Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Ventolin vs. Proair HFA

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
Does anyone have experience using Ventolin and Proair HFA? Which did you find to work better?
I've read Proair HFA uses ethanol which can cause the wheezing to be worse, and I myself have (rarely) experienced worsening symptoms when using Proair. So I was wondering if I should try to get my prescription changed to Ventolin if it works better.
Also, which of the two brands are more expensive?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 14th, 2010
I've personaly prefer ventolin to anything else... However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the uk PROAIR is branded differently? So I can't really compare... But ventolin has always been the most effective for me (alot better than salbutamol turbo inhalers, that's for sure). Have a nice day Very Happy
|

replied April 26th, 2010
ventolin vs Proair
My 9 yr old had been using ProAir for his asthma which did not appear to work as well or as quickly as the old now banned form of albuterol. He was recently hospitalized with pneumonia at Boston''s Children Hosp and I noticed they used ventolin on him. He likes it better and I like it better because it has a counter at the bottom so I know when it''s empty.
|

replied May 16th, 2010
ProAir did not work for me. I couldn't tell if the canister was full or empty and it was never as effective as the old-style canisters.
I complained to my primary doctor about ProAir and she acknowledged that it doesn't work well for some people but we had to make do with it. It was when I visited an urgent care doctor for bronchitis and again complained about ProAir that I was finally given a prescription for Ventolin and it works MUCH better for me, plus it has a counter so there's no worrying about how much is left. I'm not sure about the cost difference as I have insurance; they were both $25 co-pays.

I suggest you try the Ventolin.
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
HELP
i went to urgent care and told them about the wheeze i had and the doctor wrote on the prescription ventolin proair hfa but the pharmacy gave me proair? why? was i supposed to get ventolin? the proair seems to stop the wheeze but it does make my throat have some mucus and if i take 2 puffs the way back of my tongue feels like it touches the back of my throat but i can still breathe.
|

replied September 8th, 2011
Ventolin vs Proair
Original poster correct. All inhalers have the ethanol EXCEPT Ventolin. I was given Ventolin originally, did great! Next time was given Proair and it's VERY ineffectual. Teva Respiatory LLC will not reimburse, which I think is BAD customer service. I am self-pay and the Ventolin was a little more ($40 vs $33) but well worth it, considering the $33 was basically thrown away.
|

replied February 15th, 2013
My two sons 10 & 6 are asthmatic and plays sports year round. Ventolin is by far the BEST. One was hospitalized and they gave us Ventolin which before then we only knew of ProAir. I practically beg their doctor for Ventolin over ProAir. I pay such close attention to our boys and believe you me....i do know what works and what doesn't. I tell my friends who have asthmatic children about the huge difference between the two and they should choose Ventolin too.
|

replied February 15th, 2013
My two sons 10 & 6 are asthmatic and plays sports year round. Ventolin is by far the BEST. One was hospitalized and they gave us Ventolin which before then we only knew of ProAir. I practically beg their doctor for Ventolin over ProAir. I pay such close attention to our boys and believe you me....i do know what works and what doesn't. I tell my friends who have asthmatic children about the huge difference between the two and they should choose Ventolin too.
|

replied March 24th, 2013
Ventolin vs Proair
I just started using Ventolin after using Proair so I have not had time to notice the difference yet. I did buy my Ventolin from WalMart and it only cost me $19.00 without using my insurance were as Proair cost me $40 with my insurance. After reading these reviews I hope my experience with Ventolin will be better and cheaper than Proair
|