Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Vibrating feeling in feet (Page 1)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
for a couple days now i noticed my feet feel like they are vibrating...like i have a cell phone next to me on vibrate and it goes off.

it happens when im sitting still or laying down. when i am laying down i have to move my feet alot because it just feels uncomfortable for some reason.

i dont know what it could be. there is no pain it just feels like my feet are vibrating lightly. i am 20 years old.

sometimes my feet will feel like they are numb or like i was laying on my foot for a while and it will tingly a bit.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper my2cents4u
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
Vibrating foot too!
I have the exact same feeling in my right foot now. It has been five days and my foot feels like there is a cell phone in it. It vibrates for about 5 seconds. Stops for about 5 seconds and then vibrates again. This is not a tingling sensations, but more like a vibrating internally. I am very confused. It does not stop at any time.

I went to the doctor and they are sending me to a nuerologist just to make sure everything is okay.
|

replied November 30th, 2011
What did you Neurologist say?
|

What did you Neurologist say?
|

replied September 25th, 2012
I found that I get this "cell phone vibrating" when I drink to much caffeine (coffee,tea sports drinks like red bull). Lay off caffeine for a day or two in all forms and It most likely go away.
|

replied January 5th, 2013
How come my sons right foot vibrate. He's only 13 years old and it vibrates way too often.
Please reply. Kirito

P.S. My son drinks a lot of soda like coca-cola and sprite
|

replied September 25th, 2012
Lay off all forms of Caffeine. The "cell phone vibrating" will most likely stop in a day or two.
|

replied March 3rd, 2014
Please let me know what you find out or rather post here. I have the exact same thing to a T that you are explaining. It stops for like 3 seconds then starts for about 5 seconds. Absolutely no pain, no tingling. It is the weirdest thing and it's been doing it for 2 weeks not. Just in my right foot as well.

Wow a neurologist? That makes me nervous.
|

replied June 15th, 2009
I'm having the same thing in my right foot. The sensation recurs every 4-5 seconds in the outer aspect of my right foot. No pain, not affected by position change. no loss of feeling. What's going on? I don't have diabetes or a known neurological disorder.
|

I have the same ,started yesterday, but mine is doing this on the right heel of my foot.Do you know what can cause this?
|

replied July 30th, 2009
vibrating and pins and needles!!
i have the exact same thing!! i just noticed it about a week ago and it getting really annoying, i dont notice it when im walking but when im laying or sitting my left foot feels like its vibrating (the far side where it curves inward) it lasts about 5 seconds and happens every few minutes, i feel a faint pins and needles sensation at other times and sometimes if some one touches my foot jerks away (similarily to when a doctor bangs your knee with a hammer) i really dont know whats going on!! oh and im 20 years old
|

replied December 18th, 2012
There are generally two main causes for the cell phone foot:
1) a pinched nerve
or
2) a mineral imbalance

If you have had any type of back injury or back pain or neck pain it's probably a compressed nerve. You could try a heat pad on the spine or soaking in a hot tub with a few cups of epsom salt for 30 minutes. Pilates or stretching (e.g. Classical Stretch) might also help. You need to find ways to relax the muscles and that should ease up on the nerves.

If it's not that then you probably have a mineral imbalance, which could be from too much of something or too little. The body is an ecosystem and when it gets out of balance it talks to you, even if you don't know what it's saying. Often it's hard to tell, so you have to monitor your eating habits and supplements to figure it out. For example, if you take vitamins everyday and don't take a break from them you probably have a mineral toxicity in too much of something. Stop the vitamins and give your body time to rebalance. If you don't eat a very balanced diet and don't take supplements you probably have a deficiency. A standard American diet is often low in magnesium and high in calcium. These two are needed together to balance each other. Other nutrients like vitamin A and D are needed to balance each other as well. So if you take too much D without any A or vice versa you'll create an imbalance. Another potential issue is B12. Many people are low in B12 and find relief and more energy from taking B12 and/or B-complex for a week or more.

If you're on a low salt diet or you workout and sweat a lot you may be depriving your body of needed sodium & electrolytes. But don't use table salt, use SEA SALT or HIMALAYAN SALT. Both of these have crucial minerals that help the body stay in balance. Put 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water and drink a cup every now and then throughout the day (if you put it in hot water it will taste a bit like drinking soup).

If you're on a lot of medications you could be having fluoridosis, excess fluoride in the body, since it's often used as a filler in some medications, and is in toothpaste, and our drinking water. Drink more juice or mineral water, use fluoride-free toothpaste and eat cilantro (coriander) 3 times per week to help pull heavy metals out of the body. Then try something like Fulvic Mineral Complex to rebalance your system. You'll see some people mentioning Gatorade G2 helping them, that's because they probably were lacking in sodium, potassium, or had dehydration (or all of the above!).

Lastly, remember that your imbalance probably didn't occur overnight, even though the symptoms started suddenly. So you'll need to use some trial and error and be patient to figure out what went wrong. Also, don't expect a doctor to know what's wrong or what to do. Most are paid to treat symptoms, not find the problem. I know, I have several in my family and I know more about nutrition than they do. I've also had a side effect from a medication and had a doctor tell me "That's not a side effect from that." Sorry Doc, maybe not for most people, but for me it was. Each body is different. So save yourself some money and learn to be your own health expert and save the doctors for those rare emergencies.

Good Luck!
|
Users who thank my2cents4u for this post: 93Deb6969  dougy 

replied September 4th, 2009
I had to laugh when I read zapyisfun's post because I just told my pharmacist the same thing...that I feel like a cell phone is going off (on vibrate) in my heel. ring ring....ring ring....I feel like I need to "answer" my foot!
it's very strange.
if any of you finds out what this is all about pls post!
|

replied November 12th, 2009
Experiencing the same thing for about 3 days on the top of my foot near my big toe. so weird, would love to know what it is. also i'm 21.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
Vibratory sensation in foot
I have the same PHONE-SET-ON-VIBRATE sensation in my right foot. Now it seems to be intermittent day or night and for varying lengths of time. If I'm in one of those vibrating phases, just standing up after sitting a while will "trigger" it although most of the time it doesn't seem to need a trigger...it just happens. At first I thought it was an MS episode (diagnosed MS 1990, ambulatory, no apparent disability, no attacks since early 90's)and that weakness or coordination problems might come next but nothing has happened and it's gone on for at least a year. Also I have developed a pain in my back, left-sided, and just at or slightly below midway of my back. The back pain seems to come with ordinary activity but once it starts, resting doesn't necessarily make it go away. Anyone have any ideas...some sort of sciatica? I do also have a definite activity related pain in my neck that hurts when I'm say chopping veggies, or doing cooking requiring that I work at a counter top level with my head titlted forward in the same position for several minutes. Don't know if it's all related or just several things that seem to point toward nerve problems.
|

replied November 24th, 2009
I have the same problem noticed it last night. I tore apart the couch to find the thing that was vibrating. haha. So i went to bed and it continued. I did not get alot of sleep. Im 19 and its my left foot.
|

replied August 20th, 2011
Buzz in Left Heel
I know what you mean. I searched the whole house for the vibration until I realized it was only my left heel. Vibrates 3 seconds, stops for 10 seconds, just as regular as clockwork. This is at least the second day now. (I've noticed it before, but always attributed it to something in the house.)

I do take Cymbalta and Vicodin, with a multi-vitamin, and that seems to be a common thread here. I hope some doctor reads and replies.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
Vibration in the feet
I have the exact same problem. Sometimes it is in both of my feet. Right now that feeling has come back in my right foot. There is no pain - just this annoying vibration type feeling. I was tested for diabetes and that was negative. The Doctor doesn't really know what it is.
|

replied February 18th, 2010
Vibrations in my feet
Even I have vibrations in my feet or sometimes in my arms.
But that usually depends on my sitting posture.

They generally occur when I am extremely tired and the vibration starts.

I let it happens for a few seconds to a few minutes, but after the vibration stops I feel relaxed, it seems that the vibration that happens within our body comes from our nervous system as a self-healing mechanism.

I have never experienced anything negative out of it.

But if you don't want it to vibrate just tap you feet/foot or shake your hands and it will go away.
|

replied February 26th, 2010
I have this too!!! So strange and its driving me mad. It started yesterday. I'm really worried, why is everyone talking about diabetes/ms?
|

replied February 27th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi
if it continues i would ask you pc dr about seeing a neurologist. ....pete
|

replied March 4th, 2010
I have had this on and off in both feet for about 3 months now.

I became worried when I saw this thread: http://ehealthforum.com/health/vibration-i n-feet-t130173.html

Going to see a neuro soon.
|

replied March 4th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi
yah the neurosurgeon will check out all the symptoms carefully and probably order scans. i hope its nothing serious....pete
|

replied March 10th, 2010
Virbrating Foot
Hi:
I see most of you are very young, I'm late 30's and suddenly experiencing in my left foot. Its crazy we all look to see if our cell phone fell next our foot. Anybody who gets a clean answer please post to help us all. I wonder if its diet related?
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2010
vibrating foot
hi I am 47 and my foot started vibrating today on the right side. Hope someone can give an answer? I don''t feel as bad knowing that I am not alone on this subject.
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2010
I have it...it is from a pinched nerve in my neck. Maybe you should see a neurologist. Best wishes.
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
tingling in foot
I have been experiencing the same thing -- like many who have posted -- on the tip of my toes on my right side. Ironically, I too have had some pretty severe neck strain recently and just went to a chiropractor for relief. Makes sense that the two are related. I certainly hope so, anyway! It sure beats MS.
|

replied June 15th, 2010
vibrating foot
same thing - vibrating (no pain or discomfort,just weird) in right ball of foot. Comes a goes for a few seconds at a time, then nothing for hours or even a day. Started in December 09. Last month my left heel started vibrating. Saw the doc: he took some blood for B12, thyroid, calcium, and some others that affect nerve signal transmission....all normal. Next was the EMG and nerve conductance test: all normal except for mild carpal tunnel in right wrist (totally unrelated). Not sure what's next, or even if it matters. The EMG and nerve conduction rule out Musc Dyst, Guillaim Barre, and some other odd-ball things including plain-old damage. Next on the testing list is MRI and spinal tap. Again, not even sure it matters...unless it is MS...then I guess it's good to know.
|

replied June 15th, 2010
same thing - vibrating (no pain or discomfort,just weird) in right ball of foot. Comes a goes for a few seconds at a time, then nothing for hours or even a day. Started in December 09. Last month my left heel started vibrating. Saw the doc: he took some blood for B12, thyroid, calcium, and some others that affect nerve signal transmission....all normal. Next was the EMG and nerve conductance test: all normal except for mild carpal tunnel in right wrist (totally unrelated). Not sure what's next, or even if it matters. The EMG and nerve conduction rule out Musc Dyst, Guillaim Barre, and some other odd-ball things including plain-old damage. Next on the testing list is MRI and spinal tap. Again, not even sure it matters...unless it is MS...then I guess it's good to know.
|
Tags: feet, numb
Quick Reply