Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

weight loss after abortion

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
In may of this year I had to have an abortion for health reasons. I miscarried last year. I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with trying to lose weight gained during pregnancy but your body seems like its holding on to it. Is it the hormones?
A client of mine, who's a nurse told me that until the hormones get back normal that my body will still hold on to the weight.

Its very upsetting because I'm barely eating and I'm drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water. When I miscarried last year the same thing happened. But it seems like almost 3 months after I miscarried all the weight came off. Why does that happened? I really hope someone can help me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The problem could be that you are barely eating. I am a womens health nurse Smile

I am 5'6 and 128 pounds, I have a toned body.

I eat 5-7 small meals a day, and exercise 1.5 hours a day. You cannot lose weight unless you exercise.

How far along were you? When many women get to 5-6 months, their stomach will stretch out slightly. NOT to sound mean, but excess stretched skin has to be surgically removed, you cannot diet it away.

Many women who have had later abortions for medical reasons have the same skin stretching/weight issues that women who have given birth. It is because your body has stretched, and after a pregnancy most women will never return to a pre pregnancy state. It is better not to beat yourself up over the issue if you notice it is mostly in your stomach area.
|

replied November 10th, 2010
I disagree about the previous post. I had an abortion at 7 1/2 weeks and work out about the same amount as you. My body is still muscular,except now I have a lump on my stomach. It is so embarassing! I feel like I am still pregnant.

Recently my gynocologist found that my regular doctor put me on birth control pills that had too much estrogen for my body. She informed me that the new birth control pills would take months to bring me back to normal.

"So is that why I have been growing blonde facial hair and could not lose weight," I asked.

She laughed and said it was possible.

I laughed even though I didn't find it funny because as a teenager I had ate disorderly.

Anyway, I am taking my new prescribed bcp and working out like no other. It is frustrating.

I was mad at my doctor for giving me the wrong birth control. I wondered if it was an accident on his part. I know the pills he gave me were so strong that I could pretty much never expect to be pregnant on them.

I googled the difference between the pills I was prescribed by my gyno and my regular doctor. It seems as though the pills I was given after my abortion were for older women on menapause or women with a history of things like uteran cancer.

I took these pills for about 6 months. I am 27 and thought my body changes were due to the simple fact that I am aging. It hurt my feelings thinking that my doctor was so careless.

I feel that not many take women who have had an abortion seriously. It kind of hurts me most to feel neglected my the person I trust most for my physical well being.

Women who go through this should have a stronger support system.
|

replied October 8th, 2011
abortion
hey, i was wondering how quick can you get an abortion appointment with the nhs? I need to abort within 7 days, do you think i can find an appointment then? Someone please helpp"!!
|

replied September 4th, 2012
Hi I had an abortion a week ago and was 3 months pregnant. I went to gp and she gave me a form. I rang the number and got a consultation within a week then had proceedure about 5 days later. You also have a choice on how you want it done, asleep, or awake. I was asleep and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Hope this helps
|

replied October 15th, 2011
Not sure, I was about 6 weeks lmp when I had my abortion and at that point I hadn't really gained any weight, maybe a few lbs bloated. Then I got a nasty stomach bug and dropped 15 lbs over a few days and even though I've been eating, it hasn't come back yet.
Don't starve yourself, though. Just eat healthy meals. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and stay away from fried food and salt. The water is a good thing, just make sure you are eating. And go for walks or do some light exercise because exercise can help get rid of bloating.
|

replied February 25th, 2013
my story
Hello, I am a young woman who recently had an abortion 2-3 weeks ago. I was 7 weeks 5 days along. I did not feel like I was gaining any weight in fact I did not know I was pregnant until the 5th week along. I am still fighting the weight loss as well as the hormonal in balance as I fight the mood swings constantly. Carrying the weight still is almost like still carrying the pain I was enduring. I thought I was doing well, eating right and exercising daily to attack that baby weight! However, my jeans are hugging my hips tighter, and I model dresses occasionally for a friend of mine. During my dress fitting I had to actually suck in to get the dress to stay on, and shake to get it over my hips. SO EMBARRASSING! I am exercising, and eating less carbs to try to cut some weight, as well as eating some almonds and taking a weight loss supplement. I was always cautious about my body as bad as that may be, but the weight gain has pushed me into a little depression. I keep reading that many are STILL gaining weight and I absolutely cannot endure that. Any comments to help would be greatly appreciated. Until then my long hard journey continues to fight the weight! Keep strong everyone, and I will let you know. Goodluck.
|

replied March 7th, 2013
hey there i'm 6 weeks preganet now and i work out 7 days a week and i am having a abotion in three more days will i grain weight i am 128lbs normally and i now i'm 129.2lbs will i lose it after the pills
|

replied March 7th, 2013
Everybody's body is different so it is hard to tell! After a few weeks of fighting my hormones and cravings I am back down to my size originally! Unfortunately because you are going to fight your hormones because it will take a little before your body realizes you are not pregnant anymore you might gain a little- but I could be wrong. I am 115 and was 123 before my abortion. I still had a few cravings but I was strong to resist! I think the quicker you get back to your normal schedule your body will adjust quicker. Do not worry! -goodluck
|