Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Water before wisdom teeth surgery ?

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I'm getting all four wisdom teeth taken out on Wednesday at 3:40pm. I'll be going to work that day, the oral surgeon told me I couldn't eat or drink anything 8 hours before the surgery. The nurse said that since I'm waking up early for work, I could have something light for breakfast like toast and a bit of juice.

My question is, since I'll be at work till about 12 - 1pm, is chewing gum or sipping on some apple juice okay? I will get shaky if I go the whole morning without eating anything.

What about water, am I not supposed to drink any at all during the day? On the paper he gave me it says I can have 1/2 a cup for the Valium 40 minutes before the surgery. But what if I get thirsty during the morning?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 20th, 2010
Hi, I recently got three wisdom teeth taken out. I was under general anesthesia and was told no food/water 8 hours before the surgery (I still had to take 4 antibiotics an hour before the surgery with a tiny sip of water, but that's all I had) I was very nervous about taking in any fluids before the surgery. I was lucky though, because my surgery was at 6 AM, so I just slept through it.

I would recommend that you do not take any food/fluids at all 8 hours before the surgery. I looked into the reasons for this and it seems that there's a chance you could aspirate while under general anesthesia. I don't know too much about it, but it's basically when food comes back up and 'goes down the wrong pipe' ..so you could get food/liquid in your lungs which could cause infection or other serious problems.

If you're feeling shaky at work, I would just go home early and rest.. better to not risk it.
|
Did you find this post helpful?