Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Weak and shaky from low blood sugar ?

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
I am not sure if this has anything to do with Diabetes but I wasn't real sure where to post this question. Lately I have gotten very weak and shaky randomly. For instance, this morning I had some cereal before I feft for work (about 8 am) and on the way to work I had a coffee drink. At about 10 am I started feeling very weak and very shaky...I felt extremely hungry so I ate the sandwich I had brought for lunch. It helped the shaky and weak feeling for the most part but now I feel very fatigued and my vision seems to be a bit blurry. I have felt this way in the past but never as bad; I always just assumed it was from having caffiene, considering I usually have one coffee drink a day. I felt this way just a couple of days ago as well and felt that I needed to eat and eat and eat, even though I had already eaten a couple of hours before. The only thing I can find on the internet is info about low blood sugar. I am planning on getting a blood test here in a few days from my doctors office...should I have them do one for glucose levels? I am not real sure how to go about dealing with this issue or if it is even something to worry about. Please help! Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2008
Doctor
Your symptoms could be due to low glucose level and your doctor will probably check your fasting glucose level. It is very important to check your blood glucose level while experiencing those symptoms. If the glucose level is under 3.3 mmol/L and you experience symptoms they are probably due to hypoglycemia.
Other reasons like low blood pressure should be also considered.
|
Users who thank Dr. Nikola for this post: kariberi 

replied July 3rd, 2008
Thank you for your response. I assumed it had something to do with blood glucose levels. I will make sure to get a fasting glucose level check at the doctor. Could you tell me what the causes are of low glucose levels?
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2008
Doctor
There could be many reasons for hypoglycemia. It is not logical to talk about the reasons for hypoglycemia until the tests really prove that you are hypoglycemic.
|

replied July 9th, 2008
Supporter
Hi kariberi,

It does sound like hypoglycemia to me, possibly reactive (low blood sugar 2-3 hours after a carbohydrate meal) from the time and the symptoms you describe.

But as Dr Nikola said it could be a number of conditions. Explain all your symptoms to your doctor, the time of day, and what you have eaten/drank as you described above.
While you are waiting for further investigation you might want to avoid that coffee drink in the morning, and avoid sugar. Carry snacks with you incase you need something quickly.

In order to be diagnosed with hypoglycemia, your doctor will require a hypoglycemia blood sugar reading, usually from the lab rather than a home blood glucose monitor. Depending on what country you're in, this will be around 2.4mmol. If he suspects hypoglycemia he will investigate further to determine both the type of hypoglycemia, and the cause.

For more information pop over to the hypoglycemia forum. But try not to focus too hard on the condition until you are diagnosed.
|