Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

WBC and HIV ?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
I am a 19 year old gay male. Last year between September and October, I had a series of random hookups with guys after a pretty bitter break up with an ex-boyfriend. I met up with 8 guys in total, but only had intercourse with 5 of them (once giving, 4 times receiving). A condom was used every time, and I did a little check after each time to make sure the condom didn't break.

Last Saturday I had a small outbreak of cold sores (I have had them in the past, but to a much greater extent). Then Last Sunday (1/11/0Cool, which was 5 days before the 12-week/3-month mark after my penetrative encounter, I had this really crazy stomach cramp that landed me in the ER. They said my symptoms were odd because I had a fever associated with vomiting but no diarrhea (they mentioned that food poisoning doesn't usually go hand-in-hand with a fever). However, after taking a blood sample for testing, they did mention that I had (at the time) a WBC count of 8400, which is supposed to fall in the normal range. So I left after being giving nausea medication via IV. Then a couple of days later I developed some early cold symptoms (drainage and congestion).

My worry is this - all these symptoms came around the 12-week mark and I'm terrified I have an HIV infection. I know that trying to diagnosis HIV on the basis of symptoms is not accurate and rather foolish, but it's the timing and rapid sequence of my symptoms that are freaking me out. Can someone lend me some support or opinions? I would really like to know whether that WBC count would be indicative of anything.

Note - I am getting tested for HIV using an oral test. Are oral tests at the 3-month mark conclusive?

Thank you all very much.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: WBC and HIV ?
biochemmajor wrote:
Note - I am getting tested for HIV using an oral test. Are oral tests at the 3-month mark conclusive?
I say Yes.Some people say get a blood test but I had the oral test and it worked for me.
I am glad you are taking steps to find out if you got infected with HIV or not.Knowing is the first step.If you come back negative then you have learned a very important lesson.You cant let breaking up with some one dictate your attitude towards your health.It isn't worth it.
If you come back positive then you are still healthy and it is very early on..with medicine you will be fine. Its just a matter or wrapping your head around a new way of life..good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?