Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Very low abdomen pain!

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hello!

I am 25 years old, female, no children, no history of gynaecological problems/procedures.

I am of normal weight, sexual active (stable relationship) and I am not on birth control.

My periods are regular, of medium flow and causing me little/moderate pain.

I have suspected IBS (the constipated type) and I am a quite stressful person.

Here's my problem. In the last 2 years I've had a weird "pulling/piercing" sensation in my central/rightish lower abdomen every once in a while. It wasn't constant, it felt like a sharp (but not too painful) pulling sensation when I worked out/ ran/had to have a bowel movement. It only occured once or twice a month, usually around my ovulation and sometimes i didn't feel it at all. I had an ultrasound about a year and a half ago and everything (ovaries, uterus etc) was fine. No cysts, nothing to worry about.

My doctor dismissed the "pain" as IBS.

In the last 2 months, this pain has become definitely more frequent and slightly more intense. It is definitely NOT constant. I feel this pulling sensation when i have to go to the toilet, when i have to pass gas, when i run fast, when i jump up, when i do sit-ups etc. It feels like a side stitch, only it doesn't occur on my side, it occurs very very low in my abdomen, a bit above my pubic bone. It is centrally located and slightly to the right.

The weird thing is that it doesn't have a pattern. It doesn't occur EVERY time I do those things and it doesn't always feel the same. I may get a twitch of pain 3 times a day when I jump up from my chair and only have it last for a split second or I may get a pulling/cramping sensation on the same spot for 10 minutes when I am gassy or when i am struggling for a bowel movement. The pain is NOT excruciating, just annoying. Oddly enough, the pain feels slightly muscular and not deep.

An ultrasound will shed some light but i have no insurance at the moment so my appointment and ultrasound are scheduled for March.

I tried to describe the pain to my ob over the phone and he says that it could be anything, from an ovarian cyst to a hernia and from pregnancy to a IBS!

Does this sound like ovarian pain, bowel pain or hernia?

I am worried to death.

What do you think it could be? What does it sound like to you? Has anyone had a similar feeling?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The location of your pain, the very mild severity of the pain do confirm that you do not have any major medical issues. They are definitely due to functional disorders (arising due to stress or psychogenic conditions) like Irritable bowel syndrome.

In case, they were due to ovarian cysts , you would have issues like menstrual irregularity, severe menstrual cramps. The pain would be severe enough for you to seek immediate medical help at the ER in case of conditions like ovarian torsion.

The best way to get relief from your symptoms would be via OTC medications like Peptobismol or Bismuth tablets. If they are not helping you can consult your doctor for a prescription of antispasmodic medications like Dicyclomine.

In addition, you should also consult your psychiatrist for proper counselling and behavior therapy, so that you might be able to control your anxiety issues much better.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.