Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

variety of Mono symptoms

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
Having been diagnosed with Mono 3 wks ago (onset probably July) and finally looking into forums, I am quite struck by both the wide range of Mono symptoms, the commonality of certain symptoms, and the lack of “official” information.

For instance, this past week I have had debilitating dizziness/lightheadedness that I couldn’t describe – until I found a post here (can’t remember who): "lightheaded almost, dizzy sort-of, but not really... as in I'm not actually dizzy." Perfect!

However, this symptom (which not everyone experiences) is not listed in the official literature, and until I started looking into the forums, I had been panicking that my real problem was some other undiagnosed terminal illness. But I am reading “dizziness” posts all over the place.

It is very helpful to me to hear the varied experiences of the posters here. There are many myths about Mono: you CAN have it more than once; older people CAN contract it (I am 49, and have seen many other people in their 30’s thru 50’s posting); depending on the person, certain “typical” symptoms may NOT present, i.e. sore throat, fever, rashes, while other symptoms DO.

And if I hear one more junior-high-humor-quip from my friends about it being a “kissing disease” I’ll scream (if I have the energy.)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 20th, 2010
Hi. The one thing I have noticed about mono/epstein barr virus, is that the symptoms vary greatly from person to person. I, like you, contracted Epstein Barr later in life. I got sick a little over a year ago and was 40 at the time. I did not actually have "mono"-type symptoms. No sore throat, no swollen glands, no fever. What did get was a lot of neurological symptoms. I had numbness and tingling in my legs and face, sensitivity to light, eye pain, over-all muscle weakness, (although much more prominent in my leg muscles) fatigue, and the dizziness that you are describing. I am much better now, but have had a couple flare ups over the last a year. My doc says that at our age, it can take 2-4 years to be 100% normal again. I hope it doesn't take me that long!
|
Users who thank Annie16 for this post: bander 

replied January 18th, 2011
mono
can bloating and gas be a symptom of mono? i have been suffering from extreme fatigue,naseau headaches constipation diahreehea weight gain and overall malaise for 3 weeks.
|

replied January 19th, 2011
I am 41 and waiting for my blood test results. Physicians assistant in my doctors office said I sound and feel (glands and spleen) like a classic case of mono, doctor said he doesn't think it is because of my age. So discouraged right now. I hate the fatigue and exhaustion. It's so not like me to be like this.
|