Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Very bad anxiety

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I'm 16 years old, but I have very bad anxiety and have had bad anxiety for years. When i'm talking to people that I don't know well or at all, I get very red in the face and my heart starts pounding. Also, even when I am called on in class it's terrible. I start to shake, my palms get sweaty, my heart starts racing, my face turns red and my voice shakes. Right now I am taking a class to become a veterinary technician, and one of the things we did earlier this year was learning how to clip dogs nails. I wasn't too worried, but as soon as I started to clip the dogs nails my hands started to shake really bad and my palms got sweaty. Next year we will even have to take dogs blood, and if I want to do this as a career, I can't be this anxious and nervous if I don't want to hurt the animal. Is there any kind of medicine a young person like me could take to make my anxiety go away?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 18th, 2010
For the shaking and pounding heart you could try a beta blocker like propanolol, which blocks the effects of adrenaline on part of your system, which equals less pounding heart and shaking... you can also take this medication as needed. Performers frequently take it to steady their hands and reduce shaking... even some surgeons take it.

There are many meds for anxiety... check with your doctor or a psychiatrist, or even one that specializes in treating anxiety.

Then there's non-drug methods which you can combine with medication for the likely best results.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank A99 for this post: shanni09