Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Vitamins that reduce stress/anxiety, and increase brain power?

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
Over the past few days I have been researching different vitamins and supplements that help ease everyday stresses, anxiety, and ultimately increase brain power. I have sorted through many forums, sites, and medical reviews and gathered a list as to what vitamins/supplements I should try taking.

My question to you is:

1.In what order do I take these if any order is present?
2.Should I eliminate any of these listed?
3.Are these all vitamins/supplements that improve cognitive power, relieve stress, and reduce anxiety?
4.What are the recommended daily doses of these vitamins/supplements?
4.Any questions,comments,concerns you have for me.

About me:

I am 22 and work at a fairly stressful job as a manager/waiter at a local restaurant. I do not take any medication or pills to increase energy, cognitive thinking, or reduction of stress and anxiety. The only vitamin/supplement that I take is Pantax Ginseng and have noticed an increase in my reduced stress levels and a boost of energy. I refuse to take adderol/ritalin to increase my cognitive ability but have noticed over the past year or so that I am having troubles with school and everyday interactions caused by stress and anxiety. Here is the list of vitamins I have researched and am thinking about trying out.

List:

B Vitamins (B1, B3, B6, B12)
Folic Acid
Ginkgo Biloba
Omega - 3's
Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
DMAE
Phosphotidyl Serine (Heard when its paired with Omega - 3's it works well)
Vinpocetine
Magnesium (Heard about pairing it with Vitamin B6)
GABA

Thank you for your time,
Ethan
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jb101
|

replied November 25th, 2011
I have been taking prozac since 1994 and I abrutly went off of it I could not get any answers from my doctor. it has been 3 weeks and I feel about the same as before. Is that good
|

replied November 26th, 2011
If you have an adequate diet, vitamin supplements have little to no effect and are a complete waste of money.

The biggest problems with taking supplements are, if your body does not require a boost in that area you will not absorb it and it will be excreted away. Vitamin injections are infinitely more powerful but they run the risk of causing damage if you don't need them.

The best way to treat stress/anxiety is not to throw medication/vitamins at it, it is to treat the cause, why are you stressed? why are you anxious?

Stress/anxiety is a symptom of a problem in your life, the problem IS NOT caused by vitamin deficiency, added supplements might help a little but most studies have shown vitamin pills to offer no benefits in healthy people.

If your concerned, go see your doctor ask for full blood work including hormone levels, you will be able to see if you have any deficiencies there and then the doctor will be able to treat you with real vitamins (injections) pills are mostly worthless unless you actually really need them.
|

replied January 14th, 2012
I have had the same approach that vitamin pills are mostly worthless. It is true in most cases due to their very small amount of active ingredients and the ratio among the different vitamins and minerals in it. After reading the literature about vitamins I realised how little amount most multivitamin brands actually contain.
Once I realised that bigger amounts were needed to get results, I started to search for products with this new criteria. I have tried quite a few and settled down with the Lenkei multivitamin because of the
higher amounts and good ratio. The price was also important and this brand has a hot price.
Since I'm taking it I have more energy and I feel more switched on. You may want to give it a try

Chloe
|

replied June 13th, 2013
That's really good,their is not need for medication as it always would have an side effects too,may be it would give you an instant result for a time,but after a time span you would see the side effects too.
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2013
Best way intake vitamins is by food. Depending your condition you can intake vitamins in tablets.
|