Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

vitamins for parnoid schizophrenia

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Any one heard of vitamins treating schziophrenia and Dr. hoffer? What is Dr. hoffer's method to treat paranoid schizophrenia.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 3rd, 2009
paranoia
I think i have paranoid schiziophrenia. Can you relate - share your experience of psychosis and paranoia?

I was so paranoid i thought my psychiatrist was sending people to follow me to test me so i couldn't trust him.

I realise i was ill now but is it too late to tell him. I tried to tell my nurse and social worker about paranoia but i strongly feel they don't believe me because i kept quiet for so long. they think i'm putting it on but i'm not.
|

replied January 24th, 2009
Contact your Dr or new Dr, but see someone NOW
My son was diagnosed with Schizophrenia in Oct 2008 and he tells me the same things you noted above. Please remind yourself that no matter how real these delusions are, that you have a disease and the thoughts you have are yours but you need medication and therapy to help you stop going into these negative cycles.

You have to find a Dr that will treat you and you may need to go into a hospital for a while. Don't keep being miserable. You can live a normal NON -PARANOID life. The help is out there for you, reach out.

I wish you the VERY best!
A loving mom
|

replied October 2nd, 2011
This post is a bit old now but the message to anyone who feels like this has not changed. You must see a doctor. There is no need to live with the paranoia.
If you are feeling that there might be something wrong you are way ahead of those who can't admit it to themselves.
I spent 3 years trying to convince my wife to go to a doctor. She was admitted to hospital only when she could no longer function. It took only 8 weeks to get the real her back again once she was on medication. Don't wast all that time!
Also try to change your life. Exercise, vitamins, and good diet make a big difference.
At least 25% of people recover completely. Take the steps and you can be better than you were before. Take omega 3&6, gingko blob, antioxidants, and vitamin b.
Good luck ... Don't do nothing!
|

replied October 14th, 2011
Wish Hoffer was still alive to ask questions want a MD like him
Dr. Hoffer lived to be 94 and he wrote his last book at 94 His mega vitamin therapy is helpful my son at 26 has had better feelings on vitamins than the many many many different drugs tried in the last 3 yrs
|

replied February 25th, 2012
Vitamins worked well for my wife. We were uncertain about Dr hoffer's approach with mega vitamins. Instead she took the highest (I believe it is called "maximum daily limit") of all the vitamins that potentially work. Only one band appears to have put any effort into getting the dosages right for schizophrenia.
I mentioned it in my last post but someone has seen fit to remove the reference. As it is, I believe, the only brand specifically for schizophrenia and we are trying to help people here I will mention it again. Look for sbx vitamins and supplements.
In the event that they didn't work we were definitely heading in the mega vitamin direction. The other thing that needs to be mentioned is diet and exercise. Yeast, sugar, caffeine and alcohol should be removed from the diet.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
After reading this I went to the bathroom and they said "you don't know what your world is and what we can do with it." Fairly threatening I might add also.

I don't think that vitamins are going to do much for my problem.
|

replied April 12th, 2012
Then you are in no condition to try the advice offered on this site. Since Feb 25th I hope you've received some help!!! If you are lucid/normal now then you can try the good ideas offered here!
|

replied April 13th, 2012
Can't afford it.

As usual facing serious monetary issues.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
Hi oops again, I would agree that vitamins alone will be useless in your case. In my opinion, and I know that there are differing views, if you are hearing voices you need to find the right antipsychotic. I can much better comment on my wife's case because I know the details. We wanted her body to be healthy as it could be, after drugs made the voices go away. She took vitamins, exercised and changed her diet. It still took three different antipsychotics before the voices and paranoia went away. Now she is on a very very low dose about to stop altogether and we are very happy that she is fit and healthy. I don't want to be worried that she potentially has a deficiency of some sort causing the problem. She is back to work and her life has returned to normal. There is hope I believe for everyone.
|

replied February 27th, 2012
They would be useful in some ways though.

However, even the antipsychotics don't do much, only make it appear a certaing way to us. Turn us off. They've gone nowhere.

If it appeared a certain way to us, then we'd be "calmer" wouldn't we?

It's true, there is hope for everyone, but hope is a funny word isn't it.
|

replied August 5th, 2012
There are plenty of PDF files on google about niacin and schizophrenia or b3 and schizophrenia.

google for 'b3 and schizophrenia case study'

good luck.
|
Quick Reply