Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Very painful periods- need help!

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I have VERY painful periods- at one point I was unable to walk and advised to go to A&E as I had taken many painkillers and nothing had helped.

On the day before and after I start, I cannot sleep at all through the pain despite painkillers (which do not have caffiene in them) I have been given mefenamic acid, codydromal, paracetamol and these help...after about 2 full days of taking them, before then I am sleepless, exhausted and in pain. Every month.

I went to see a gynocologist after many months on a waiting list. She said my only option was to go on the pill. I said I did not want to go on the pill (I have just gotten to recovery from anorexia, any weight gain really makes my life a misery and as it is I refuse to see anyone/friends until I feel my weight is low enough again) the gyno said there was nothing else I could try.

Seriously- is there anything else? is there anything I can do or look for? I am in such pain every month, together with other symptoms liks spotting at ovulation, mild period pain at ovulation (though neither every month) loads of brown mucus when I exercise (I do alot of intensive exercise) and a huge increase in appetite and extreme fatigue halfway between my period and ovulation. I was told by one doctor in a&e that my periods were abnormally heavy, then by the gyno that they were normal.

I have had an ultra sound scan and they said there was nothing there but were unable to see my left ovary as the bladder was in the way, didn't feel the need to look into it.

I am at my wits end! There must be SOMETHING I can do?

Exercise can help when the pain dies down (day 3-5) but at first its just impossible- I do still force myself (exercise obession, all part of the ED) But its so painful I dread it alot.

I eat very healthily: loads of fruit and vegetables, lean protein only, low/no carbs at all and low sodium. I drink water like a fish!

I am a heathy BMI btw (BMI23).

Does anyone know of any alternative treatments? does anyone know if there are any reasons for my periods to be so very painful?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2010
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

There are two kinds of cramping. Spasmodic cramping is caused by chemicals called prostaglandins. Generally your gynecologist will prescribe either contraceptive pills or some other tablets to overcome these symptoms. There is no other treatment for this type of pain.

Congestive cramping causes the body to retain fluids and salt. For relief start avoiding wheat and dairy products, alcohol, caffeine, and refined sugar a day or two before the periods are due to begin. There is another possibility: uterine fibroids and polycystic disease of the ovary also cause severe cramps. Hence it is important to get an appointment with a gynecologist to check this out as your previous ultrasound was not clear.

Since you also have spotiing causes such as hypothyroidism, cervical dysplasia, cervical polyps, cervicitis (infection/inflammation of cervix), vaginitis (infection/inflammation of vagina), cervical and uterine cancer, uterine fibroids, hormonal imbalance as in polycystic disease of the ovary, use of blood thinners, genital ulcers, STDs and stress will have to be ruled out.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist and get this investigated. Hope this helps. Take care!
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
Hi Fluttered,
I had very painful periods since 15, more painful than childbirth. I was put on the pill, It helped but I hated it. It made me put on lots of weight, gradually. The only thing that helps, apart from the evil Pill is PAMPRIN, you can buy it from USA on Amazon. Another thing that works is NO-SPA, it's anti- spasmodic, you can buy it in UK in some POLISH shops. UK doctors do not take painful periods serously as most doctors are men. good luck tigerTIGER
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.