Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Very real nightmare

I have a very real nightmare that started since I was about 18. It feels like I am awake when this happens. It sometimes happens very shortly after I fall asleep to any other time - I could be asleep for mabe even four hours. I'd say the most often this happens is about around 00.00am to between 04.00am - it happened earlier and later too.

No what happens - I open my eyes very suddenly and then there is a man standing either next to my bed or in the door of my bedroom. Mostly in the door of my bedroom. I immediately shout so hard that my poor family are petrified...and the enighbours and whom ever else hears me. I feel terrible...I know its only a dream or nightmare but I cannot stop it...

I reckon whenever I am stirred in someway, perhpas emotionally (and perhaps even in the sub conscious) this happens. Thing is I have no power over it...I cannot control it.

After this episode I am really miserable for a few days...Im just so upset.

I should see a psycologist...right..?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
See a psychiatrist. Waking dreams are often more of a sleep disorder than a mental one. They can run a sleep lab for you and figure out what's triggering your nightmares, possibly medicate you so that you don't have them.
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Thank you...
I forgot to say that this has been ongoing for the past 24 odd years... sure I will at some stage see a psychiatrist. I dont know if they do sleep labs in SouthAfrica, its worth finding out.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
I'm 18 now and I am having the same problem but with some slight alterations. When I see the shadowy figure no matter how hard I try I can't move to get away and no matter how hard I scream my voice doesn't come out. I call them night terrors since they differ from nightmares but night terrors are only common in young toddlers. I'm always afraid to go to sleep at night. Sometimes there is no figure but I simply sense a presence and can't move or speak. I will hear myself calling out to my significant other but it isn't real. It feels like my mind is fully awake but my body refuses to respond as I command and I can never "wake-up" from it. It usually occurs when I'm going to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night. Please tell me what I should do and who I should see if anyone at all...
|
Quick Reply