Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Walk with a limp

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Walking..I have developed a limp when i walk, noticibly more when say walking around a shopping centre or crossing a street, i feel like i am about to trip over, and more so if the floor or road is slippery, people have often remarked saying " whats wrong with your leg" or things like that..i have a bad back and suffer from sciatica (L4/5 Region} so wether this is causing my limp i am not sure.. Now when i go shopping i use a shopping trolley to be able to walk around..T he thing i notice is this doesnt happen on rough surfaces such as grass or dirt...I am a male age 56...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied July 20th, 2012
When I read your post, I was looking for answers, but now I feel that I may have some answers for you. I too have been walking with a limp over the past few years. At first, it caused no pain, but after a while, I began to feel pain in my back, especially after walking long distances.
I think the problem is related to the spinal column, especially the lower back. I think my lower back problem has been caused by walking significant distances while carrying heavy bags. You might want to read up on the spinal column, herniated disks, and spinal decompression.
A few years ago, I tried using an inversion table and after three days, I found that my limp was gone. Believing that I found a solution to my problem, I continued to walk while carrying heavy boxes. This only aggravated my problem. I only recently acquired an inversion table and started using it regularly a couple weeks ago. The results are not as quick as they were two years ago because I allowed the problem to persist too long.
If you don't know what inversion therapy is, look it up on the web, you will find many articles. You will also find demonstrations for inversion tables on the YouTube.
It is starting to work for me now, but it will take some time. The sooner you start, the easier it will be for you to resolve your problem.
I hope this helps.
|

replied July 22nd, 2012
I have the same issue at the moment. I injured my back about a year ago and have noticed the limp on my left side , which is where I injured myself. I have been to a few physical therapists and its due to scar tissue in my left side that has limited my mobility. If you cant lift your legs straight when your sitting down then you might need to get on a stretching regime (Mackenzie exercises) to lengthen the scar tissue and help the limp.

Von
|