellbutrin or any other medication where it stipulates this...This is put on the label for a reason...One may counteract the other or it could bring on other bad reactions....Some could be fatal when used to extreme....

If anyone has any questions pertaining to their prescription, they should contact the Pharmacist.....She/he is the best and only reputable judge of this medication....The doctor does not carry all these facts in his head.....He can't....He is overloaded to start....The Pharmacist is like a doctor in her/his own right....And believe me, they are helpful.....

Hope this helps....
Caroline
|

replied March 10th, 2009
Britt
I agree with Karena83 the questions where :
Has anyone drank on this med? What is the biggest problem with drinking and wellbutrin?
These awnsers like : You should not and alcohol only helps temporarily! * sigh * so tyering .
Nobody is a saint ... we all somethimes do things that we are not supose 2 do . A lot of people enjoy a nice wine with there food , but have to take med. for some reason .Is it so bad if you make a exception somethimes and be informed about what the sight effects are? If BullZye awnser was about wellbutrin then that would have helpt . Almost the same happent 2 me ( it was like i combinated alcohol with a sleepingpill ) after drinking only 3 beer , but im happy that i decide to drink in my own house with friends who i trust , maybe if you do decide 2 drink then that would be a good tip.
Anyway if i wasnt so clear in what im saying
Im sorry my english is not all that good , because im from The Netherland ... sorry for that.

I hope for everybody that starts with this med. that it will work for them , because somethimes it can be hell finding the right med .

Good luck 2 everybody
Nyway this dosnt really help you either cause it was efexor what i was taking not wellbutrin.
Soon ill be starting on wellbutrin myself and im also curios about the experience of other people.
|

replied April 16th, 2009
Wellbutrin and alchohol
Mixing alcohol and Wellbutrin increases the risk of seizures. That said, my husband has been on Wellbutrin for several months and does occasionally have a glass of wine or two with dinner to no ill effects. I have noticed that since he's been on the Wellbutrin he drinks much less anyhow. I think that's because he was so anxious before he got help that he was using booze to calm down. This is better.
|

replied April 29th, 2009
alcohol and wellbutrin
I've been on it for about 5 or 6 weeks. I only take one pill 150mg about mid-morning. I'm a fairly heavy drinker. With the Wellbutrin, I believe I increased my drinking.....because I started to feel better and had more desire to go out. So go figure. However, I have not had any problems with blacking out or getting more drunk. I feel exactly the same effect from alcohol as I did when drinking without the Wellbutrin. I don't know if it is effecting my liver adversely, as some claim it is tough on that organ (I'm talking about the Wellbutrin, we already all know alcohol is not exactly health food).

I can say that I feel much better with this pill. I have my energy back and I don't often have that nagging feeling of depression tugging at the back of the skull. The few times I do feel depressed, the beast seems to appear for only a moment, I wave hello, and then it goes back in its hole....nice! I'm curious as to what I would feel increasing the dose. This could conceivably give me problems when combined with alcohol, however.

The one negative side-effect I do seem to experience is getting overly angry at stupid things....such as if someone cuts me off with their car. My reaction can be very strong and I am a little afraid of getting into a fight or making a scene as it is difficult to control even though often I realize I am being irrational. I haven't seen too many folks pointing out this type of reaction though I have read on the internet that it can happen.

...I'm doing my best....what more can one ask???

Good luck everyone.

P
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
If you have not been diagnosed bipolar look out for this, because depression and alcoholism could be symptoms of bipolarity, and you irritable mood under wellbutrin could be a manic/hypomanic state induced by this medication... Just be aware that this is a possibility... Sorry for my english..
|

replied November 17th, 2011
I've been on wellbutrin for just about a month and I have a short temper as well. I would not jump to the conclusion of this being bipolar, bipolar is much different than getting easily angered. Not that I'm a doctor or know much but irritability is a side effect of wellbutrin. Depression can make a person anger easier and adding anti-depressants can heighten that. Just something to keep in mind.
|

replied May 1st, 2009
I have only been on Wellbutrin for a few days for mild situational depression and I have a first date coming up in 5 days. We are supposed to go to a wine bar for a glass or two of wine. Should I stop taking the wellbutrin for a few days or should I test out how I do with a glass or two this weekend. I am not a big drinker but do enjoy a glass of wine a few times a month. There is another forum that people report blacking out and acting very bizarre...but they drink a lot and some also use drugs. I want this date to go well and my life to be back to "normal."

L
|

replied June 13th, 2009
I have been taking Wellbutrin 150mg once in the morning for about 4 months now. This medicine noticeably increases the effect that alcohol has on me. Before taking this medicine, I could drink up to 4-5 beers (12 oz.) or 2-3 mixed drinks and I would feel tipsy or a little more than tipsy depending on the alcoholic content of the drinks. Now, I can only have one small mixed drink or a beer and a half and I feel tipsy.

On one occasion, I drank way too much on this medication. I went to the bars with some friends and probably had 4-6 mixed drinks. Although I did not black out, I felt absolutely horrible. It was almost like the first time I over indulged with alcohol in high school. I was very nauseous after a period of acting like a drunken idiot. The next day, in addition to a hangover, I felt extremely depressed. This period of depression last for about a week. The energy and liveliness that Wellbutrin once restored was gone due to the alcohol.

I have read on another website that alcohol and Wellbutrin effect that same area of the brain, which in turn causes the greater effect of alcohol. Also, alcohol is a known depressant, so I am guessing that the alcohol ( in large quantities) seems to counteract the positive effects of Wellbutrin.

I am a person that loves to drink socially, so it was difficult at first to change my ways. What helped me the most was coming clean to my friends and just letting them know that I can't over do it on the medication I am on. Anyway, I hope this was helpful.
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Ive had panic disorder for about 15 years now, and the first 10 all i had to my disposal was benzos, luckily after many doctor changes and just the medical profession in general changing paxil came along for me about 5 years ago and my panic went away for a good while. Lately its coming back bad, so i started a lexapro trial and it ha curbed the attacks well, but i still feel down and the lexapro makes me drink way too much. See, im an alcoholic, and drink 8-10 beers a night for years, i have the huge gross beer belly, but it has kept me sane and alive in some respects, though i know its shorteing my lifespan significantly. With the lexapro my beer total has gone to 15 a night in some cases over the lst month, and today i started Wellbutrin to try to change my life and tried not to drink at all... bad idea, im now on number 6 but afraid to drink anymore because of all the seizure talk ive read, but i feel fine, just without any alcohol i had a sever panic attack earlier, about 12 hours after i took my first 150 XL this morning. i checked my blood pressure during my attack and it was 149/95, so i freaked out even more and took a .25 xanax. that was 3 hours ago, and i feel much more relaxed and not so freaked out, just checked bp and it was 120/84.

I did feel drunker than normal about 12 hours after i took the piil after 2 beers so stopped for several hours but after a while i just couldnt handle it and started drinking like normal, throwing caution to the wind. i dont plan on drinking more than my usual 8-10 tonight as tomorrow i dont want a massive hangover, but the lexapro seems to have a magical effect on that in its own right. im struggling with this all as i know many of you are, but im finally taking a stand and speaking out on my behavior, which i know has to change if i want to see flying cars or something cool one day.
brando in texas
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
Welbutrin and alcohol
To answer the first question, I have been on welbutrin 150mg for about a week. I asked my doctor, the pharmacist and even a med assistant and they all told me not to drink on it. I decided that I wanted to anyways, so I did. I drink in moderation (I don't let myself get drunk) so 3 beers or 2 glasses of wine are good for me. The only thing I noticed was a slight headache while I was drinking. I think the major reason why they don't want you to drink on it is because of the risk of seizures. This is because drinking alcohol increases this risk and so does welbutrin so combining the two increases the risk even more. Just try to take it slow if you decide to drink. If you start to feel dizzy or get a headache, you should probably stop. I hope this helps.
|