Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Weight Gain after Surgery

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Embarassed I had a colon resection 9 days ago. I have gained 23lbs during my seven day stay. My left leg is so swollen and my foot looks like a stump. I am currently taking Bactrim, injecting myself with a blood thinner for seven days doctor orders. Is this from all the IV fluids I received. How long can I expect this to last? My left leg is so swollen I have to literally lift it up to get into bed. I've been keeping the left leg elevated. Also immediately after I woke up in recovery my eyes were swollen shut. They kept telling me to open my eyes but I could'nt because it felt like sand. I did not know they were swollen shut, but in recovery they were persistant on me opening my eyes, there was absolutly no compassion. they kept me in the recovery room for 9 hours. Why did all this happen to me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi Cindy:..I am so happy the surgery is done...Many years ago when I had my Hysterectomy, they kept me in the recovery room for about four hours...This was to get my blood pressure until control...I am going to guess and say that they wanted your eyes open so that you would not go back to sleep....

Now about the weight...I think that is pretty much from liquids...You are swollen from the surgery and it will take time to rid yourself of it...When you are swelling you are retaining water...I would try staying away from salty foods as they will make you retain more water...Why not call your physician and ask him/her about this?...Rest and take it easy....Baby yourself...I send you my best wishes for a speedy recovery....

4you
Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?