Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Weak and quiet voice (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
For the past few years I've had a problem with my voice. I'm a 15 year old guy, so I guess it could be attributed to puberty, but multiple years seems like a pretty long time for a voice change. I have a really quite voice, usually pretty high pitched, but sometimes fairly deepish, though still very weak and quite. I can't yell, or really project my voice at all, which really gets in the way sometimes. The weirdest thing about my voice however is that I am able to talk in a much deeper, stronger, and louder voice. It's just not my normal speaking voice. When I clear my throat or cough it sounds as if it were coming from this deeper voice, and sometimes my voice will croak down to the deeper voice as well, like the opposite of a voice crack basically. So yeah I was wondering what is up here. One, what could be the cause of having such a quiet and weak voice, is possibly just puberty? And two, why didn't my voice just naturally change to this deeper and stronger voice during puberty? Or is it likely that it will progress down to it in time? Also, if anyone else has had any other sort of similar experience that would be great too. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 13th, 2010
Bump
|

replied March 6th, 2010
I have a very similar problem. I am 18 and have had it for a few years. have you found any solutions?
|

replied March 6th, 2010
Nope, no solutions as of yet, but I'll be sure to tell you if I figure anything out. Tell me if you figure anything out on your end
|

replied August 19th, 2010
I have this exact problem, and have had it for about a year. I'm really worried :/ I'm 14 btw
|

replied August 25th, 2010
I still don't have a concrete answer, it seems to have gotten somewhat better over time however. Still not great though. I'd suggest asking your doctor or something, mine attributed it to puberty, but I'm not entirely convinced by that. Let me know if you find anything out
|

How much better over time? I had a feeling the Doctor would just say "puberty" and send you on your way. I've done a bit of looking around and everyone seems to say "Puberty" but alas I'm not convinced. It sucks though, confidence shot to bits here.
|

Yeah, it's definitely a confidence breaker. And by better I mean that my voice has definitely gotten a little deeper over time, but it's still very very quiet. And being quiet makes it sound more high pitched than it actually is. It's really just a bummer all around.
|

I've been told mine has gotten a bit deeper over time, but it's still weird. It's annoying in class, trying to make yourself heard with everyone else laughing or whatever. :/ I agree, it's like a freaking girl repellent! I just wana get it fixed and be like everyone else tbh.
|

Yeah, for sure. Especially the girl thing. And yeah, obviously it'd be sick to fix it somehow, but I'm really not sure how to go about doing that. Do you notice yours is worse under certain circumstances? Mine is definitely worse in the morning, before I get it warmed up and whatnot. And it seems to be worse if I'm thinking about it too much, but that's all I've really noticed.
|

replied August 26th, 2010
I'm hoping one day I'll just wake up and it'll be all deep and lovely. Yes, mine is definitely the worst in the morning, I can barely talk. Whenever I'm nervous or under pressure it tends to get worse too but when I'm with my friends I don't notice it that much, I probably sound ridiculous though. Do you ever find that sometimes there are certain syllables that you basically cannot say?
|

replied August 26th, 2010
I've definitely noticed the same thing around friends, I still probably don't sound great, but I think it is somewhat better. As for the syllable thing, I think I've experienced that as well. Like, I'll be talking pretty well, but then my voice will just not be able to say a certain word/syllable, is that what you mean?
|

replied August 27th, 2010
Yeah exactly like that, and it'll take a few tries to actually say the syllable/word? I'd like to go to the doctor about it, but there isn't really anything he/she could do. Looks like waiting it out is the only option.
|

replied August 27th, 2010
Yeah, I guess so. Still, if you come across anything that seems to make it better. Be sure to let me know. And I'll do the same
|

replied September 11th, 2010
OMG, i have the same problem and it fricken SUCKS!! With me, mornings, midday and maybe a bit around night my voice is bad. Ive been to see the doctor and he said it was because of puberty, but he didnt even check... he just herd me and my mom and said it was puberty. I have to say, that the most embarrising part of it is when i have to do a presentation coz i totally loose my voice and it becomes more of a humming (nothing comming out but croaks) and then i start to shake a little (apperently) and as we all know... people laugh :'(. and sometime i tend to speak in the really deep voice when im out and have to do something (without friendds, so they dont judge or wat ever they would do) Im 14 and its been like this for roughly 2 years now, hopefully ill get to see a real speach doctor to see WATS UP.
Peace out.
|

replied September 12th, 2010
i forgot to add this in last night, the doctor i went to see that time said that singing out loud in the shower (or joining a choir) might help to speeden up the voice breaking.... if it is breaking.
|

replied October 7th, 2010
I agree night_rise, it is super nerve racking when you have to speak in front of people and then your voice messes up. Just wondering, have either if you had your tonsils out?
|

replied October 7th, 2010
I am a speech pathologist. When assessing someone's pitch I sometimes get them to clear their throat. That should be your "habitual pitch". What happens during puberty sometimes is that the voice does not "drop" and you end up with voice problems you are describing. Look up "puberphonia" and get a referral to a speech therapist if you can. Typically you need to be checked out by an ENT (ear, nose and throat doctor) first.

Good luck!
|

replied October 16th, 2010
When I clear my throat or cough it comes out deep. Puberphonia seems to be what I/we have as I have a prominent Adam's Apple etc. How good is the cure? Please reply.
|

replied October 17th, 2010
well... i havent had anything done to my tonsils (as far as im conserned) and ive taken a look at "puberphonia", it looks like its mostly curable but not 100% (i think). Mosing did u get ur tonsils taken out??
|
12 >>
Quick Reply