Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Vertebral (C2) Hemangioma and Trauma

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Is it possible for a vertebral hemangioma to be caused by trauma? I was in a roll-over motor vehicle accident in which my head hit the ceiling/roof as we rolled. The first time my head hit, I distinctly heard a loud 'crack' in the area of my neck. I've had continuous neck pain ever since the accident (over a month ago) and the only finding on the MRI was a (possible) hemangioma taking up most of the C2 vertebral body. I'm having a nuclear bone imaging scan soon, in hopes of determing whether or not this actually is an hemangioma. In the meantime, I'm curious as to whether or not there is a possibility that such an hemangioma could be due to the trauma which occurred to my neck during the MVA. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 6th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied August 30th, 2012
GrandmaHeidi March 5th, 2011
I was looking for a reply to GrandmaHeidi March 5th, 2011 as I have the exact same problem. After an accident I have had extreme pain in my neck and they have found a hemangioma, which they say could always have been there. But it was never painful before if it was there - not this type of pain anyway. It has been almost a year now and I am on pain killers and muscle relaxants. I would just like to know if it is possible the accident could have caused or triggered the hemangioma? I only saw a list of info to go to here but no answers to GrandmaHeidi March 5th, 2011?
|

replied March 4th, 2013
Same, frustrating line of bull from thoughtless doctors.
I am looking for an answer to this as well. I have had sever pain in my thoracic region for 4 years now, and a recent MRI showed scattered hemangioma on the vertebra throughout the thoracic region of my spine with the largest being what is "probably an atypical hemangioma" at exactly the epicenter of my pain. The only traumamatic incident that I can associate to it was when I landed a backbench on a cement slab and heard the loud "crack" described by the OP, accompanied by an "electric shock" that turned into acute pain in that area that has progressed ever since. My doctors, like the others mentioned above, say that it could have always been there and that they don't necessarily cause pain, so they treat it very in effectively with tramadol and gabapentin. (I ran the gamut of muscle relaxers, and none worked. Valium does help quite a bit, but they don't prescribe it even though the pain has completely ruined every aspect of my personal, social, financial and sex lives so I am penniless and unable to do essential tasks like eat and bathe with any regularity. They insist as treating it as Chronic Pain Syndrome because of the length of time it's been going on, but completely dismiss my questions about why the incident caused pain in that region and why, after 3 years of begging for an MRI, I finally received one that shows this thing in exactly the spot I'd been telling them. If I can find a relationship between injury and hemangioma, perhaps I can argue a better case for surgical intervention rather than endless amount of only slightly evffective drugs. Any info would be greatly appreciated because I think it might start the doctors looking for other than a purely symptomatic, palliative approach. Thanks!!
|

replied May 5th, 2014
Hemangioma in my back after being hit by a car.
My horror story: I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle, last May. Eleven days after the accident I went to my VA doctor. I asked for an MRI, and he replied, "Oh, no, not now. Maybe when you're healed." I was aghast. I replied, "Why? Would't you like to know the cause of my pain and thereby be able to suggest a treatment?" "No," he replied. "What about a chiropractor?" I asked. He then lambasted chiropractors as being poorly trained, and said unabashedly, "Chiropractors are quacks!" Ten months later I pressed my doctor for an MRI. He relented. I had the MRI and about a week later I received a letter from my VA doctor. He wrote that the MRI showed nothing unusual, just mild disk degeneration. He had edited it, so I went to the VAMC in Portland for the complete records from the radiologist. Lo and behold, the report mentioned hemangioma between T1 to T9, and mostly in T4, which was ground zero near my right scapula. This is the main place I injured when I hit the asphalt on my back. My VA doctor had hidden the TRUTH from me. But why? Pure evil. So I applied to get a new VA primary care doctor.The pain is constant, sometimes lower from day to day. I cannot do twisting motions, especially while lifting weight. So goodbye tennis, goodbye golf, and goodbye bowling. How much is that worth, is the big question now. Hopefully, SAFECO will relent and negotiate with my lawyer for a fair settlement. Otherwise, I will have to wait another year to take them to court.
|