Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Water sounding abdomen?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
If your pregnant does your abdomen sound like water dripping and stuff when you listen to it with a stethoscope? My friend said it does but im not sure so please answer asap?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Jdb1022,

Once the fetus is big enough that you can hear the heartbeat, it is often said that it sounds like a washing machine. It is sort of a very rapid, swish-swish-swish-swish- The heart rate will be very fast, up around 150 beats a minute. It should sound basically like it sounds when the doctor uses an doppler to listen to the heart beat.

You may have to hunt around a little to find it. And it is not always in the same location.

Also, the heart beat can usually be picked up by ultrasound as early as 6 to 7 weeks. It can be heard by doppler around 10 to 12 weeks. Using a stethoscope, the baby has to be pretty well along to hear it.

Good luck.
|

replied August 7th, 2011
Ok thank you. If I am pregnant I am only 7 weeks and i was just wondering what it should sound like in there right now if I am because i listened to my abdomen with my stehtoscope and it sound like water dripping gurgling etc. and my boyfriends doesnt.
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Jdb1022,

You will not be able to hear the baby's heartbeat with a stethoscope that early in the pregnancy.

The gurgling you are hearing are "bowel sounds". That is coming from your intestines, as the peristaltic waves move food on through the system.

Bowel sounds are very variable. And the can be quiet for many hours at a time. So, when you were listening, yours were active and your boyfriends weren't.

It will be some time before you can hear the baby.

Ask the OB/GYN doctor to show you what the baby's heartbeat sounds like the next time you see him/her. At first, he/she will have to use a doppler, but later, you can actually just use a stethoscope, or a special OB stethoscope, which has a head piece attached to it.

Good luck.
|

replied August 9th, 2011
Ive listened to normal bowel sounds and what my stomach is doing sounds nothing like that it sounds like actual water like a fish in water and it constantly does itts never not doing it the top of my stomach sounds like normal but the abdomen sounds like a fish in water but nothing like bowel sounds? n i also have this ball like thing in my abdomen?
|
Tags: abdomen, pregnant
Quick Reply