Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Waking up in a Panic...need help!

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
For the last week or so, I've been waking up in the middle of the night, and very early in the morning feeling out of sorts and in a panic. I'm very scared of something, what exactly i don't know. I'm pretty sure it's stress and anxiety, but I just need to know if anyone else is dealing with this, and how they treat it. I'm currently taking citalopram...which i've been taking for quite some time. It does wonders for my anxiety. This problem with sleeping is quite bothersome to me. I don't want to go to bed anymore, because I know i'm gona have a long night of suffering. Please help! thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
Experienced User
This is quite common with panic disorder. Give Cbt a try if you want lasting relief. Cbt is great for panic anxiety and depression but you have to do the exercises everyday so it does take a lot of work and self discipline. I still do the tea form exercise that I learned in the book by sam obitz daily and the thought processes that eliminate panic and anxiety have become ingrained in me but it has taken time and effort.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
this is the first time i have ever replied back to any thing l wasnt even aware that other people would be going through the same thing?l have found that being in my own place now for some time my panic attacks have decreased. but l used to wake up during the night yelling and screaming opening up the curtains looking for some kind of light. l dont know if my condition is worse than yours but l have found that as l have gottend older (34) i am now scared to get into elivaters and i hate planes. My body just shuts down. hope this makes you feel a little better. if you would like to talk more........
|

replied April 14th, 2009
Experienced User
Reply notifications with no reply?
I keep getting reply notifications but when I go to see them my post is the last one still???
|

replied August 24th, 2009
get over it. Why does everyone need a pill for their problems. It will pass eventually.
|

replied September 1st, 2009
Experienced User
applejax wrote:
get over it. Why does everyone need a pill for their problems. It will pass eventually.

I agree that we over use pills for just about everything. But to "get over it" many of us need help and that's why I recommend CBT. It has helped me immensely and many others as well. It is harder than taking a pill but a lot more effective.
|

replied April 4th, 2012
Experienced User
I hope everyone is doing better now?
|