Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

Vitamin B6 for Carpal Tunnel

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
Can B6 help Carpal Tunnel? How much should I take? Are there any side-effects?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 12th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I have never heard of this before....I'll be watching for your answers on this thread...Take care.

Caroline
|

replied December 12th, 2009
I was part of a study at U of M, the study concluded that it was not helpful statistically. I however was cured from debiliating carpal tunnel.

My treatment plan was 50 Mg of B1 and B6 2x a day for three months then one week on and one week off for the next month, with a B complex afterward. Worked like a miracle for me.
|

replied December 12th, 2009
Oh and one side effect, it gave me extra energy. So don't take the vitamins late in the day, take them early or you might have trouble sleeping.
|

replied December 13th, 2009
B6 Solution for Carpal Tunnel
In several research studies, vitamin B6 deficiency has been associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. A study by the Portland Hand Surgery and Rehabilitation Center in Oregon examined 441 people and found that higher levels of vitamin B6 were associated with fewer carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms. Researchers also found that higher levels of vitamin C relative to lower vitamin B6 levels were associated with a higher prevalence and greater frequency of carpal tunnel symptoms.

A Japanese study of 174 university students found that students with lower levels of vitamin B6 showed symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Food Sources of vitamin B6 include sweet potatoes, avocados, brown rice, sunflower seeds, chick peas, salmon, pork, chicken, turkey, potatoes, bok choy, barley, bananas, and mangoes.

Risk factors for vitamin B6 deficiency:

* diet lacking in vitamin B6
* use of oral contraceptives or HRT
* consumption of foods containing yellow dye #5, such as some types of macaroni and cheese and pickles
* stress

A typical dose of vitamin B6 for carpal tunnel syndrome is 50 mg 2 to 3 times a day. Side effects may include increased urination. It can take up to 6 weeks to notice an improvement. The maximum intake from all sources should be less than 200 mg a day, unless otherwise recommended by your doctor.

|

replied March 14th, 2010
I am real interested in a the answer to this i have ct and i want to get my life back i have had it for many years and opted not to have the surgery, i have just been trying to deal with the pain and numbness and dropping things and ect...i bought some b6 today...but the bottle does not say how much to take does anyone know for sure and what is too much...does it go by weight? please reply...thank you
|

replied March 20th, 2010
I have been taking vitamin supplements for years, including B complex. But I developed carpal tunnel anyway. I read about increasing the dose, but didn't know about the research somebody just posted saying it won't help. I'm so confused?!?!
|

replied February 28th, 2011
I have carpal tunnel in both hands and have had great success I would definitely recommend vitamins not the ones they sell in supermarkets etc but the strong ones like in H&B, I had lost all grip strength had tremendous pain pins needles lost the feeling in 3 fingers etc I struggled to even pull my own trousers up. I took a B complex tho not just b6 as I found they worked better together. I take allot tho 200 -300mg a day all of my symptoms are better except swelling in my hands and when I wake I cannot make a fist. apparently there is no real recommended level on B vitamins as they are water soluble and cannot be stored in the body in large enough amounts to cause toxicity. I noticed a difference within 2 weeks.
|

replied January 2nd, 2013
Keep it simple: 100 mg twice a day - for 12 weeks....(that's THREE MONTHS...with consistency..... At age 45, I did this - and got amazing results for CTS....as well as other joint issues , tendonitis,bursitis.etc... Real RESULTS....for less than 20 dollars.... " Try it, you'll like it."
|

replied February 4th, 2013
B50 complex works for me!
My chiropractor advised me to take B6 to help with carpal tunnel symptoms that were getting quite severe. He said it was important to keep the B vitamins in balance and told me to take a B50 complex, spread throughout the day. When my symptoms were at the their worst, I took 200 - 300 mg (4-6 capsules) per day. I also received chiropractic adjustments. When I got better I cut the dose down to 100 mg a day. I have gone long periods of not taking any extra B vitamins, but whenever my hands start going numb I take them again and get better quickly.
|
Tags: b6 vitamin
Quick Reply