Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Waking-Up to Swollen Hands & a Numb Arm

I have been experiencing numbness throughout my entire left arm, as well as swollen hands and or fingers in the morning when I awake. Sometimes, I think the pain in my hand(s) is what is actually waking me up. The swelling and pain in my hands recedes within 3-10 minutes, usually, but has persisted for almost an hour--on rare occasions. The numbness in my left arm, however, is continual and persistent throughout the entire day, at varying degrees of intensity, sometimes flaring then dying, sometimes extreme but localized to certain areas. What is most disturbing to me, though, is that it happens almost every single day, even moreso than the swelling in my hands/fingers. What is happening to me?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2016

Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of your symptoms do not indicate one specific disease. The exact condition hence cannot be identified here. It could be due to arterial, venous or a systemic disorder.

Some indicators of peripheral arterial disease include: claudication pain (worsened by exercise and relieved by rest), pain on walking or at rest, skin changes (atrophic or dry skin, bluish or gray discoloration, lack of hair growth on the legs, shiny skin, non-healing ulcers, erectile dysfunction in men, weak or no pulse in the legs.

During a Raynaud's attack, the affected area typically turns white, and as oxygen fails to reach the extremities, they can turn blue. You may feel tingling or painful throbbing, and the affected area may swell. Symptoms can resolve quickly or may last for hours.

Raynaud's is a condition seen on its own, but also shows up as a "secondary" disease alongside other autoimmune diseases, including Hashimoto's disease, Graves' disease, lupus, Sjögren's Syndrome, scleroderma, and rheumatoid arthritis, among others.

Other conditions that can mask as vascular conditions include musculoskeletal sprain,and hypothyroidism.

In case you do seem to have any of the above signs and symptoms, you may need to consult with a doctor, who can do a proper assessment of your history, physical evaluation of your blood vessels, and if needed blood tests and imaging studies like doppler ultrasound might be needed.

This might help in proper diagnosis and treatment of your condition.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.