Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

VERY Strange "Dreams"

I've had these "dreams" throughout my life and in these "dreams" there's always something that is impossible to prevent from happening, they are so powerful they can cause me to throw up and yet so weak I can snap out of it as soon as i realize I'm "dreaming". The "dreams" are also highly assisted from sleep deprivation.

During my younger stages the dreams were all similar, there would be some type bomb and strange shapes and some how the grass has something to do with the detonation of the bomb. Of course I can't put whats going through my mind into writing. More recent ones have related to what I had being doing in the past week or so. E.G. I read a book before I went to bed, it was about an epic battle in the medieval times and in my "dream" there were these arrows descending from the sky in my direction, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get out of the way.

So basically I have a very odd "dream" but when I wake I'm still "dreaming", I've being trying to find this disorder (if it is one) online but with no luck, so I hope some of you will know what is happening to me. Schizophrenia is also in my family though I do not know if this is related in anyway to the "dreams" I encounter.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2009
Supporter
Nightmares are a kind of sleep problem called parasomnias. Stressful things that happen during the day can turn dreams into nightmares. Nightmares may be a way to relieve the pressures of the day.

There are treatments for most sleep disorders. Sometimes just having regular sleep habits can help. Sometimes it helps to keep a dream journal, a notebook in which you describe the dreams you can recall. Tracking your dreams - good and bad - and how you felt before you went to sleep can give you a better sense of how your mind works at night.

If you have frequent nightmares, you might want to see a counselor or a psychologist to help you deal with your bad dreams. It will give you a chance to talk about some of the things bothering you that may be related to your nightmares. And if this doesn't help, you can always seek help from a doctor or medical clinic. Your doctor can help you figure out if the nightmares are the result of a physical condition and a sleep clinic will check your brain waves, muscle activity, breathing, etc. that happen while you sleep. If nothing else seems to work, your might be prescribed medications designed to help you sleep through the night.

Does that help?
|

User Profile
Supporter
Sleep disorder diagnoses
Also, here's a list of diagnoses that are related to sleep disorders. Just to help give you a list of things to research, and a vocabulary to work with.

Adjustment Insomnia
Advanced Sleep Phase
Bedwetting
Behavioral Insomnia of Childhood
Central Sleep Apnea
Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder
Congenital Central Alveolar Hypoventilation Syndrome
Delayed Sleep Phase
Dissociative Disorders
Eating Disorder
Environmental Sleep Disorder
Excessive Fragmentary Myoclonus
Exploding Head Syndrome
Free-Running (Nonentrained) Type
Grinding Teeth (Bruxism)
Groaning
Hallucinations
Hypersomnia Due to Drug or Substance
Hypersomnia Due to Medical Condition
Hypoventilation/Hypoxemia Due to Lower Airways Obstruction
Hypoventilation/Hypoxemia Due to Neuromuscular and Chest Wall Disorders
Hypoventilation/Hypoxemia Due to Pulmonary Parenchymal or Vascular Pathology
Idiopathic Hypersomnia with Long Sleep Time
Idiopathic Hypersomnia without Long Sleep Time
Idiopathic Insomnia
Insomnia Due to Drug or Substance
Insomnia Due to Medical Condition
Insomnia Due to Mental Disorder
Insomnia Nonorganic, Unspecified
Insomnia Organic, Unspecified
Insufficient Sleep Syndrome
Irregular Sleep-Wake Rhythm
Leg Cramps
Long Sleeper
Movement Disorder Due to Drug or Substance
Movement Disorder Due to Medical Condition
Movement Disorder, Unspecified
Narcolepsy Due to Medical Condition
Narcolepsy, Unspecified
Nightmares
Non-Obstructive Alveolar Hypoventilation, Idiopathic
Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Children
Paradoxical Insomnia
Parasomnia Due to Drug, Substance or Medical Condition
Primary Sleep Apnea of Infancy
Propriospinal Myoclonus of Sleep Onset
Psychophysiological Insomnia
Recurrent Hypersomnia
REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
Rhythmic Movement
Short Sleeper
Sleep Apnea/Sleep Related Breathing Disorder, Unspecified
Sleep Paralysis
Sleep Starts
Sleep Talking
Snoring
|

Uhh, I forgot to mention the dreams can last up to 10 minutes after waking until snapping out of it.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I'd suggest that you see a psychologist for a diagnosis, to set up a treatment plan and to follow up. It sounds as if you are experiencing a complex condition that's a little out of the ordinary. Do you know how to find a mental health clinic near you?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, Fracture!
You may check for a lucid dreaming.
Lucid dream is a dream in which the person is aware that he/she is dreaming while the dream is in progress.
Acctually, you can go in a sate of dreaming directly from a normal waking state.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied January 10th, 2009
Well considering it only happens when I'm physically/mentally exhausted I don't think I'll bother. As for lucid dreaming, I have lucid dreamt before, its very fun ^^. While I have these dreams I am actually walking around and often talk to my dad asking for help, as it is very unpleasant, sometimes causing me to throw up.
|

replied January 12th, 2009
I think a lot of people are thinking my dreams are just nightmares because I am calling them dreams. There is a reason why I quote dream.

I don't get any visuals or sounds during the state of mind it is just thoughts only (while awake). Even while asleep and in the state of mind there is hardly any vision aspect, I just see objects but there is no "world" like usual dreams. It is like a 2D dream with just plain black as the back-ground and I can faintly make out objects. That is the reason I usual quote dream because it is nothing like a real dream, the only way they are related is they are both experienced while asleep, though these "dreams" continue after i wake up.
|

replied March 21st, 2010
me too
WOW I am sooo glad to hear this. i mean not happy as I know how absolutly destructive it is to sleep like this everynight. Me too I have exactly the same problems for the last 7 years and it's killing me. My "dreams" which are not dream, wow Im so glad to hear someone else in the same situation, as noone around understand me when I say these are NOT dreams really, as indeed they can go on for 10 or 20mins are even longer even once awake. And I find it impossible to get out of bed because of it as it is soooo overly exahusting and stressful. Even if theses weirds dreams are not always disturbing, my heart is always beating sooo fast and stressing me out so much, it's unbearable. When I was with my ex i was desperate each morning for him to help me out of it. For him to hug me and do something, but no he never notice anything. Oh my glad to hear someone else suffer from this too, as not only noone around me seem to understand this, but even doctors or psychologist seems useless unfortunatly. I do know what to do anymore...if i don't have theses weirds "dreams" i have the most painful "anxiet attack" during the day. Again I quote because my attack are not like the one described in psycologist book. Anyway too much to say...if anyone in the same situation than me than write me.
|

replied April 6th, 2010
Worst sleep disorder ever?
I have this too except that I also ''act out'' what I''m dreaming, dangerous for me and scary for the family. My dreams are very vivid, so much so that I don''t recognise dream from waking. Sometimes I remember dreams, other times not. I wake tired every morning and don''t usually get more than 3 or 4 hours of interrupted sleep per night until I give up and take sleeping tablets. I have been on various meds and had 2 full sleep studies done but they just tell me what I already know, no-one has prescribed anything that works. Current thinking is a SSNRI drug combined with CBT because over the last 9 yrs that I have had this, my self confidence and mental state has deteriorated and I am at the end of my tether. No ''expert'' I have ever consulted has experience of this condition at the level I have it and I feel like a freak.
Anyone else got a treatment that works? I''d try anything!
|