Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Weed bad trip or panic attack ? (Page 1)

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
User Profile
Im a weed smoker for about 5 years now.Ive started when was 18 and now im 23.In these years I had some bad experiences with joints and space cakes and couple of them were really intense but none of them was that scary to make me worry about it.
Last night i had just one joint from a new weed that i had just bought.In the first everything seemed to be ok i gotted stoned and felt kind of .After a while and when the guy we had together the joint left from my place,i started to have this really bad trip.I started feeling like i observe myself really detached from reality.i started to hear a loud noise in my head like strong wind and my thoughts started running like crazy.i felt my heart beating really fast and my chest getting numb.i bearilly could breath and went to the phone to call a couple of friends for help.when i was trying to speak i felt as if i was watching the thoughts as words with huge letters each of the letter making another sound.these gave me the feeling that to communicate i had just to read the words and i felt like it wasnt actually me speaking.i got some detached from reality than even when my friend came its wasnt until a few hours that i went back to normal.
the strangest thing was that during the bad trip i was trying to calm myself,but i couldnt because i felt trapped into my thoughts like every thought was connecting each other.i couldnt focus in any thought or feeling.i remember that i was telling myself this is a bad trip,but couldnt actually convince me.i got frightened that i got crazy and this would be permanent.in all this i was most frightened that i could might jump from the window.totally lose of control of ones mind and totally detached from reality as if i was an observer and found the limits of my whole head.
trying to relax i had another two joints with my friend who came to help me and gradually started to feeling in touch with the reality around me.after the incident i feel kind of bad,no good mood kind of grumpy and discomfort.im also feeling afraid that i have done something bad to my brain.
could u please help me?im getting crazy? thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fifek
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You're smoking pot. It's not like you can tell where your mental basline is. Maybe you have a serious disorder or maybe you got more than you bargained for in that joint. What you're describing sounds a lot more like LSD than Marijuana. It's not like the FDA regulates marijuana the rolling paper could have been dipped or the weed tainted with God knows what.

Needless to say, THIS IS YOUR SIGN. You were lucky you had friends to care for you. You could have ended up hurting yourself or others in your disoriented state. You need to stop blazing and get yourself level so you can actually evaluate if you have a mental problem. If nothing else you can't afford to buy from that dealer ever again.
|

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2009
If we exclude the possibility that i smoked something more than weed,because im 99per cent sure that it was just a simple joint,could someone suggest me another explanation of what might happened to me?
My general mental health was quite normal the last months but now im kind of upset from the incident because it scared me a lot and cant stop thinking about it.
In my country the majority of the society uncluding doctors are unfamiliar with weed habbits and im afraid that if i go to a doctor the whole incident will be blamed to the weed if thow i know it was something else wrong.Anywayz thnx WOLF for the answer really apreciated
|

replied September 11th, 2009
It sounds like a Salvia experience. Salvia Divinorum smells and looks just like marijuana, but is a hallucinogenic and sometimes extreme effects. You may want to look into it. It has become very popular in recent times. That is more likely than LSD. I doubt that there is anything wrong with you, especially since this only happened during your bad trip.
|

User Profile
Im absolutely sure that its wasnt salvia,but just a simple, kind of strong,weed joint.The effects lasted for about 2 hours and these made me quite worried.
I think that salvia effects last for about 10-20 minutes.
however thnx for the help Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
You could have had an exotic allergy or a stroke or an exceptionally strong concentration of THC crystals or you could legitimately be having neurochemical problems. It's a completely random guess as long as you're under the influence. Level out and see if this sort of episode recurs. If not it's likely a reaction to the pot.
|

hey man, i have been smoking smoking marijuana daily for the past year and had my first negative experience with it last night.
my mind felt detached from my body, not the comfortable way weed makes me feel but in a way that i felt i was about to die. normal sounds like the tv got extremely loud. the sound of my brother walking around upstairs amplified to the point i had to cover my ears. my heart was pounding, my veins throbbing. my arms and legs would shake uncontrollably.
the most terrifying part was hearing what you described as 'strong wind', it sounded as if i could hear huge waves crashing against each other like at the beach.
it took me about a half hour to reach an equilibrium and regain control of my body. My heart is still sore, now, a day later. After reading up on the matter I am starting to think what I felt was indeed a panic attack, induced by marijuana. This isnt a rare occurrence in the pot smoking community, you and me both might of had our first experience with this very frighting attack.
please tell me how you feel about this conclusion, I am 18 years old and to be honest am really nervous about what happen last night, it gives me a little relief knowing that at least one other person went through what did.
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2009
Well even though im not an expert in this matter(maybe you should go to a psychiatrist to ask some proper advice),it sounds like an panic attack.
Panic attacks are related with stressfull situations and i think that being under drug effect makes it much more 'spectacular' and frightnening.
I guess you got really scared so try to recognize it to yourself maybe talk to some close friend about it makes you feel more comfortable.
Maybe avoid smoking weed for some days or try doing that with someone you can trust.
I think panic attacks are like alarms from our head-just try to take it easy with yourself and start thinking the possibility of reducing or cutting off weed.
Things that relax you and makes you feel better with yourself would be much of a help right now.
It was a really bad experience but you managed to get through it,so you are capable of doing that and if it comes along again just remember it and this will help u.
If you have another panic attack when you are sober,dont neglect it and seek for some professional help.
If it sounds impossible at the moment,try to see it as an good in bad experience that came from your subconcious and want to tell something about u.
believe that you are ok and you will be and dont underestimate weed,its a light drug but remains a drug that is playing with your head. Smile
|

replied September 15th, 2009
thanks a lot dude. since my first attack, I haven't had any since. I went a day with with no weed and only smoke a blunt before bed with a really good friend. I felt fine and like i said still haven't experienced another. I am sure if another arises I will be able to handle the situation. thanks again
|

replied September 17th, 2009
Last night i had what i think was a bad panic attack. I'm 18 and i've been smoking for about 5 months and have been smoking often, every day for a while. And on special occasions, A LOT but i never experienced any sort of anxiety or panic from that. Last night i had two small bowls of the most recent stuff i got. After the first bowl i didn't even feel it that strongly. Soon after a finished the second i started feeling a bit nervous and soon i felt like my heart was pounding so much and so fast and i was a little lightheaded and i just thought i was going to die. And i felt very cold and i was shaking, and i felt like a couldn't breathe. I was scared that my heart or lungs were just gonna stop working. I kept thinking i needed to go to a hospital. It was the worst experience i've ever had with pot. I also realized that a couple days before i had a similar experience but not as severe, also with the same weed. I haven't smoked yet since and i'm still knda shaken up from it. but i'm glad i'm not the only person who's experienced this.

If anyone wants to talk my aim screen name is crypt0zoologist.
|

replied September 27th, 2009
It sounds like you had a panic attack while your mind was under the influence of THC. Just about everything you described just happened to me on Friday and I can say it was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life. I think that this happens more than people would like to admit (you never hear about negative experiences with Marijuana... heh).

Just be more careful next time and be mindful of how you feel prior to taking your first hit. Also get a feel for your tolerance. And if you're anxious to begin with, perhaps you should wait until you're a little bit more relaxed.

Listen to your mind and body and use this as a learning experience Smile Also know that you aren't the only one that this has happened to...
|

replied October 21st, 2009
I've been smoking for four years now. I smoke everyday. I have never had a problem and could never understand friends who told me they thought they would die from smoking weed. Last night was a wake up call to the potential dangers of what I've always thought of as medicine. I smoked some new weed with my friend. Something really strong. I've been smoking spliffs for a while, but last night my friend rolled a huge joint without tobacco. I usually smoke joints this big with at least five other friends, but it was just the two of us. For a good hour or so, all was well, I was stoned as usual. Then, my friend left to do some work. I got up to get some cereal, when my mind was assaulted by deafening noise. I felt as though my head were a cymbal with a percussionist beating away. It came and went in about five minute increments. Getting in my bed made it worse. I tried to play music (bad idea). I started talking to the Lord, trying to make sense out of it all. I was able to explain to myself that I had smoked too much of a new strain of really strong bud. I woke up with a headache, and I was still blazed. I've been thinking about it a lot. I haven't smoked today and probably won't. I'll see what tomorrow feels like. I want to smoke again to see if it happens, but I think that last night I discovered that one can smoke too much bud, so regulate. If you're already stoned-stop smoking.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
definately a panic attack marijuana is a known trigger of panic attacks i,m a heavy smoker and this has happened to me a few times usually when i havn't smoked for awhile then skoke again or when something else is going on in your life that your worried about you can calm yourself down with relaxing breathing tecniques if it ever happens again.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
i have been smoking weed for five years, and experiencing panic attacks from it for a couple years now. it's hard because all of my friends smoke on a regular basis, and i feel left out if i don't join in. none of them really understand what i'm talking about when i tell them i freak out when i smoke. i still do it sometimes though, to try and keep up with them. i have panic attacks about half the time, but i feel like i have to do it to maintain my friendships. it really sucks, but i'm also hoping that maybe someday it will just stop and i'll be fine like i was when i started smoking.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
i had a somewhat similar experience but i dint smoke it.. i ate a brownie.. but i too was detached from reality.. i had trouble with my words too. and got scared cuz i didnt know what was gnna happen..
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
i have the exact same thought processes nd sometimes i realise how screwed up some of them sound. i sometimes get it when im not stoned too. iv done heaps of research nd hav decided to see a psychiatrist, cus i believe it might be schizophrenia. a little somethn nd to trip you out - a post on an internet sight i found said its our souls but who really knows... also a strange thing - wen i hav a few cones with the boys im not sure if its jus me.. but we hav mind battles, (we call it fried wen u loose) nd some of us (like me) jus trip balls nd my mates jus mess around with my head and cook me.. i get confused nd sometimes think they are having conversations about me in front of me and laughing at me lol. its freaky...

hope thats of any use
goodluck
|

replied January 5th, 2010
this happen to me also sometimes, my body becomes super sensitive sometimes to the point where i cant stop moving because evry muscle in my body is just throbbing. its weird and kinda ruins the high. my legs, calves specifically, get really sentive and throb. has anyone else experienced this?
payceee
|

replied January 5th, 2010
Panic attacks are pretty common for quite a few marijuana users I have found. Mostly this will be only when you smoke but there have been some cases where marijuana has caused lasting mental damage. This is extremely rare though and is usually a pre-existing condition that gets aggravated by smoking pot.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
these are panic attacks. it happened to me few times in amsterdam, when I smoked much stronger stuff than I expected. don't neglect it though, because panic attacks not necessarily have to stay connected to weed, one day you may find yourself having these while sober (that happened to me). once you get grip on it, it's relatively easy to get rid of this (for example easy breathing techniques). but the problem with this is most people don't act in a sane manner when this things happen to them. so sometimes this leads to psychic disorders. I wouldn't say that this can only happen when you have pre-existing condition, but it's always better to smoke only when you can chillout, you don't have lots of problems, and especially, fears.
|

replied January 30th, 2010
I NEED THE MOST HELP PLEASEE HELP ME IM IN TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!
hey guys okay im 14 years old and ive smoked weed only like 12 times and i will tell you the first time i smoked weed this happened i felt like i was in a nightmare and i was gonna die and i was panicking and i was about to run in and be like MOM HELP ME IM SO HIGH AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO but then after 3 hours i felt fine... every single time after that i have smoked the same excact thing happened. so this happens to me every time since the last time i had my worst experience ever i only took 1 small hit from my pipe abou 20 days ago and i was sooo retarded. like you have no idea off only 1 small hit... and now its been about 20 days and daily while in school i start tripping and feeling stoneddd out of my mind for about 15 mins at a time nd is will happen like 2 times a day 1 in school and 1 at night and now everytime i take advil i get stoned i have no idea why i want it to stop im scared and i think i may have ruined my life someone please help me!!!!!!! =[
|

replied December 24th, 2012
man its a placebo effect. i had the same problem; you think you are going to get high, so you do. i know you are like "no i don't, it just happens" but just quit for a while man. when you think about something making you high, your brain starts chemical reactions and it begins to release the same things weed does. like if you are used to an indica strain, your brain will release dopamine and serotonin for sativa strains. so your brain is just messing with you honestly. i suffered through it for a month and a half after i quit, smoked a bowl of kush, stopped again and now i seem to be fine. still have anxiety and depression though.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply