Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Waking Nightmares

Hi Everyone,

QUESTION ONE:

I'm a 19 year old male and I have, for many years now, had scarily vivid and terrifying nightmares that do not end when they wake me up. What I mean is that, when I am woken up by one of the nightmares, I open my eyes and can still vividly see the things/people I was dreaming about moving around my room for varying amounts of time (anywhere from a second or two, up to nearly a minute on one occasion). Sometimes they even appear to be still be coming at me.
-Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, what is it called?
-Can anything be done about this?

QUESTION TWO:

Sometimes I have dreams where I am plummeting rapidly through complete darkness until I finally reach some type of ground which i promptly hit, and wake up at the exact moment. But when I wake up I feel a "sensation" similar to that of an icy-wind flowing through my entire body for a few seconds. Additionally, when I wake up my entire body is trembling/shaking somewhat violently.
-Has anyone hear of this? What is it called?
-Can anything be done about this?
-Should I seek some type of medical attention?

Thank You For Your Help,
WC12
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 25th, 2009
NIghtmares Upon Waking
I have the same experience, nightmares upon waking. I wake up and think there is someone in the hall. I call out to a family memeber and when no one answers I freak out. I see a figure coming toward me and I scream and yell for a loved one to stop this thing from getting any closer to me. I usually come to my senses when my husband or daughter hear my screams and come to comfort me. Does anyone relate to this? Help please.
|

replied October 1st, 2009
I have, and it's TOO common. Have you considered praying? Prayer does so many things, many measurable and empirically recorded.

But the wisdom is what you need, so you know what to do from there. Desperation often makes prayer an option, and honestly, a lot of people get what they need during prayer, and can find help there.

Be sure to ask specifically for what you want or need. This type of surrender relieves you of the responsibility and clears your mind to hear answers in the form of intuition.
Find people who can pray with and for you, people who love you and believe you, no matter what.
|

replied October 1st, 2009
re: waking nightmare
LoveTheGreatPhysician wrote:
I have, and it's TOO common. Have you considered praying? Prayer does so many things, many measurable and empirically recorded.

But the wisdom is what you need, so you know what to do from there. Desperation often makes prayer an option, and honestly, a lot of people get what they need during prayer, and can find help there.

Be sure to ask specifically for what you want or need. This type of surrender relieves you of the responsibility and clears your mind to hear answers in the form of intuition.
Find people who can pray with and for you, people who love you and believe you, no matter what.

I agree... and also, let people who care for you know that you are undergoing these things...
|

replied July 20th, 2011
waking nightmares
I'm 15 years old. And When i was up from a bad dream its still there. I lay in bed not able to move i feel pressure in my chest. Sometimes i see millions of bugs crawling everywhere and i cant get away or i see something hovering over me. Its to the point where im scared to go to sleep. when i have theses waking nightmares i lay there frozen then all of the sudden i am on the other side of my bedroom. my parents dont belive me about theses waking nightmares. I know they wont hurt me but im still scared.
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2013
I'm pretty sure this is sleep paralysis. Google more on it
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2013
I'm pretty sure this is sleep paralysis. Google more on it
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear that so many people have this problem. I also suffer from this issue. I've seen thousands of spiders crawling under my blankets, and a man standing at the foot of my bed on several occasions. However, I have been able to link mine back to a cause.

You may want to find out if you have any food alergies. I personally find that my brain has adverse reactions to the chemicals they use in red food dye. Any time I eat a bag of skittles or drink red koolaid or fruit punch, I tend to have these waking nightmares.

It took me quite a while to trace it back to that being the issue, but once I did, I started feeling much better and the waking nightmares disappeared. One suggestion would be to start keeping track of what you ate the days you have your nightmares. You might be able to narrow it down.
Another possibility would be to go to an alergy clinic and get tested. They might be able to help you with food alergies, but I can't promise anything.

I hope this information is helpful!
|

replied September 18th, 2012
Waking nightmare?
In the early years of W.War 2, when only two years old, I had a waking visual experience which today, aged 75, I still remember as vividly as the night it happened. I had been put down to sleep in a cot hard up against the right side of my parents' double bed. The bedroom was lit by subdued light from a pair of gas mantles on the wall to my right, and my parents were in the living room chatting or listening to the radio. I recall hearing a noise which prompted me to raise myself on my right elbow and look towards the noise source. Vividly etched in my memory is the vision of a magnificent maned lion, which tilted its head as it emitted a roar which I now know to be typical of the species. Remember, at that time there was no TV and I had not been to any zoo. Any kiddies' books would not have contained a representation of a lion in the accurate detail I witnessed. I wasted no time in clambering over the side of the cot and over the bed, screaming as I scrambled towards the living room. My parents said I'd been dreaming, but I knew I had been wide awake. Eventually they got me to stop screming and after a while my father carried me back to the bedroom, where he showed me a representation of a lion's head on each of the light fittings. I remember, even at that tender age, thinking they were nothing like the lion I had seen and experiencing a childlike form of scepticism. It remains one of the most memorable experiences of my life.
|

replied October 28th, 2012
Waking nightmare.
I too used to have similar waking nightmares as a child. The nightmare itself was a repetitive one which 'hurt' my head. It felt like needles penetrating my skull. I would wake up and still feel the pain of the nightmare. The only way I could get through it was to fall back asleep. I could see, hear and move as normal but the pain was still there. Something about a calculation that didn't make sense is all that I can remember. As I got older it became less and less frequent until now I don't suffer from it at all. All I can say is it's something I grew out of and I hope the same happens for the rest of you. Not pleasant. With hindsight I often wonder if adolescence or growing pains were an attributing factor.
|

replied November 23rd, 2012
waking nightmare-just overactive immagination HELP I NEED SLEEP
I have a situation even more rediculouse (Not to de ligitimaize the seriousness of your situation) where I'll wake up after a negative dream or just from sleep and be semi awake laying in bed next to my husband just IMMAGINING the worst things on earth I cant see them (no halucinations)but am truley afraid of these absolutley ludacris thoughts like I always think that as I can see into our hallway from my bed that a figure will appear or walk past my door and not just like a person intruder but some rediculouse monster I never actualy se it as it doesnt exist but still i always immagine its right about to happen some kind of very thin humanesque rabit monster with long claws realy silly stuff and even in my semi awake state I know its irrational but the thought is still ligitimatly frightening for a period of about 1-5 min of semi conciousness right after awakening or ill imagine the cat has somehow contracted and developed full blown rabies overnigt and is planing to attack me or that if I roll over or just move I'll find my husband ready to plung a knife into me ... such wacky stuff! I dont wach violent tv or movies
I know its silly but it has plagued me since as long as I can remember. Just an over active immagination i guess but it is realy hard to sleep after this happens wich is why Im posting this at 4:30 in the morning! lol any thoughts or ideas welcome
|

replied October 3rd, 2013
Hello! I'm a medical stdent, and i occasionally have some sleeping problems, which i think can be related to those you have. It's called sleep paralysis, and it comes with a paralytic state after waking from a dream. Basically your body is still sleeping while your mind is awake. You can hear, you can feel, but you cannot move. This triggers hallucinations in most people, often very vivid and frightening. For me when i first experienced it, it was nothing more than extremely interesting, but the more i read about nightmares, the more i remembered them, when having a period like this, so sometimes it got scary. Still, the last time i had this, i thought i was completely awake just lying motionless voluntarily, but i only hallucinated that i can see and i saw the room from the same position, where i just was. It took me some time, till i realized, i'm avake, alone and paralysed. I can imagine you having similar problems with some vivid hallucinations, not knowing what you're really experiencing.
I think it's a good idea to look at it from the scientific side though, it helps to take it more objectively, and to calm yourself down. If you just go into a library, they usually have access to journals online like Consciousness and Cognition or others, and you can use google scholar or pubmed to find real scientific papers. I really hope, it helps!
|