Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

very swollen insect bite

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
i noticed an insect bites on my knee around friday the 4th june, and of course as usual it was itchy.
so as usual, i itched it every so often but nothing excessive. it wasn't swollen nor was it red...
but last night (9th june) it started to get really hot and extra itchy than usual...
now today, the 10th june, it's been very difficult not to itch it.

the appearance of this bite is raised, my knee is swollen, maybe 1cm larger than usual,
the bite itself is red, then there is a white ring around the bite, then continues to colour red
it seems to be a rash, 1-2 inches around the bite mark, and there are small bumps surrounding it.
i have another slightly smaller bite below my knee, which is alot less red and barely swollen, yet still as worrying.
and lastly i have ANOTHER bite (insects love my skin!) on my elbow. this one is not raised, now red or that itchy,
however i only recently gained this, around the 7th/8th.

i've taken an antihistamine tablet, three hours or so ago, but it hasn't seemed to work just yet.
i'm worried! my boyfriend said i may have an allergic reaction, and could go into shock
if the swelling and redness is still here by tomorrow night, i'll be sure to see a doctor.

what is there that coule be possibly wrong with it? an infection or an allergic reaction?
Crying or Very sad help me! Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2011
(online)
Hello and welcome to E health forum.

Description of the lesions indicate the presence of cellulitis at the site of the bites.

You might benefit by using NSAIDs (Advil or motrin) and icepacks to reduce the inflammation. The itching can be reduced by OTC Antihistamines (Benadryl).

In addition consultation with a doctor for prescription of antibiotics to prevent secondary infection, if needed might be helpful.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.