Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Vomiting and diarrhea during Period. (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi, for the past few years I've been going through hell. When my period begins, so does the pain. Almost instantly I begin to have severe diarrhea, uncontrolable cramps, vomiting, and hot flashes. I can't keep any food or beverages down, nor can I smoke a cigarette or walk for too long. Showers help, but as soon as I'm out I feel sick again. Here's the kicker, I've been to 4 different hospitals and 3 doctors. I've been diagnosed with hormone issues, food poisioning, bipolar, endometriosis, and anxiety. They have prescribed sopasotories, given me multiple blood and stool tests, and I've had tons of exams and x-rays. I'm currently on birth control, but those few days between are terrible. I am at my final straw, no doctors can agree on what's wrong with me, I have NO previous medical conditions, and I'm suffering. Please tell me if you've experienced this as well and what the doctors told you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper neopawlitan
|

replied April 19th, 2012
yes
yes my name is steph too and i have these same symptoms from about two years ago. im 21 now, and ive known my periods have always been rougher than other girls, but recenly it is unbearable. vomiting, diarrhea, hot flases, shaking, back pain,cramps, all at the same time. lately I have been fasting before my periods because I know it will completely detox my symtoms, so that has helped in lessening the vomiting, but nontheless the intense cramps stay. I really hope this is not just "something you have to go through" because of genetics or what not. I'm lucky I'm not working right now, but if i did, I would most definitely have to take the first day of my period off, because I am incapable of functioning. I have not gone to the doctor yet, but either way it doesnt look promising since they will either prescribe me birth control pills (which I am unwilling to take) or possibly go through the experience you went through. More awareness should be given for these intense periods
|

replied September 30th, 2013
I suppose I am lucky I am 49 and this hasn't been since past 3 years that things have escalated. Last night was the worst...4 hours of senseless vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, chills, just ugly. Since reading GI did eat a few thing that may have triggered this latest episode...what makes my situation is it is a premenstrual symptom.. I too thought I was alone...haven't mentioned to Dr because I already feel like a Nut Job.
|

replied September 30th, 2013
I suppose I am lucky I am 49 and this hasn't been since past 3 years that things have escalated. Last night was the worst...4 hours of senseless vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, chills, just ugly. Since reading GI did eat a few thing that may have triggered this latest episode...what makes my situation is it is a premenstrual symptom.. I too thought I was alone...haven't mentioned to Dr because I already feel like a Nut Job.
|

replied June 20th, 2012
painful periods
I have dealt with this for years- in high school I once scared the nurse by vomiting and passing out at the same time. The last gyno I saw actually told me I was a liar and making things up when I described the intensity of cramping, diarrhea, and vomiting. Since that Ive been going to a family planning clinic and taking depo- for nine years now. I am tired of relying on hormonal manipulation of my body just to function normally. I would like to have a child one day- but it is very hard to do that if you're taking so much birth ctl that you don't even get your period anymore! I am very unhappy and depressed to feel so ignored by doctors and so forced to be almost dependent on that stupid med just to function. Since it is now clear that we aren't alone it would be nice if we could get real answers and solutions.
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
Severe menstual symptoms
Hi, I am also glad to know that I am not alone when it comes to having these same symptoms. I was sick this evening which has really discouraged me. I have had problems similar to this since my period started. By similar I meen I only would have diahrrea and not the vommitting. Other symptoms the same. My gyno prescribed birth control 3 months ago and for those three months the symptoms had gone away. This 4 month everything is back to "normal". And I can't stand this. In one of the above post someone mentioned fasting before the first day. I have considered that because it would help to prevent the vommitting but these symptoms are to unpredictable. This has happened to me as early as two weeks before to one week before to during my period. If birth control is not the answer what else is there?
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
Stephhh
Stephhhhj
Are it hormones normal?
I had these problems and as I got older they got better.
I'm 34 now, one I got off the birth control pill coaster.
Took soy(helps regulate pd) cramp bark(helps for cramps) wild yam ( if soy is not enough i tried this) pearl (it has good bacteria in it)
It will help with diarrhea.

This was how I did it.
I had endometriosis and dysplasia I healed that now it is gone.
I used olive leaf, aloe (I tried for a bit and made my sugar drop)
Garlic and good bacteria as a cleanser and suppository.

Good luck. It health is in it hand dont depend on it dr.
|

replied November 7th, 2012
For the severe cramps and also vomiting-since the vomiting results from the cramp, take drinks every 2-3 hrs. Orange juice, Fanta, citron coke etc. Cramps will remind you when you forget. 20-30cl every 2-3hrs.
|

replied December 9th, 2012
I'm only 15 and also have exactly the same symptoms. D: Except I get cold flashes too? If that's such thing, but basically I get MAJOR temperature changes. I have seere diahorrea to the point that every 10-30 minutes I have to go to the toilet because I feel like I need to take a poo, but it's only diahorrea. And the amount changes every time. I've had my period for two years and I can't stand it. Knowing that I'll have it for practically my whole life. The pain as well as the mood swings has me considering suicide sometimes, but luckily I believe that God has better plans in my life. I also believe that I'm bipolar as I have all but two of the symptoms (whether it's the time of month or not) but I haven't been diagnosed -- yet alone gone to a doctor for it, but it really doesn't help with period pains at all.

I've done what is called the 40 Hour Famine as a fundraiser for third-world countries where you giving something up for 40 hours, whether it be food, speaking, furniture, etc.. I decided to give up on food this year for the cause, and I got my period on the second day of the famine. I have to admit, it did help in the slightest with vomiting, but nothing else.

Today, as I'm writing this post, I should be at school but I made up an excuse to stay home, otherwise I would vomit at school, it's happened several times before.

To answer your question, I only have one position that minimises my pain, not fully, but mostly. Place your head on a pillow on the floor, face down whilst kneeling. Arch your back like an angry cat and put quite alot of weight on your head. Don't forget to stick out your butt. Haha.
|

replied October 14th, 2013
See i have the problem apart from i dont have the diarrhoea which is very lucky i have the cold flashes and severe shaking i do normally vomit alot but the latest period I had my nose started bleeding and i felt like passing out I used to be able to sit in that position to sooth the pain but as i have got older its started to not work so what i do is have a boiling hot shower it dosent stop the pains but it certainly soothes it
|

replied January 19th, 2013
me tooo
You guys may want to get tested for being anemic
I have the same symptoms
|

replied January 24th, 2013
I've had the same problems for a year now. This came on a bit suddenly during grad school. I know this sounds a bit crazy but I exercise like crazy the week before my period and that seems to help some.
|

replied February 10th, 2013
horrible painin my first day of menstruation
Dear girls, i have the same problem since 13 years. Every month i priay this inhuman pain won't come. But it's unpredictible. I exercise, live a healthy life, fast in the day when i get my period, sometimes it helps but sometimes not. I've been ok for almost a year, just regular pain and nausea, but today the acute pain came striking in! I was on the street in tbecold, shivering, vomiting, not being able to walk home. I am now able to control the fainting by breathing in and out very loud and trying to massage my hands to keep myself awake. The last two times i fainted, some years ago, i also urinated when i was unconcious. Today, a lady helped me get home. It was snwing and freezing cold outside. She told she used to have the same but with 32 she took out everything, uterus, ovaries and than she was fine. Apparently, her uterus had grown wrong inside her so she anyway couldn't have kids. Previously she also trird doctors but nothing helped.
|

replied February 22nd, 2013
Diarrhea
Ugh I am up at 5 am and I've been up every hour and a half precious since I went to bed. For me it's just unrelentless diarrhea but I could probably throw up if I let myself. My stomach is just washing and grumbling and angry over and over. I started my period Tuesday and Thursday it stopped (probably from me being so dehydrated!!!) this has happened every month for the past 3 months and I thought I was just getting stomach virus after stomach virus but no one else in my family is getting sick. I had painful me steal cramps but never anything like this until I had my daughter. I breastfeed her and have since she was an infant, well now she's 20 months old and I think my periods are finally coming back to full force, only they're worse than they have ever been in my whole life!!!! If being pregnant/ bf a newborn was enough to keep this away, there has never been any bigger motivation to have another baby!!!

From what i understand the excess prostaglandins are what cause the diarrhea.
I've taken alieve, Advil, kayopectate, Imodium, and a partridge in a pear tree. Nothing has touched this. Anyone have anything that provides relief?
|

replied February 22nd, 2013
Dysmenhorrea
Oh my... I've been having painful cramps back,stomach and thighs... the whole shebang ...vomiting,diarrhea, hot and cold flushes, shaking, fainting. This starts from the 1st day up to day 3 of a 6day period. On average its a 24 day cycle. How i dread it each month...I only take over counter pain killers now... Paracetamol and ibuprofen alternatively.
Doctors cant do a thing, keep prescribing birth cntrol pills which i dont want to take..as many friends and family have more problem periods after taking them. I really cant let it be any worse than it is. Its quite likely endemetriosis but even that does not have a treatment...other than hormone and surgery which apparently does not last and needs redoing frequently.
Im 33 now and ive been suffering since i was 15. One pregnancy in my 20's did not help
either.
Im looking at alternative med...but really am too tired to perservere..I dont work...i wish i could be normal.
Seeing there are others out there with similar period pains makes me feel like im not some weak freak who cant handle a regular period(as some would have me believe). However my heart goes out to you all and i pray pray pray everyone will find a way to eliminate the pain. I really do hope doctors can see how disabling this can be.

Love and peace xx
|

replied February 25th, 2013
Ugh how do we fix it?
MAKE IT STOP. UGH. I'm going through it again, right now. It's usually one day, one day out of the four days my period is, where I'm in unbearable pain from cramps and in my back and thighs, vomiting, shivering, and having diarrhea constant. You think it's going to stop hurting and pass, but nope, never. I used to only get this every three periods, but now it's every month. It started with I first got my period at 14 and now I'm 19. I can't take it. My doctor said to take pain killers, which doesn't touch it. To be honest, getting completely plastered, drunk, is the only way to make the pain stop. I don't want to have to rely on being wasted for an entire day, every month, to not have to be unbearably miserable though. I have a poor immune system as well, and it used to be that I would just get sick every period, but now it's this.
|

replied February 26th, 2013
Vomiting/Diarrhea
I am currently going through the same thing. Some ideas that have helped in the past are listed below. Like most of you, I've also consulted my doc about it and the things I found that seem to help are:

1. A good diet plan at least a week before-(i.e. no greasy foods, no dairy products, no candy/chocolate, no carbonated beverages/drinks, no sweet treats.
- Instead eat plenty of fresh fruits & vegetables
-Decrease meat intakes; try only eating fish during this time
-Take/eat ginger...there is a tablet/pill form of it you can get over the counter... a week before your menstrual starts (helps with digestion); or take some type of antacids.
-Take pain pills a week before your menstrual starts (ex. some pain pills may not help...Aleve is the only thing that helps me. Midol makes me cramp more.You have to find what works best for your body.)
-Make sure to drink plenty of water during this time and green tea (drink this at night)
-Hopefully everyone is already taking vitamins daily.
-If you are not already, start exercising at least a week before.
-Something new I started was taking Vitamin D (you may want to consult your doctor about this)...

Remember your body is losing blood/nutrients that it needs; so it is important to replace these things.
This is everything that I do to decrease the cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea during my period.

Best of luck...
|

replied April 2nd, 2013
Hello my name is Roselande and I was happy to see this post because I thought I was the only person in the world with this problem. I started having all those symptoms when I was 12 years old I could not go to school on the first day of my period and if I was at school I had to go home. I visited many different doctors about these symptoms and they all had no idea what was wrong with me I heard the word hormone imbalance from all of them a few suggested I try birth control pill to help control the symptoms my mother refuse to allow me to be on the pill at such a young age. I eventually got on the pill when I was 16 but it only help with some of the symptoms nothing stopped the vomiting,bone aches,hot flashes and diarrhea.I would always have to explain my undiagnosed medical condition to my job so they could understand and not fire me if I can't work due to these many symptoms I also had to bring in documentation from my doctor to verify I wasn't lying. My nightmare finally ended when I was 25 years old after I had my daughter a lot of the worst symptom whent away like the vomiting and bone aches I still have the killer cramps, diarrhea,and hot flashes and sometimes I feel like I will vomit but it has never happened since I gave birth and I have not been on the pill since I was 23 years old I kind of got scared of those birth control pill commercials and people saying they developed medical problems from using the pill.
|

replied April 10th, 2013
Me too. You guys are definitely not alone. I've just come to facts that this is normal and we are just the ones who have it the hardest when it comes to periods and pain. I'm given a warning when my period is about to hit. My stomach starts hurting before I start my period to let me know it's coming. As soon as I get that crampy pain feeling, I take 2 Ibuprofen and I relax. I feel better after the pills start working. I take another 2 pills at night right before I go to bed. Then the next day I start my period. As soon as I wake up in the morning, I take another 2 pills. Then again in the afternoon when the pills start to ware off. I do this every day for the 4 days I'm on it. 2 pills in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and another 2 right before I go to bed. It helps, trust me. Get the highest grade Ibuprofen you can find if you don't want to take that many pills.
|

replied April 26th, 2013
Cataflam and the injection to not get your period at all
Hi ladies

I take cataflam - 5omg; an anti inflammatory. Which helps reduce the pain; however my legs still go practically numb, my uterus feels like someone is ripping it apart, my back is very tight and in pain, the diarrhoea and nausea is still very present. I bleed excessive for 7-8 days.

Please try cataflam.

Ive been having these pains since my very first period, ive been admitted to hospital twice. And no solution yet. So, i went on the injection for 2 years (THE BEST TING I COULD DO FOR MYSELF) to not get my period at all. I consequently gained a lot of wieight rapdily. So now im off the injection and regretting it. i think i will go back on if i dont go for surgery to sort this pain out.

Im sorry that you ladies are in this horrible pain, thats a major hinderence in life. I sometimes miss work from pain and discomforts. I hope the Cataflam can help ease your pain. from Shari
|

replied May 13th, 2013
Menstrual pain and sickness
Hi i have had these problems for a year now and to get rid of or ease the pain i use those period pills that help with menstrual symptoms, their called MIDOL. They work wonders! With the first sign of my period i take one/two and i have no cramps and no vomiting or diarrhea. I didnt think they would work for vomiting or diarrhea but they do! if you dont like to take pills just sleep of the pain and sickness, it helps.
Best of luck!
|

replied May 13th, 2013
oh and by the way ur vomiting and diarrhea is caused by cramps, so thats why the pills worked.!
|

replied May 16th, 2013
I feel your pain
Hi I had these same symptoms when I was a teen. I'm 34 now and the worst thing I get now is diarrhea once or twice during my period but from the ages of 15-25 I vomited and had diarrhea at the same time always and only on the first day of my period. My only assumption is that it was tied to my diet or lack of and my weight as I was always thin naturally. As I got older it stopped,my only medical issue has always been bipolar disorder and severe stress so tummy issues are my norm Sad
My suggestion is to question these things : your weight are you too thin?
Also how do you do under stress? (Pms) adds to it.
Also do you get enough iorn and potassium?
I only suffered low blood pressure once causing near black out,also ask your mom if hers were bad too because my mom had issues around her teens also. Long story longer you may grow out of it.
|