Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Weird noise in ear

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hey, im new to this site, while browsing for what could be my problem. I am a healthy 22 yr old female, although i do drink red wine sometimes (not overbored) and smoke ciggaretts (Which i would like to give up)

For about a week and a bit now I have had this noise that comes and goes in my left ear only, its like a quick wooshing noise i cant explain it and there has been no other symptoms, expect for feeling a lil dizzy sometimes but thats very rare.

Im a bit worried because I do suffer from anxiety and it tends to make me this the worst. My pulse tends to run pretty fast at times too, due to the anxiety i think. I am trying to pass it as i read positive thinking books and try to relax myself as much as possible, i have a sick mum which makes things worse.

I need some piece of mind though before i goto the docs that it aint anything to serious, like a stroke or blood clot or anurisim or something????

Has anyone else had this problem b4 with this sound coming and going in just one ear. I think now dont qoute me but i think IT MAY have come on when i got some wood from my eye liner stuck in my eye and my eye watered heaps and gave me that really loud noise in my ear, does anyone know what i mean?

Well I hope so, just so i can sleep at night without having to worry until i get to the docs *laughs* the noise doesnt keep me awake at night as its not that frequent or i just dont notice it when i sleep!!

Thanks so much everyone

PEACE and HEALTH to you all nurse

:) Lauren Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile starship33
|

replied April 17th, 2009
I have the same thing
I am a 24 yr. old male and I get the same thing only in my left ear. It gets wrose when i smile really big or when laughing really hard its very annoying it's almost like there is water in my ear that i can't get out or something.
|

replied October 28th, 2009
Hey there,
I think I know what you mean. I'm a 24 yr old female who is six and a half months pregnant. I've noticed a strange buffeting, pulsating noise in my left ear, like water I cant get out.It only happens occasionally for a few seconds at a time but it still wierds me out. At first I thought it was just another strange symptom of pregnancy but i'm beginning to think otherwise.
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2010
Supporter
Vascular or Pulsatile Tinnitus:

It is common to occasionally hear one's own heartbeat in the ears. This is a result of blood flow through large blood vessels, the carotid artery and jugular vein, carrying blood to and from the heart and brain. In addition, there is a network of microscopic vessels traversing the middle ear. In times of stress, such as strenuous exercise, illness, and middle ear infections, the flow of blood is temporarily increased and may be more audible.

An evaluation by a physician is important when pulsatile tinnitus is progressively louder, constant, or is associated with hearing loss, hoarseness, or swallowing problems. This may be due to thickening of the carotid artery, common with aging, or tortuosity in the course of the vessels. Other considerations are vascular tumors or aneurysms. Further evaluation including MRI and/or CT scans will be necessary.
|

replied January 18th, 2012
Strange noise coming from my ear
My name is Nicolette and i am 20 years old and i have the same problem but with my right ear. Except it keeps me up at night, its a really loud noise and it only stops if i touch the right side of my neck. This has made me lose sleep many of nights. The first time i heard my ear making this constant noise i thought it was water in my ear. I do have real bad anxiety, so when i do get anxious or nervous the noise in my ear gets louder. This does cause my ear to ache from time to time but that's rare. I wanna know is there any type of treatment i could go thru to stop my ear from making noise?
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
I have anxiety too, but I dont know if that is related.
My dog passed away abt 3 weeks ago it was very
Sudden and unexpected it was a very hard experience
In my life I cried my eyes out and since that day my ears
Keep making that weird noise almost like unpluggin themselfs
I would say its my left ear but to be honest im not sure.
Any advise?
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
I have anxiety too, but I dont know if that is related.
My dog passed away abt 3 weeks ago it was very
Sudden and unexpected it was a very hard experience
In my life I cried my eyes out and since that day my ears
Keep making that weird noise almost like unpluggin themselfs
I would say its my left ear but to be honest im not sure.
Any advise?
|