Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Very irregular periods at 42

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I am almost 42, and since I hit 40 my periods have been all over the place, sometimes 2 weeks, as long as 7 weeks between each one. Well I have now broken a record 12 weeks, and NO period, three pregnancy test (negative). I have the tell tale signs around the time I was due, but no period. I have also started to get very light headed when I lie down, whether this is related I dont know, but feeling really fed up with this, and was quite worried. So glad other people have the same problems, makes me feel normal.
I have quite normal thick/thin discharges at different times of the month but today I had a greenish discharge, which worried me a little. My husband says it is because of my age, and a lot of people tell me they went through similiar.
Should I worry or just go with the flow. Getting to see my doctor is a nightmare, so I have left it a while hoping it would settle down ?
Help, advice would be appreciated !
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi klk650,

It sounds like you are experiencing premenapause. Different women experience it at a different stage in their lives. A women can begin this as early as 25, although, very rarely. You will have many other symptoms as you enter what I refer to as the 2nd phase in your life, things such as night sweats, mood swings, emotional ups and down of sensitivity, as that of a roller coaster. Crying spellings. There are medication to help with these things. Most of all, just remember you are not crazy and that every woman goes through the Change of Life. Eveyone doesn't have all of these symptoms, some do and more. The main thing is to pay attention to your body and talk to your doctor and family about it. If you need more information on it do a search on menapause and learn all you can about it.

Good Luck,

Faded Rose
|
Did you find this post helpful?