Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

vomiting at night with abdominal pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
About a week and a half ago I started vomiting in the morning and it lasted about 24 hours, naturally I assumed stomach bug. The problem with that is, I still throw up all night every night. It's hard to go to class and stay there because I'm getting no sleep at night as a result of this. The pain in my abdomen changes location but is usually the bottom right or middle. I had thought it may have been cutting out my before bed snack, but even with a light snack, like a slice of bread, I still spend all night throwing up. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2010
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Causes of vomitings can be many. However the common ones are gastritis or peptic ulcers, gastroenteritis(irritation and infection of the digestive tract.),gall bladder disease, liver pathologies, migraine, GI diseases and neurological diseases. It looks like gastroenteritis to me due to the sudden symptoms. Gastroenteritis can be produced from viral,bacterial and parasitic infections, contaminated food or water, food poisoning, use of harsh laxatives, change in bacteria that normally live in the intestinal tract, chemical toxins in certain plants, seafood, or contaminated food, and heavy metal poisoning. Take adequate fluids throughout the day.

The BRAT diet (ie, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be taken. Antimicrobial therapy is indicated for some bacterial gastroenteritis infections. However, many are self-limited and do not require therapy. The specific antibiotics are taken for specific bacteria after stool culture. If the symptoms persist then the above possibilities are to be ruled out after thorough investigations. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Users who thank anandsingh for this post: kk_brismom 

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2010
This doctor has given you excellent advice. It is very common to have a parasite with what you are going through & MANY doctors over-look that. It was mentioned & that is what I suffered. Get medical help for sure. Good luch to you!
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.