Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Weird odor after starting Depo

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
So I started DEPO almost a month ago and everything was fine no weird smell, bleeding nothing. But me and sexual partner was having sex and he tore me a little. And this is when the bleeding began I bleed for a while until I healed a few weeks later but the bleeding continued just pink and first then it gradually looked like blood, then it would go back to being light following this bleeding came a fishy foul smelling that I often can smell through my clothes and wonder if others can to. I have no idea what's wrong and i just want the smell to go away, since I read that light bleeding when first starting is normal.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2017
Community Volunteer
A fishy smell is a good sign of a bacterial infection. The most common one is BV.

Your doctor also needs to make sure you do not have PID or an STD.
|

replied January 15th, 2017
I've been on depo for about a year now, and all I can say is the hormones make your body do some crazy stuff. It could have caused a yeast infection, and I would go to any local pharmacy and try out some vaginitis cream. I had the same problem in addition to constant dryness (this could have caused your tearing), which I responded to with an Omega-7 supplement... Older women with menopause use this for the same issues (works like a charm for me!). Lastly, I would go check yourself out for STD's. I know your boyfriend is loyal, but $h*t happens man. AnyLabTestNow! is a great location to do this, with very fast results (and if you aren't 18, you don't need to involve your parents). Unfortunately STD testing can be pricey, so do your research to narrow it down to a few so you can spend as little money as possible.

Best of luck!
|
Quick Reply