Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Meningitis Forum

Weakness , photophobia , headache

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
On May 17th, my husband presented with high fever, sore neck, photophobia, intense headache that would not alleviate with OTC meds and overall weakness. A lumbar puncture was performed (twice). The first had over 200,000 RBC's in it and was ruled contaminated. A second was completed with still, over 1,000 RBC's. His punctures and cultures ultimately proved negative for Bacterial meningitis.

He was then administered Rosefrin, Percocet, and Phenergan. He had a CT scan, CT angiogram, MRA, and MRI to rule out bleeding and those came back negative for any aneurysms, blockages, or masses. He was admitted to the hospital for five days and experienced very high fever spikes, continued photophobia, headache, weakness, dizziness, convulsions with fever, and slight memory loss.

He was sent home with Omnicef, Phenergan, and Percocet. He discontinued using Percocet and Phenergan on May 23rd. He has been taking less than 2 grams of Tylenol daily to control fever and headache.

He is still feeling week, photophobic, with a continued headache and the description that his head feels "big", "swollen", "too big for my body".

Yesterday, he presented with shortness of breath throughout the day and in the evening, small hives that come and go and did not seem to react to a dose of Benadryl.

I took him to the ER last night and they ran a full blood panel and CT scan. His WBC's are finally back up, but his total bilirubin is .6, so an ultrasound of his liver was ordered. He has no soreness or reaction to palpation of the abdomen and his ultrasound came back "normal."

However, he is having continued pain, sensitivity to light, "brain swelling" feeling and he has such enlarged lymph nodes that it looks like marbles are underneath his skin from behind his ears to the back of his neck.

I am at a loss as to what to do. They ran a hepatic panel, but that will not be back for several days. I am scared for my husband and want to help him get better, but I believe that the Dr's we are currently seeing are also at a loss as to what to do.

Any advice is appreciated. I thank you for your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 31st, 2009
Wow....your husband is very sick indeed. Did they rule out Viral Meningitis? His spinal fluid would show it. Have you seen a Neurologist? With still having light sensitivety, pain, etc. he could very well still have viral meningitis. It takes me 3 monthes to completely recover when I get Meningitis. Repeated spinals after the initial illness shows the white count in my spinal fluid gradually going down, but it takes a long time. The hives he got could be from the pain killers. I am curious to know how he is doing.

Julie
|
Did you find this post helpful?