Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Week without bowel movement

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I am just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem to mine.

I occasionally go a little over a week without having a bowel movement like I am now. I do not feel the urge to go , I am eating normally, stomach does not feel bloated or tight. I did have diahria (sp?) I believe Saturday, Sunday and Monday of last week which sometimes when I get that I will not go for a week.

I take both Metamucil fiber pills and Stool Softeners (one pill of each at night) but if I go a few days without having a bowel movement I will take them in the morning which I started doing Monday. All I have really had is gas because of it plus I am sure me drinking a ton of soda is not helping.

I know if I am constipated or not because I will start to loose my appetite and get small rectal pains every few minutes.

I was just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Paradoxically, taking too many stool softeners and laxatives can actually be a common cause of constipation. Metamucil is good to take every day, but you may want to stop taking the other stuff and give your body time to adjust. Are you drinking a lot of water? That can help relieve constipation, along with eating fruits and vegetables (do an internet search for ones that are highest in fiber). Exercise can also keep you regular.

Are you taking any medication? Some medications can cause constipation, so you may want to look at the side-effects to see if anything you take does. You also mentioned drinking a lot of soda, you may be getting too much caffeine, which can cause dehydration.

Going only once a week is probably too infrequent, but not everyone goes every day. Some do three times a day, some three times a week. It depends on what's normal for you.

Try changing your diet and see if things don't get better in a couple of weeks. If they don't, go see your doctor. It could be IBS, but there are a lot of other disorders that need to be ruled out first, such as hypothyroidism, diabetes, as well as digestive disorders. Make sure they do tests for other things before they just dismiss it as IBS, as a lot of doctors seem to do.
|

replied June 10th, 2010
Its been 8 days that I have not had a bowl movement.I drink lots of water and eat plenty of veggie's,Please help
|

replied July 20th, 2012
i havent had a bowel movement in 8 days in feleing bloated and getting a lot of discomfort in my stomache and around my back i have tried senokot tablets (i think thats what there called) for the past 4 nights and still had no joy i do not feel the urge to go and am full of wind too x
|