Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

vomitting black phlegm

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
I started out just being nauseous alot and having frequent heartburn. A few days ago I was spitting into the sink and black phlegm came out. I was horrified. I look into my mouth and honest to god, my tongue was black and had this gross mettalic taste. I have never been a smoker and I have no idea why this gross thing is happening. I am now nauseous and can not eat much of anything. I have to admit, I am afraid to go to the doctor. I am really scard something is seriously wrong, but all I found on the internet is that smokers have this happen.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome to EHEALTHforum!
Are you experiencing dryness in your mouth, too?
Is this stain mostly concentrated at the base of the tongue?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2008
Supporter
Found this:
Individuals with "black hairy tongue" merely have a taller-than-normal forest of papillae. The extra height comes from an accumulation of keratin, which is the chief protein found in hair and skin. Normally, keratin sloughs continuously and gradually from mucous membranes and skin. (In fact, "discarded" skin cells are the chief constituent of house dust. There is a critter that makes its living by eating this stuff: the dust mite. People who are "allergic to dust" are usually just allergic to dust-mite poop!) In people with black hairy tongue, not enough keratin is sloughed (or, perhaps, too much keratin is being produced at the surface of the tongue).

No one knows for certain what causes black hairy tongue, but there are several well-known associations. ("Association" means, "We see A and B occurring together, but we're not sure whether A causes B.") Black hairy tongue is fairly common among smokers. It is also sometimes seen following treatment with antibiotics. Other associations with black hairy tongue include radiation therapy to the mouth, poor oral hygiene, frequent use of strong mouthwashes and frequent use of antacids.
|

replied June 24th, 2008
black vomit cont'd
it is definitely not black hairy tongue. It is over my entire tongue, but I also cough it up in my plegm. My mouth is dry and tastes icky. I do use a lot of antacids.
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Marianne0558 has right about frequent use of antacids causing black hairy tongue.
If you are concerned about having black phlegm, you can visit a doctor to get checked for some lung infections.

Are the sides and tip of your tongue involved with this?
|

replied June 30th, 2008
black stuff
it's just on the surface of my tongue. Almost like someone took a majic marker and colored it. nothing on sides or tip. It doesn't seem raised either, like hairy tongue, but I have been coughing more frequently so I think I should get my lungs checked. Thanks for all your comments.
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
Waiting for your new informations about checking your lungs!
Wishing you all the best!
Marija
|

replied March 29th, 2011
This is very clearly a sign of an ulcer, especially that you require frequent antacid use. The metallic taste in your mouth is iron, a component of blood. Bleeding ulcers cause the "coffee ground" appearing particulates in your mucus. Those who have not studied medicine should probably refrain from answering forum questions.
|

replied April 12th, 2013
Black Mucus
Acid Reflux causes black phlegm. When acid splashes into the esophagus, it becomes an irritant and forms Black mucus i have gotten it burning in my mouth and nostrils.
|