Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

weird head ache when shake head

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
its hard to explain but ill start ... i dont have a head ache ... i never do ... but like for a week when i shake my head up and down i have a weird feeling on back and i guess rights side? of my skull . its not deep more like on top layer it does not happen unless u shake my head ... i am 16 years old do muay thai and wrestle ... when im done wrestleing it kinda gets worse cuz i roll over my had and staff and than when i take hot shower it goes down ... it does not bother me in real life cuz i dont shake my head lol actually work outs remove those shake "pains" but sometimes when i through a straight punch my uper sholder touches my jaw so my head shakes and it kinda feels uncomf. any way i dont have vision problems or dizzines or something that kind ... i dont have head aches unless i shake my head .. i noticed that after every day it goes down... also i wrestle with a lot bigger guys than... can it be a mini concussion ? or is it a neck problem? plz help . thanx =) also i dont drink water .. never do maybe like 1 glass a day ...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Moving or shaking head up and down can lead to experiencing headaches.
Not being hydrated properly, can lead to headache, too.
Actually, staying hydrated can help preventing headaches.
It is known that fatigue causes tension type of headaches, and fatigue is a side effect of dehydration.
By drinking enough glasses of water every day, you'll treat fatigue and headache.
Getting a warm shower, helps in relaxing the tensed muscles (reason for tension headache), and relieves the headache.

What's the type of the headache you get?
Can you describe the intensity of these headaches?
|

replied November 18th, 2008
well thanx for response but the pain is gone! the area of pain was in occipitalis ? muscle... i might ev damaged the nerve i guess.
fro last few days i could feel that they were going away.. also my neck is little soured ... i kinda landed uncomfortably during wrestling ...
if i can grade pain 1-10 i would give it 4
|

replied December 21st, 2011
i have the same thing to morlun. but i just cant get rid of it. when do u think it will wheare off
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
This was probably a case of occipital neuralgia.
It is a type of headache characterized by piercing, throbbing, or electric-shock-like chronic pain in the upper neck, back of the head, and behind the ears, usually on one side of the head.
Usually, the pain of occipital neuralgia begins in the neck and then spreads upwards.
Following things can be reason for experiencing this kind of headache:
irritation or injury to the occipital nerves, which can be the result of trauma to the back of the head, pinching of the nerves by overly tight neck muscles, and, frequent lengthy periods of keeping the head in a downward and forward position.
As a wrestler you are in a risk group of people who can suffer from this type of headache.
This pain often improve with therapy involving heat, rest, anti-inflammatory mediations, and muscle relaxants.
|

replied November 19th, 2008
thanx for response ... yea it is only one side ... pain is mostly when i wake up . like this morning i had pain for maybe 5-10 minutes and it is gone now and i am feeling great. i guess it is not that seriouse cuz it does not hurt that much at all
|

replied November 5th, 2009
i think got the same kind of headache but its also burning on some parts of my body like back and forearms... it started yesterday after work out at the gym... the pain is not going away and it hurts all the time... is it the same kind of migrain? how to treat?
|

replied April 5th, 2010
You mention shaking head up and down but what if you shake side to side and get a long lasting headache?
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
headache confusion
I also have pain when I shake my head up and down but not side to side. I have visual disturbances such as flshing surfaces but this maybe due to my short sighted eyes. Any advice?
|

replied February 25th, 2011
headache when shaking my head
I have headache when shaking my head side ways but not up down. I currently have pain on the left side of my neck so is this the cause of the headache on my left side of my head?
|

replied March 14th, 2011
Side to side headache!
Im a Mixed Martial Artist and I experience the same problem! I dont have any headaches durin the day tho, and it doesnt hurt up and down just side to side. The ache will return durin sparr sessions, and its right in the middle of my head. When I get jarred it turns in to a legit headache afterwards. I went to the E.R. the other night and my cat scan results came back clear but I still have this problem It doesnt make any sense to me!
|

replied August 23rd, 2013
Ive been having this pain for 3 days now.
How long does it last
Btw i have long hair and I always flip it to the side, but
its been hurting now when ever I shake my head to the side. I can shake it up and down perfectly with little to no pain, but its different when it comes to flipping my hair. PLZ HELP!
|