Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Vegetarian diet effects on period

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Over the past 3-4 months I've adopted a vegetarian diet (although I still include seafood, eggs and cheese). Since then I've noticed a dramatic difference in my periods.

Previously, I experienced heavy and long flow duration (about 8 days with the heaviest days being the first 4) and extremely bad cramps (typically only the first two days, without Midol or something in large doses, i wouldn't be able to function).

Now, my period is almost the opposite of what it was before the diet change. I experience a very light start (only needing a pantyliner or two a day, for the first 2 days), then I have a normal flow for about 2 days, and I have almost no cramping.

I'm not complaining, its been a great change. I just want to know if my assumption that the vegetarian diet is what is helping, or if my symptoms might be caused by something else that I should get checked out for?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2009
I had the same change after switching to a Veg diet. It's one of the best perks in my opinion! Though I notice more cramping if I've consumed more milk than usual... (but I'm usually all about the soy).
|

replied October 9th, 2010
How long did it take for the change in your menstrual cycle to happen? I have only been pescatarian for about 2 months and this month I haven't gotten my period at all (going on 2 weeks late.) I have been using pregnancy tests about 2 a week just to settle my fear of an unwanted pregnancy.
|

replied October 24th, 2010
I became vegetarian in January and since then, I've noticed no change in flow or length of my period, but my cycle days has been erratic. I used to be 28 days on the dot and now it goes between 24 days and 31 days - mostly shorter than 28 days. I am planning to go see my Doctor since I am only 35 and shouldn't be perimenopausal yet. I just started wondering if it was my lack of beef, chicken and pork (I too still eat eggs, fish and cheese).
|

replied September 9th, 2011
I became a pesceterian about 3 years ago and my periods became lighter then i stopped eating fish about 6 months ago and my periods are nearly non exsistant. Sometimes they become a little heavier if i take a lot of iron. I recently had a little "scare" but 4 tests say negitive. I have been feeling a little sick and when i really really think about it i heave but am never actually sick and can not heave if i don't want to if that made sense..(still anxious about it which probably contributes to the nasuea),..but i think that might be down to too much milk as i only really got sick in thee past week or so and i started having cereal and creamed potatoes and cheese basically 100000 times a day. Im currently on my second period since my "intimacy"(i dont know if i had sex or not) & theyre very close together now like barely 3 weeks apart and i barely just mark a pad. I had cramps and tender breasts. this month im going to try a better diet with less dairy and see how i feel (and probably take another few tests!!) However is there any other reason my periods are so erratic and light?
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
You should really see a doctor and get a blood test to see if you are pregnant. And I'm assuming that if you don't know if you had sex or not, that perhaps you are thinking you may have been taken advantage of? All the more reason to see a doc, (and also, no matter how drunk you may have been, or whatever the case may be, it is NOT ok for someone to take advantage of you like that... I'm not assuming that you are dismissing it, but I just wanted to say that you shouldn't, no one has the right to treat you that way, no matter what.) I have had pretty bad period my whole life, lots of cramping but not much flow. I was a vegetarian for 8 years, (started the year before I got my first period) and then started eating chicken and fish again at around 20 years and my flow was heavier, and periods longer. (cramps weren't really worse, but I did develop polycystic ovarian syndrome during this time, and THAT is worse, by far.... anyway, 2 months ago, (at age 2Cool I went Vegan, whole foods, (no refined or processed foods) and Almost no bleeding, with NO cramps AT ALL. The only pain I am having is actually in my ovary, which is from the cysts, and even that is AMAZINGLY less painful than normal. (In the past I have been hospitalized for it, and at home had to take hydrocodone...) So yeah, pretty sure that not eating animal protein is REALLY REALLY good for your reproductive system. Go Veg.
|

replied January 5th, 2012
I've been on a veg diet for 6 days, and to be on the safe side I did take a pregnancy test and it came back negative, could it be the veg diet or maybe just the wrong time of day taken for the test, oh, I'm 5 days late, I'm not really worried but I just want to make sure it was normal or not.
|