Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

swollen scrotum after hernia surgery (Page 1)

I've had an inguinal hernia for about one year and 3 months in which i worked construction and did a good deal of traveling and hence walking. The intestine descended into my scrotum early on, about three months after the origional potrusion.

I had a laproscopic surgery recently, exactly 8 days ago to repair the hernia. For the first two days, everything seemed to be going well other then the expected pain. After 3 or 4 days, I noticed that my scrotum became quite enlarged where it wasn't before. Now on my eighth day, I am quite recovered... I can walk and climb stairs with little or no pain, but my left testicle is very sensitive and tender. When I stand i feel testicular pain from the weight of it.

I have read about something called Ischemic orchitis. After reading about this, I began freaking out. I called my surgeon in her house and she told me that it probably wasn't so because I would be in alot more pain and that it was possible that the fluids had hardened in my scrotum. I can feel my right testicle seperate and normal sized but my left testicle is either swollen or caught in one giant mass of fluid.

Has anyone experienced a similiar problem? Any kind of advice on the subject would be appreciated. Thank you all for your concern. P.S. I am 22 and my weight is normal and I am otherwise quite healthy.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper imusmakedaborder
|

replied May 7th, 2008
Yeah..Normal
I had swollen testicles after surgery. Given the time this was posted, that should be gone by now.
|

replied May 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You should be feeling better by now.

How are you doing any relief, any further contact with your doctor?
|

replied January 26th, 2009
Swelling and mass in scrotum after hernia surgery
After my hernia surgery I had swelling in scrotum and a mass formed that was uncomfortable. It seemed to be taking a long time to dissolve. I was made aware of an enzyme called Serramend. It was supposed to be good at breaking up and dissolving organic matter. I got some and it dissolved the mass very quickly. The Serramend seems to be good a dissipating masses and reducing swelling, etc.
You have to get this product through a healthcare practitioner of some sort (Chiropractor, acupuncturist, doctor, etc.). The company who made the Serramend I took was called "Health Concerns" They are in Oakland, CA
Hope this helps.
|
Users who thank postherniaguy for this post: brians84 

replied April 17th, 2009
Same problem
Just had the surgery done 9 days ago. Both left and right inguinal. Right side is fine, left scrotum is swollen, sore, and a mass in the scrotum and above the scrotum, looks like the hernia lump before surgery. Doc says it is normal, fluid...how long does this typically last? I am having a hard time sleeping due to it being so uncomfortable. I will try and find the Serramend!!
|

replied May 24th, 2009
Serramend.
Got it from Amazon. Works extremely well. I Started it on a Thursday evening. That night, when I got up to go to the bathroom I was extraordinarily dizzy. Today is Sunday, and the mass is at least half gone already, where it seemed before like an unbreakable iceberg. Get Serramend fast!
|
Users who thank mlader for this post: brians84  brians84 

replied May 24th, 2009
Serramend
The point I was making about the dizziness is that it is definitely a potent enzyme.
|

replied June 3rd, 2009
I hav had surgery for inguinal hernia left and right and also have a lump above my right testicle, terrible pain will be seeing my surgeon today after having ct scan and ultra sound.. feels like a third testicles was inserted.
|

replied August 8th, 2009
Serramend?
mlader, postherniaguy:
Just had laparo inguinal hernia repair 8 days ago. I have the same solid-feeling mass in the left side of my scrotum... either the testicle is swollen or there's a large mass of fluid that feels hard to the touch. Very uncomfortable. This Serramend intrigues me - seems like exactly what I'm looking for. Any problems since you've used it? Has your mass gone away?
|

replied September 18th, 2009
I started taking Serramend about 4 days ago. I haven't had much luck but haven't been taking the max suggested dosage. I have not experienced any dizziness so I will increase my dosage. I'm currently 2 weeks recovering from surgery, and the fluid mass is extremely hard. I will post my results.
|

replied March 15th, 2010
Serramend cont...
With hernias where mesh has been used, part of the healing and repair is for the area of the hernia to form a growth of scar tissue which would grow into the mesh, thus creating a stronger repair.

Since Serramend disolves masses, is there a risk of it disolving some of the desired scarring /mending you would actually want?
|

replied May 24th, 2010
swollen scrotum
Drink Cranberry Juice. I had a right linguinal hernia op and got 'the swells' afterwards. This cleared it right up. However, I used to get 'the swells' on occasion before, and learned that it was from eating too much salty foods - cashews, etc. in one sitting, causing a 'fluid retention' condition. The Cranberry juice flushed it out as well.
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
i also had the left linguianal hernia repair and i got de painful swell in my left testicle. de swell is hard, very painful and uncomfortable. can anyone help??
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
I'm dealing with the same issue. Looks like alot of us are. I will be speaking with the surgeon tomorrow in a post-op, I'll let you know what he says. I'll also ask about the Serramend. It's been 13 days since my repair with mesh on my right side.
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
Well, the doctor took a good look at it, and told me that it is scar tissue that is forming. He said it won't go away for about 2-3 months. There will always be a limited amount of scar tissue, but the size of it will reduce by about 75% of it's current size. Once reduced This mass will barely be felt. A complete recovery of scar tissue is normally 9 months where the scar will reduce to it's minimum size. At that point, it has reached it's reduced potential. He told me (since I'm a collegiate athlete and need to start practicing asap) that the pain will be reduced if I can use an athletic support to isolate my balls away from my body. This will allow me to play hard without feeling the constant bumping and brushing of that mass. I asked him about the "Serramend". He didn't know anything about it. So I decided on my own to give it a shot and maybe I can reduce this sucker more quickly, I've ordered it off Amazon.com and will let you know how it goes. I asked him if this mass can possibly be anything else other than scar tissue. He said no. It's not a Hydrocele because that is usually trapped liquid slightly lower than my current mass, and it forms several weeks after a repair if it does, not immediately or a week even. Hydrocele's are more rare these days. I had an open hernia repair with mesh. I also asked him if my testicle cord (whatever that is called) can be at risk with this scar tissue, he said no, even with the pressure it isnt' at risk, and as long as my testicle isn't red, swollen and very painful, I'm not loosing blood circulation to the dude, and I'm still as fertile as ever. I also asked him if for some reason the scar tissue creates a problem for me in the future if I can get that fixed. He seemed optimistic that it will never get to that point, but said yes we can make adjustments if needed. My advice to you is that if you feel pain, do something about it, get a second opinion and make sure you're on track for recovery. So in summary, the mass that is located directly underneath my body, above but not attached to the testicle is fresh scar tissue that is forming. Nothing else. The position of this mass is creating quite a bit of discomfort, but was told until it reduces in size in 2-3 months to wear a jock strap when needed to isolate the member from the body friction. Serramend is my personal choice to give a shot, and will report back on it's affect. If this is what you have, you're in my same boat. He told me the scar tissue is formed because the body cavity sack had to be retracted from the testicle, and had essentially been growing into the scrotum. As he had to "tear" this away from the scrotum and put it back into the area it's supposed to be, the testicle was lifted up a little and there is scar tissue that is forming there. The swelling in that mass hasn't gone down, but he said not to expect it's reduction for like I said 2-3 months at least. I took L-glutamine 10-20 grams a day from day 1 of my surgery, and that has significantly assisted my recovery time with the muscle and stitches. I'm anxious to get this complete recovery over with. I'll keep you posted. If you have any questions about my diagnosis, feel free to write me.
Brian
|

replied April 13th, 2012
Same situation with me. Doc said to wear a Jock. Swelling is too large for any jock I could find. Was told to call Doc if swelling did not go down. called. no response to date.
|

replied July 18th, 2010
Swelling in scrotal after Hernia, hydrocele and Viricocele surge
Yes! Exactly i have the same problem. I operated on 1st july 2010 and today is 18th day. Still there is swelling on left scrotal with testis slightly pulled up and pain in the cord. The pain is severe when sitting and increases again when standing. I am not able to stand for more than 20 minutes contineously.Doctor siad it is swelling and advised scrotal support. It has reduced pain but not removed completely. I can not join my duty. It is painful and worrying. Adwise me please.
|

replied July 18th, 2010
swollen testical after mass removal
i had similar surgery. mass removed from my right testicle. it started as a hydrocele 2 years ago. the surgon tried to shine a light through it and no luck. so they cut me up thinking it was cancer and found it was only a blood clot.

now i have 22 un necasary staples. and my testical is literally bigger than it was before surgery. which is a handfull if u know wht i mean...if it doesnt go down in size and stop hurting within a month im gonna be so pissed. he said it will take a long time like one month to decrease to 1/3 size.

im guessing guys that this is something you have to wait out! DAMN! right? ehh!
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2010
I am new to the forum and this is my first post thanks to everyone for the information given out so far basically my first post is a testimony as to what has occurred over the years, I am a 48 year old male retired TSgt USAF veteran. During my tenure in the service I was primarily in aircraft maintenance, (Crew Chief on B-52G & F-15A-C-D-E) however I served 15 months in personnel because of medical conditions that required me to cross train none of which at the time was hernia related. On June 27 2005 I was retired on chapter 61 disability at Kirtland AFB New Mexico. I served 18 years nine months and six days service, I am writing all this out because I am going somewhere with this and I ask that someone will read it be patient and get back with me. In July of 2005 I applied for service connected disability with the department of veterans affairs then the next month on August 24, 2005 I was hired by the City I live near and began working at the local convention and civic center, to do event setups and do audio visual equipment setups my new civilian job requires me to lift-pull-push, knell, squat, walk, bend equipment that weighs up to 65 lbs i.e. tables and chairs and stage assemblies. The job itself is repetitive and indoors and not that complicated, keep in mind my job in the service required a lot of the same physical activity. It wasn’t until March of 2006 that the VA got back with me to let me know I had been declared service connected and awarded me an overall disability rating of 80%, however none of my service connected disabilities were related to a hernia. As there was nothing in my military medical records to indicate any type of hernia or related issue to that fact. I have worked full time at the convention center from Aug 05 to July 8, 2010, since then I have been on sick leave and on family medical leave act, two weeks before July the 8th I began to feel lower left groin pain which I dismissed as side effects to a vasectomy I had in May of 2003, Epididymis swelling in which a urologist said this often occurs to males having undergone vasectomies. However I ignored it for two weeks when finally I went to my primary care doctor and she told me that it is probably a inguinal hernia later that day I had an ultra sound that confirmed it to be a left inguinal hernia she immediately put me on physical restriction and I was limited in what I could do physically for one month so the next day July 9th I reported this to my supervisor at work and my supervisor had me report to our Human resource department to began family medical leave (FMLA) I asked if I could still do some limited work and was told no as our department has a go-no-go rule and I have to be able to perform all labor listed in my job discretion at a 100% rate or not at all unlike the military where you can be put on light duty or limited duty restriction. So between July 8th to August 6th I have been waiting for the referral to go through the Tricare Prime military health insurance process as my primary care manger (PCM) “a general family medical or general practitioner has to refer me to the surgery clinic and then Tricare has to approve it or in this case the military treatment facility at Fort Hood Texas. About a week later the surgery department notified me I had an appointment on July 22nd there I met with the surgeon and underwent an examination and was scheduled for pre op on Wednesday August 4, 2010 and outpatient surgery on Friday August 6, 2010, keep in mind I have been using sick leave and not allowed to work, after my surgery on August 6th I went home and read my release notes where the doctor told me 5 days of minimal activity and after that may return to work but not lift anything heaver than 10lbs. for at least four weeks, So because of my jobs department policy of go-no go I will be out of work and have used up all my 230 plus hours of sick leave , so this leaves me to a question should this have been considered work or job related ? My uncle thinks so and also thinks it is military service connected too, should I have claimed this job related and filed it under Texas Workman’s Comp insurance, when I asked my Primary care doctor and the surgeon this question both said there is no way to prove this and said you could have sneezed or coughed wrong and nothing was put in writing other than what type of job I do and that I do a lot of repetitive lifting kneeling squatting and bending pushing and pulling. I also did a lot of this same physical activity in the service but my VA disability & service connected injuries do not include hernia because there is no evidence in my military health records. The only evidence is in my job description from both the service and my civilian job. I however believe it to be job related and ask what would others do?
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2010
On Friday august 6, 2010 I underwent left inguinal hernia repair for elective laparoscopic surgery but it was converted to open left inguinal hernia surgery. I asked the nurse to ask the doctor what happened to the laparoscopic procedure and she said you will have to ask that to the doctor that question but he won’t be available for another week so I have to wait until my post op appointment. I too have had swelling of the scrotum along with bruising primarily on my left side just below the left hernia repair incision. Sunday and Monday August 8, 9 my scrotum swelled up about the size of an apple I called the surgery clinic and the nurse who talked to the doctor she asked me if my scrotum was the size of a Plum apple or grapefruit I said apple I told her there is a lot of purple and redness around the base of my penis and scrotum I also informed her that I feel like I still have a hernia and lump in my left groin area and left testicle I was worried about internal bleeding and blood pooling up inside the scrotum and that maybe the repair failed and my intestines have protruded down into my scrotum area , she told me to use ice and take pain meds the pain has not been that bad and I have been able to just take the ibuprofen 800mg and not take the percocet. Based on some of the testimony of other posts it seems that testicular and scrotum swelling and bruising is common and that some doctors say this happens sometimes but based on what I read here on the forum it would seem it happens MOST of the time and I find that amazing that since this side effect or swelling is common that NOTHING is even mentioned about it in the literature or release notes or post op instructions given to me by the doctor or nurse or medical staff. Any comments are welcome.
|

replied August 20th, 2010
I had right side inguinal hernia repair done laparoscopically on May 19th, 2009. I also noticed the swelling of my right testicle, and in fact went to emergency room over it two days after surgery, only to find out that it was normal and it reconciled by itself in a very short time.

Unfortunately, 15 months later, I am still experiencing daily bouts of random pain. My general care physician thinks it may be nerve related and has prescribed Neurontin (Gabapentin). I only started on it yesterday.

Because I did not have health insurance where I worked, I had to wear trusses I bought off of eBay for 7 months while I went through the process of applying for the Medicaid-Work Incentive Program that provides health insurance for people with disabilities who work minimum wage jobs that don't offer insurance. I wonder if the amount of time between when the hernia was originally diagnosed and the time I was able to get it repaired may be part of the problem.

In any case, after reading all the posts on here, I realize that I have actually been very lucky, as my pain comes and goes and is never disabling. I will say that to have a sudden sharp pain in your groin for no known reason while in an intimate situation can certainly kill the mood.
|