Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Vegetarian diet to gain weight ?

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
User Profile
Hi, i m 20 and my height 5.9inch and from past 2-3 years my weight is 50kgs, i m not able to gain weight... please suggest me a veg diet by which i can gain weight and my BMI should be normal...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Either there is a problem with the website or (more likely) the reply was inappropriate or was just an advertisement for some product. They don't allow that on this website.

My advice would be to get more proteins and fats in your diet. Vegetarian diets consist of mostly plants (of course) that are mainly made up of carbohydrates. Make sure you are getting plenty of proteins and good, healthy fats. Many "classic" carb-rich, vegetarian combination of foods provide all of the essential amino acids that your body needs to construct proteins, called complete proteins. Do a search for "complete protein food combination" and you should see how the pattern works. It usually involves putting some type of grain product with another food. Examples include beans and rice, peanut butter and bread, etc.

Eggs are also a complete protein in themselves and contain fat, too. Also make sure you are getting plenty of good fats, like those in avocados, olives, olive oil, nuts, seeds, etc. These add calories and are easy to add to things (plus they taste really good).

Also, it would also be good to get a check-up by your doctor to make sure that there isn't some medical reason for you not gaining weight. Your doctor may also suggest that you have a consultation with a nutritionist to make sure that you are getting everything your body needs, while still maintaining your vegetarian diet.

Do some searches on your own. Try also search for "gaining weight as a vegetarian."

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?