Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Vomiting bile after gallbladder removal

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hi, I had my gallbladder removed 8 days ago. Things were going ok but last night I suddenly felt very nauseous, hot and had abdo pains. I went on to vomit a large amount (about 300ml) of bile. I had eaten approximate 2 hours earlier and had been eating small amounts throughout the day and so I did not have an empty stomach, however there was only bike in the vomit. After vomiting the abdo pains lessened, and I felt much better.

I am now constantly nauseous and I have a bitter bile taste in my mouth. I am able to eat and have been eating small amounts but I have no appetite at all. I have some pains in my abdo and right side off and on and they are increasing but are manageable. I am also sore around the belly button, which has started to leak a small amount of yellow/green liquid. I am also running a low grade fever I think.

Is this normal or should I contact my gp?

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2010
No, these symptoms are not normal. Your abdominal pain and vomiting could represent retained stones inside of your bile ducts, bile leak, infection, pancreatitis, or/and a reaction to your pain meidcation. Yellow-green fluid coming from your incision is concerning for infection (and, less likely, for a possible bile leak).

You should see your surgeon without delay.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race" (2010)

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied December 29th, 2011
I had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago. I still stuggle with the taste of bile and vomiting bile. There are certain foods that i CANNOT eat (eggs being the main one) and sometimes certain foods will cause it and other times those foods don't bother me at all. Will there ever be any relief? Is there anything I can do?
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Had a GB removed a week ago. Got home 4 days later and I started vomiting green bile, huge amounts (about 1.5 liter every 8 - 12 hours).
Where is it coming from?
Where should it really be?
And why am I vomiting it?
In addition, I can't really eat, lost my apetite completely. I do drink water.
Thanks
Ella
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Had a GB removed a week ago. Got home 4 days later and I started vomiting green bile, huge amounts (about 1.5 liter every 8 - 12 hours).
Where is it coming from?
Where should it really be?
And why am I vomiting it?
In addition, I can't really eat, lost my apetite completely. I do drink water.
Thanks
Ella
|

replied May 20th, 2012
My daughter had gallbladder surgery about 6 months ago. She has had problems since. Two days ago she ate crock pot ribs. Yesterday she started vomiting and started diarrhea tons of bile. She is still throwing up dark green bile today. What should she do and if she goes to ER what should she tell them to make sure they run the proper tests?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.