Medical Questions > Mens Health > Prostate Forum

Waking up with prostate pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Last night, I woke up with a pain in my prostate. It was a terrible, constant pain, and I had hoped it would go away if I ignored it. It didn't. It went away after I got into the bathroom and urinated. I knew I needed to urinate, but couldn't, it took about 3 minutes of trying before I actually could. Like I said, the pain went away after that. I have frequently had trouble urinating, where I know I need to go, but still end up standing in front of the toilet, trying. It has never been associated with any kind of pain, though.

In the past, I've owned a prostate vibrator and I'm familiar with the feeling of it being sore after a rough session. But I haven't had the vibrator for months now, haven't done any anal play for weeks, and this pain was easily ten times worse than anything I'd experienced. I wonder if the fact that I masturbated earlier that night had anything to do with it. To me, it doesn't seem too likely, but I have no idea, I'm no expert.

Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 5th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I'd be hesitant to assume its your prostate, what you're describing sounds a lot more like a urinary irritation. Masturbation wouldn't likely be a cause of either problem. Either way I'd talk to your doctor about any severe internal pain, especially if it's recurring.
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2009
Experienced User
Maybe you're right, but I was fine all day when it came to urinating. Although, I do think I went an awful lot today. If the same thing happens again, I'll be seeing a doctor.
|

replied July 7th, 2011
I've had the pain that you described for years. Been to a few docs, they can't tell me what the cause is. I have found that when the pain wakes me up, immediately take ibuprofen and have a sitz bath (hot as you can stand). This alleviates the pain rather quickly. It does suck at 3am though.
|

replied July 9th, 2011
Not sure but sounds like kidney stones. Does it hurt when urinating?
|

replied July 10th, 2011
No, but I am unable to urinate during these episodes. The pain can be described as a dull ache that progresses to a sharper pain in addition to muscle spasming. Without intervention, the pain can become very intense. It is centered in the prostate area between the scrotum and anus. Like I said above, I have found that it is manageable with an immediate dose of ibuprofen and a hot sitz bath. What is odd though, this almost exclusively happens in the middle of the night. I've been to a urologist, and have received a PSA screening resulting in no cancer. However, he has found white blood cells in my urine on occasion. I am under 40, so this does cause some concern.
|

replied January 25th, 2012
I have the exact same thing and it only happens at night. It gets very severe very fast but yes, taking Ibuprofin or Tylenol takes the pain away within 20 minutes or so. I've had all the testing as well and nothing has been found out. I'm only 44 and have been dealing with this for a few years now. Seems a little odd to me that nothing can be detected if there are others out there.
|

replied January 26th, 2012
In my experience, doctors' really have no solid answers about this. A little update though, I have switched to a mainly vegetarian diet excluding dairy products, and have noticed a dramatic reduction of these episodes...nearly gone. This leads me to believe that diet as something to do with it.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
I have had the same issue throught my life. Sometimes the pain is so severe that I pass out. I suspect that diet may play a role.
|

replied February 1st, 2013
Prostate pian
I have had the exact same thing. It usually starts just after sex but not always. I started to notice that it was happening more after eating large portions of protein. I have talked with several doctors and they don't have a clue. One doc. told me that the prostate does tend to swell after consuming a lot of protein? It is really sporadic. The pain is intense but usually goes away after taking ibuprofin.
|

replied March 30th, 2013
I also have the same recurring prostate pain you've described, but mine likes to hit at 2:30am. I've had kidney stones in the past and my doctor seemed to think these episodes were related. As soon as I wake up I drink two or three glasses of water and try to occupy myself while I wait. At some point the pain magically stops and I even get an endorphin rush. Then I can finally urinate and go back to bed. From the time I wake up to the time the pain goes away is almost exactly 1hr.

I've had this issue for years now and I'm only 30.
|

replied April 16th, 2013
Found this article on proctalgia fugux. Describes my symptoms exactly.

http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/pro ctalgiaFugax.html
|

replied May 6th, 2013
From what you’ve described I think your problem is with the prostate. An aging prostate is very common in men in their40s and they say half the men in their 50s have problems like this. The prostate gland grows throughout a man’s life and at this age it is commonly big enough to affect urinary flow and functions, particularly noticed in the night. You might want to try a prostate vitamin supplement - these things usually work and have no side effects. If not, I’d suggest you see another urologist.
|

replied August 31st, 2013
I have felt this short, sharp, stabbing pain in the same area for years. Mostly at night, sometimes after orgasm, sometimes after I have used the toilet. I also believe that it's proctalgia fugux, as it describes what I feel precisely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proctalgia_fu gax
|

replied March 21st, 2014
Sharp pain in rectal area at night.
Yes, I have this occasional pain in the rectal area at night, and it is well described by Proctalgia Fugax. it will wake you up and it feels like you just went for a very hard stool, except that the pain is constant and sharper! I have had great success in managing the pain to go away faster by doing three things; 1. masturbation with ejaculation... it will stop the pain in 80% of the time. 2, Sit on a bidet with warm water and massage the rectal area with the stream jet of water. 3. Take two pain killer if needed.
|
Quick Reply