Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Wake up and continue dreaming? (Page 1)

Hi. I have a history of untreated (not severe or even bad) sleep apnea... When I was younger I would wake up and couldn't breathe etc. I developed an anxiety disorder and had panic attacks etc. but got over it after 4 years of prozac and training. I've been panic attack free for a long time.

Recently (for about a year) I will wake up while I am sleeping and see things that cannot exist. It's as though I am awake but still dreaming. The things I see usually terrify me and I just throw my covers over my head and rationalize the situation (my heart is usually pounding) then confront the darkness.

There is never anything there. The dreams don't keep me from getting sleep as they are terrifying... but I am a strong person... Either way, they are getting increasingly sinister... The first one happened last summer when I woke up and saw I was covered in thousands of black widow spiders. (that weren't there). The second was of odd, spinning needles in the air moving in the wind. The third was a man standing over me. This time I jumped up and swung at him, smacking my fist into the wall hard enough that I had to patch it the next day. When I went to hit... him... He jumped into the shadows on the wall - I raced for the door, thinking only light would save me from his plans. I succeeded... but narrowly.

The fourth was more spiders. They used to come every week or so but they come almost every night now. Last night I looked out the window and saw what looked like 100's of children hanging from the tree outside my window. The leaves looked like chidrens corpses suspended by the branches... I shined my flashlight on them and they didn't change. Not until I got up and approached the window did I see they were just leaves.

As you can see, the dreams have provoked strong emotions in me.

Any ideas? Also - I stopped taking the prozac years ago when I got better. I wonder if it's my anxiety manifesting in my dreams...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 21st, 2009
This sounds like you may have a major sleep disorder or mental illness. From what you describe it sounded like Sleep Paralysis; but that obviously includes being Paralysed and unable to move, usually from waking up during REM sleep. It sounds like it because you see things many Sleep Paralysis sufferers will see, but you are fully awake and even able to respond.

If this is still happening I strongly suggest seeing a Doctor and maybe he can refer you to someone. If not then it was likely, in some of the cases explained, lack of awareness of your surroundings paired with the absence of light you could easily have imagined things. The hanging children was obviously your brain seeing things that where not there.
|

replied March 24th, 2010
dreaming while awake?
I woke last week from a very bad dream I couldn't recall. I was terrified as though I were a child--afraid of the dark and afraid something bad would happpen. All of a sudden I felt the bed shaking and then the headboard rattled. It lasted about 30 seconds. After it was over I wiggled in bed a little to mimic the sensation, but the headboard was quiet; it's secure to the bed. The next day I couldn't get it to budge unless I moved the posts (it's a hiigh post bed). I listened to the news to see if there had been a minor earthquake. I don't normally have nightmares. I don't have a ghost, I'm not on any psych meds, and I know I was awake. I did have a heachache that I had when I went to bed. The only rational explanation I can think of is I was awake but my brain was still dreaming. As I said I didn't recall my dream, but I have a weird feeling I was dreaming that my bed was shaking and when I woke up I was afraid it was going to start shaking and it did. So maybe the scenario was so similar to my dream...beats me.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
The Man
Do you mind if I ask what the man by the bed looked like? I know a few people with dreams of 'this man that stands by the bed', they are all females and the one trait they all agree on is that he has straight jet black hair, although his clothes differ from person to person. I found this coincidence quite strange, anyway I hope your dreams have subsided and are no longer a problem anymore.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
Do you mind if I ask what the man b the bed looked liked? I know a few people with dreams of this man that stands by the bed, they are all females and the one trait they all agree on is that he has straight jet black hair, although his clothes differ from person to person. I hope your dreams have subsided.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
Once in awhile Ill fall asleep, yet still know whats going on around me. I sometimes see trojan men runing up my walls, i also cant move and sometimes cant breath, i tryed a few times to call for help but i cannot talk loud at all, after all this i fall asleep..

once i even felt i was being choked by someone and i couldnt move or talk what so ever, i also fell right to sleep after this.. I notice it only happens when i sleep in my room. I tryed sleeping in my brothers or even on the couch and nuttin happens
|

replied August 28th, 2010
DON'T BE AFRAID
What you have been experiencing is sleep paralysis and the scary hallucionations that come with it. Don't be afraid. Learn that it is natural and all the monsters and bad guys are just creation of your mind. Instead of reacting with fear, try to remember they can't hurt you and that all sensations are just your mind tricking you and it will disappear or you will wake up. Believe me, because I also have it! Or had it for many years and now for more than a year it stopped. I have lucid dreams and other experiences, but the scary sleep paralysis has subsided. Don't take pills, don't think you're crazy, it's somehting that happens to many of us, small failures of the sleep and dream process, you just have to learn ho to deal with it and NOT BEING AFRAID because that fear feeds it!
|

replied February 15th, 2011
Freaky
Okay when I read the story about the spiders a shiver ran down my spine as I also get the dream with the spiders and I can also still see them when I wake up. I also wake up to see a strange dark haired man in the corner of my room looking at me. I've seen him so many times now I was able to draw every detail of his face in a drawing book. I'm getting to the stage where I don't want to sleep a night. I don't have an anxiety disorder that I know of and I'm not on any medication. It's really scary.
|

replied February 21st, 2011
Waking dreams
I have had two instances of waking up from a nightmare and continued to see the subject of the dream playing out before my eyes. I can only now remember the first dream clearly. In that dream I was driving in my car with my youngest son. We were suddenly sucked up into a tornado that swirled us to the very top of its cone. Looking down into the center of the tornado, I could see the ground way, way down, and all the activity going on there. I knew once the tornado stopped turning, we would fall so far down that it would kill us. Of course, this was terrifying, and I was saying "this is bad, this is really bad!" Then I woke up. I knew I was lying in my bed very safe and not in my car at the top of the tornado. My eyes were open and around the periphery, I could make out the shapes of things in my bedroom, but dead center in my vision, I could still see the tornado, the way it was turning and I could still look down the tunnel to the ground and see the activity going on. I was absolutely astounded that one part of my brain was still dreaming the tornado while the other part was clearly awake, with my eyes open, watching the dream. I can't remember any of the details from the second dream, I can just remember that it was also a scary dream and that when I woke up and opened my eyes, I still saw dream images. I don't know if there is a term for what happened to me, but I would like to know what it is called if there is a term for it.
|

replied December 3rd, 2012
i am relieved to see that i am not the only one that suffers from this. spiders occur the most in mine as well. i also see demons and ghost and anything else that i can recall having nightmares of as a child. i am only 17 right now. i dont know what you call this "disorder", but im referring to it as dream living. so over the past coupple years i have been practicing lucid dreaming (being concious and aware your dreaming in your dream). it was going great and i could vividly remember all my dreams and decide what to do in them. in the last 3 or 4 months though something has changed.i am still concious and aware i am dreaming, but i can no longer control anything in the dream. and i am no longer having happy dreams, they are all terrifying(most of which are my fears from my childhood). so i am trapped in these nightmares knowing that i cannot wake up. and it still gets worse. the majority of these dream living occurances happen where i actually am, which is always my room. since the surrounding match up in my reality and in my dream reality, i gain complete conciousness while still dreaming (not lucid dreaming where i am just aware).i guess i am trying to say that my dream world and my real world combine...this may be hard to understand, so ill give you a example of just last night.i fell asleep and attempted to lucid dream something happy, but it didnt last long. about a hour in i was awake, but i was still dreaming(dream living). i "woke up" and hanging above my head was a terrifying spider the size of a backpack. i know it sounds rediculous but to me it couldnt have been more real. now this is where i start to get a little spacy on exactly what happened, but i know i ran. not just in my dream world, in real life too. my parents said i came running into thier room at 3:30 in the morning screaming like i was being murdered. i was rambling on about a huge spider and my dad went and searched my room and found nothing.my mom said she had never seen me this terrified in my life. i guess the dream passed , because they said that suddenly i just stopped and went back to bed. i had know idea this actually happened. i remember dreaming that, but i thought it was just a dream, nothing more. i could really use some help.
|

replied February 26th, 2013
false awaking of a dream within a dream
This is hard to.describe. I was dreaming about a normal good/bad scenario. In the dream I wake as if I am actually awake. A false awaking for the moment. Then exactly what I was "dreaming" about starts to take place as if it was actually happening like a premonition. Only this time the scenario seemed extremely more intense even down to rapid heartbeat due to the fact that I thought I had awoke and this was truly happening. Only to actually finally awake for a dream within a dream. I know it's normal or so I have convinced myself. I can only wonder if there is anything underlying to it. I say this because more time passes the more often dreams of the same nature occur. It's like they have evolved to trick my mind. I have had bad dreams before that seen to be realistic but found a way to tell myself within the dream that it's not really and I am just dreaming. Can dreams evolve on this level because I have been able to gain subconscious grasp and control that aspect an now my mind is in need of having to make me believe this is really when it is not? I know this is deep but I just am intrigued with learning about self subconscious.
|

replied February 26th, 2013
This is hard to.describe. I was dreaming about a normal good/bad scenario. In the dream I wake as if I am actually awake. A false awaking for the moment. Then exactly what I was "dreaming" about starts to take place as if it was actually happening like a premonition. Only this time the scenario seemed extremely more intense even down to rapid heartbeat due to the fact that I thought I had awoke and this was truly happening. Only to actually finally awake for a dream within a dream. I know it's normal or so I have convinced myself. I can only wonder if there is anything underlying to it. I say this because more time passes the more often dreams of the same nature occur. It's like they have evolved to trick my mind. I have had bad dreams before that seen to be realistic but found a way to tell myself within the dream that it's not really and I am just dreaming. Can dreams evolve on this level because I have been able to gain subconscious grasp and control that aspect an now my mind is in need of having to make me believe this is really when it is not? I know this is deep but I just am intrigued with learning about self subconscious.
|

replied September 11th, 2013
dreaming while awake.
I have had this happen to me and they always seem to be a very traumatic event. When I was extremely stressed out about a new job I would wake up in the middle of the night and jump out of bed or start thrashing around yelling that something was suffocating me or others I woke up and I still in my room but surrounded by animals everywhere and they kept getting closer and closer. My girlfriend would wake up and witness me jumping out of bed and yelling at things that didn't exist and the whole time I would be awake. I wasn't sleep walking. Eventually if I could calm down the images would eventually fade from my vision. This happened most often when I was extremely tired or when my sleep schedule was very off from my normal sleep pattern.
|

replied September 21st, 2013
Experienced User
You must consult to the physician, these are serious disease.
|

replied September 23rd, 2013
Hello!

I work at a TV development company in NYC and we are currently casting for a show about people who suffer from sleep disorders. If you're interested in chatting, please reply to this post.

Thanks so much!
Brittany
|

replied September 23rd, 2013
Hello!

I work at a TV development company in NYC and we are currently casting for a show about people who suffer from sleep disorders. If you're interested in chatting, please reply to this post.

Thanks so much!
Brittany
|

replied November 17th, 2013
keep a night light
|

replied November 21st, 2013
thankss god ... i have no problem...
|

replied December 7th, 2013
Seeing things at night, spider, apparitions, oblong entities.
I have seen these spiders, apparitions, and small globular floating things at night as well. I've been seeing them for about 2 years now. The first one was a very large mass stretched across my ceiling near the window. Lets just say that I didn't wake up to see it there, it woke me up. They all have shown the same behavior. They wake you up by getting right over the top of you, then they slowly move up and away until it move threw a wall and out of sight.
This isn't sleep paralysis in my opinion. How I know this is because first, when I see them, I'm not at all afraid, but mostly curious and intrigued. Second, I'm not paralyzed, I can completely move. Some say that this is a problem with eye sight due to lack of oxygen. If that is so then I should have sight issues with other objects in my room, but I can see everything else around me perfectly. Third, this only happens when it is dark. When I have the room slightly lit, this hasn't happened. So basically its only happening in the dark.

I believe these objects are like viruses. They seem to be feeding off of fear. Last night I had one "Flash" its energy at my "third eye" meaning, I was sleeping and it made contact with my consciousness. I immediately woke up because I saw, in my mind, a bright white energy ball flash in front of my face while my eyes were closed. I woke up and saw an oblong shaped greyish black object floating right above my face. As I stared at it, it waited for a moment, then slowly began to float up and across my room until it finally disappeared into the wall. I wasn't scared, but curious. it happened again about 30 minutes later but this time it wasn't as close. I locked onto it with my eyes and it slowly floated away into the wall again. This happened about 2 more times. Until I realized that this wasn't my eyes, something was definitely there. I realized that this might be some sort of entity so I planned to communicate with it when I saw it again. The next time it woke me up, it began moving toward the wall as usual and I told it to "stop". Normally it would just keep moving, but this time it stopped and waited for about 5 seconds then moved into the wall.

What I think is happening is that these entities are creating opportunities for itself to feed off of what it likes to consume, fear and negativity. There is some info about these entities on one of Amy Allans show "the dead files" One episode showed a little girl who repeatedly saw these things and drew them. Psychic medium Amy Allan confirmed that these were basically harmless but they did have the ability to effect our dream and cause people to have negative thoughts and create turmoil in relationships. I personally believe that they make a home in our walls or other structure and plant the seeds of negativity and then wait until its time to harvest it. I think they stay hidden and are able to absorb the negativity, fear without having to show themselves until they need to provoke more in the future.
These may be of earth elemental origin so they can actually be removed through using a shaman. But that's just my guess. My advice is to contact a reputable medium (one that communicates with the dead) to advice you on what to do. Some people may actually be experiencing medical disorders when they see similar things. I'm not going to say what you did or didn't see. I'm only offering another possibility which the medical field may not be able address. So best of luck in resolving your sleep issues whatever they may be. And keep a light on as this seems to diminish these events from happening.
|

replied December 7th, 2013
I have seen these spiders, apparitions, and small globular floating things at night as well. I've been seeing them for about 2 years now. The first one was a very large mass stretched across my ceiling near the window. Lets just say that I didn't wake up to see it there, it woke me up. They all have shown the same behavior. They wake you up by getting right over the top of you, then they slowly move up and away until it move threw a wall and out of sight.
This isn't sleep paralysis in my opinion. How I know this is because first, when I see them, I'm not at all afraid, but mostly curious and intrigued. Second, I'm not paralyzed, I can completely move. Some say that this is a problem with eye sight due to lack of oxygen. If that is so then I should have sight issues with other objects in my room, but I can see everything else around me perfectly. Third, this only happens when it is dark. When I have the room slightly lit, this hasn't happened. So basically its only happening in the dark.

I believe these objects are like viruses. They seem to be feeding off of fear. Last night I had one "Flash" its energy at my "third eye" meaning, I was sleeping and it made contact with my consciousness. I immediately woke up because I saw, in my mind, a bright white energy ball flash in front of my face while my eyes were closed. I woke up and saw an oblong shaped greyish black object floating right above my face. As I stared at it, it waited for a moment, then slowly began to float up and across my room until it finally disappeared into the wall. I wasn't scared, but curious. it happened again about 30 minutes later but this time it wasn't as close. I locked onto it with my eyes and it slowly floated away into the wall again. This happened about 2 more times. Until I realized that this wasn't my eyes, something was definitely there. I realized that this might be some sort of entity so I planned to communicate with it when I saw it again. The next time it woke me up, it began moving toward the wall as usual and I told it to "stop". Normally it would just keep moving, but this time it stopped and waited for about 5 seconds then moved into the wall.

What I think is happening is that these entities are creating opportunities for itself to feed off of what it likes to consume, fear and negativity. There is some info about these entities on one of Amy Allans show "the dead files" One episode showed a little girl who repeatedly saw these things and drew them. Psychic medium Amy Allan confirmed that these were basically harmless but they did have the ability to effect our dream and cause people to have negative thoughts and create turmoil in relationships. I personally believe that they make a home in our walls or other structure and plant the seeds of negativity and then wait until its time to harvest it. I think they stay hidden and are able to absorb the negativity, fear without having to show themselves until they need to provoke more in the future.
These may be of earth elemental origin so they can actually be removed through using a shaman. But that's just my guess. My advice is to contact a reputable medium (one that communicates with the dead) to advice you on what to do. Some people may actually be experiencing medical disorders when they see similar things. I'm not going to say what you did or didn't see. I'm only offering another possibility which the medical field may not be able address. So best of luck in resolving your sleep issues whatever they may be. And keep a light on as this seems to diminish these events from happening.
|
12 >>