Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Weird feeling on lips for days-Herpes?

Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
User Profile
I think it was about 2 or 3 weeks ago when I began to feel something "tingling" on my lips in school.
I was in the classroom and I touched the right side of my bottom lip.
As minutes passed by, it began to feel numb-like and tingly.
I went to the restroom and washed my hands and my lips.
Then I applied on my glitter lipgloss/stick. It only made the feeling more prominent.
So I threw it away.

And now today, I see faint bump-like things
and it feels kinda like a dry, chapped "split" on the right side of my bottom lip.

I'm super worried that I may have caught it from school somehow!
I can't believe this!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like you are experiencing a cold sores or oral herpes on your lip.
Appearance of cluster of blisters is always preceded with sensations of pain, burning, tingling, or itching.
These blisters break down rapidly and in a few days later, they become crusted or scabbed and appear drier and more yellow.
The complete duration of symptoms and signs is usually 2-3 weeks.
Oral herpes is easily spread by direct exposure to saliva or even from droplets in breath.
Transmission most often occurs through close personal contact, such as kissing. In addition, because HSV-1 can be passed in saliva, people should also avoid sharing toothbrushes or eating utensils with an infected person (even person without visible sores is infective since the virus is still shedding in saliva).
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: Fairy Godmother 

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2009
So does that mean I have oral herpes? Sad
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2009
I know this is a bit late, but, how are you feeling since posting? I would like to know because it seems my right upper lip is experiencing what your right bottom lip was. I hope all is well with you.

~Cryssy1980
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2009
Supporter
I've had this for the most part of my life. Cold sores/fever blisters as they are called are in the herpes family....not the ones you get on your hoohoo. As mandms shared her words of wisdom, these are contagious, and a lot of people get them. My husband has never had one.....my daughter gets them. I know one will be coming on when I feel that "tingliing/ crawling sensation". My dentist now prescribes Valtrex and if I really feel one coming on I'll take that. I've also used Abreva which has sped up the healing. As a child and teen, I had a lot of ridicule and nasty comments about my mouth being broken out. I've recently read that if you take 1000 units of vitamin B12 daily, it will all but eliminate these from occuring. I have not tried this yet but its also been a very long time since I had one. I do know stress and sun can bring one on! Hope this has helped you!
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2009
This has helped tremendously. Thank you.
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2009
The tingly sensation has long stopped.
I do not know what it was but I hope it isnt herpes.
I dont think I have herpes. I will be positive and say that I DO NOT have it.
|

replied November 17th, 2010
I've had cold sores on my lips for years, usually from exposure to wind or sun.

I've tried various things over the years, but by far the most effective treatment proved to be the cheapest.

When I feel that tingling feeling, which is usually a sign that one is emerging, I start dabbing on surgical spirit on a regular basis and in the years I have been doing this, I've never had one break out into a scab.

I've got a supply of surgical spirit at home, work and in the car..........it's one of my best friends!!

I hope this helps a few people.
|