Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Weird Symptoms

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
A month ago I had my normal period and then a week after I got off of it I started up my period again. I took a pregnancy tests and it was negative. A few days ago I was expecting my normal period that corresponded with my first one and it didn't show up. I took a pregnancy test because I have had unprotected sex recently and the test was negative. Now my period still hasn't shown up my nipples are sore and I have an excessive amount of milky white discharge.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2016
Welcome to e health forum.

The regular menstrual cycle in a woman is regulated by secretion of hormones from the hypothalamus, pituitary gland and those from the ovary. Any defect in any of these three sites can change the cyclic changes that occur in the ovary and the uterus and hence influence the menstrual flow.

Irregular periods are usually due to abnormal hormone levels as a result of altered pattern of hormone secretion.

The most common cause for otherwise normal women to have delayed or missed cycles would be hormonal changes associated with stress, anxiety, excessive work or exercise related issues. In such simple causes of missed periods, such women would have their next periods on time normally.

Stress certainly plays a role in suppressing the functioning of the hypothalamus, which controls the pituitary gland — the body's master gland — which, in turn, controls the thyroid and adrenal glands and the ovaries; they all work together to manage hormones. Any change in the hormonal equilibrium can hence affect the menstrual cycle.

Take proper rest and relax yourself. Stress can induce hormonal changes in the body. Destressing with having proper sleep, healthy balanced diet, meditation, practicing deep breathing exercises (yoga, etc) can be helpful and will keep your menstrual cycles regular.

But in cases where the periods have been irregular for long periods, additional evaluation for conditions like Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, ovarian cysts and hypothyroidism need to be ruled out. In such situations, it would be recommended for you to consult a OBGYN doctor, who can examine you and order a few tests (blood tests & ultrasound) which might allow specific diagnosis and proper treatment.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.