Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Waking up screaming

User Profile
Im a 19 year old girl and i have no medical conditions but lately i wake up screaming at the top of my lungs and i have no memory of what i was dreaming about or what triggers it. it is really scaring everyone who lives me with me. all the research i have done relates to young children. please help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2009
Sleep Disorders Answer A8290
Hello.

These are symptoms suggestive of Night Terror Disorder. There is usually no memory of the dreams. Night Terrors are seen in adults as well as children, but the reasons and treatment modes may be different.

Having a regular diet, following good sleep hygiene are some of the steps you can take towards reducing hight terrors. You may opt for psychotherapy or counseling as these modes of treatment are known to help with night terrors on adults.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is neither intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, nor to create a doctor-patient relationship.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.