Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Weight loss with gallbladder problems

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
I have been having so upper abdominal discomfort and tenderness. its started as just constant discomfort about a little over a year ago, I did have have gallstone on a ultrasound sometime back so i thought it was just that. I didn't have insurance to i didn't go see a doctor but about 3 months ago the discomfort went away and now i have stools ranging from dark brown to pale brown. I'm tired always, my ribs are always tender paticulary the right, it radiates to my left side. I'm constantly forgetful. I cant focus. I get constipated easily, and now ithe the past 2 months i dropped 15lbs. I did make some diet changes like i stopped drink soda. my blood comes back normal. urine normal liver enzyme normal, pancreatic enzyme normalstool normal, had a no contrast ct normal, ultrasound normal. I have an appoint with a gastro next week but i'm terrified that this is some sorta cancer even though the doctors says thats not the case, can you lose weight with gb problems without cancer

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2010
Gallbladder Disease Answer A9016
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether individuals with gallbladder problems may lose weight without cancer.

The major symptom, apart from pain in certain cancers, is weight loss of more than 20 kilograms which is equivalent to more than 44 lbs. Gallbladder problems such as stones, may provoke malnutrition due to lack of bile in the bowels, which is rather important for the metabolism of fats. Sometimes weight loss may appear due to parasitic infections in the intestine.

Given the symptoms that you described, it is likely that you are experiencing gallbladder problems. It does not seem likely that you may be experiencing cancer. See a gastroenterologist for further information about a diagnosis. You may also consider reducing the amount of fat in your diet to avoid gallbladder symptoms due to contraction of the gallbladder.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a gastroenterologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.